WEST POINT – John William “Bill” Vest, 93, passed away, on Tuesday, Feb. 4, 2014, at Mississippi State Veterans Home in Kosciusko. He was born in Stevenson, Ala., to Ella Mae Hart and James Horton Vest Sr. He was a farmer and former service station owner and was a member of the Baptist faith. He […]
Tag Archives | WW II
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – As a young man trudging on foot across central Europe in the Rhineland Campaign in World War II – some of the fiercest fighting known to mankind – Howard Miskelly said he was not afraid. “When you are 20 years old, you are not afraid of […]
BRUCE – Leslie Wayne Collins, known as “”Chick”” to his family and friends, passed away on Saturday, Dec. 28, 2013, at 89. He was born in Calhoun County, Jan. 4, 1924, to the late Jesse Leland and Jettie Valeria Kimsey Collins. He is the beloved father of Ava Jo Collins of New Orleans, La., and Dr. […]
CHICKASAW COUNTY – Military men and women were honored for their service to country and community at local schools across the county on Veteran’s Day. Students at Houston, Okolona and Chickasaw County schools assisted with planning and preparation for a variety of events Monday to honor local veterans and remember their sacrifice and service. “This […]
The GFWC-MFWC Lanier Club of Okolona will once again sponsor “Wreaths Across America” for the Odd Fellows Cemetery. The club will sell wreaths for $15 each through Nov. 20 in honor or in memory of military veterans and active service personnel. The wreaths will then be placed on veteran’s graves in the Odd Fellows Cemetery […]
At the eleventh hour on the eleventh day of the eleventh month in 1918, an armistice, or cease-fire, went into effect ending the fighting in World War I. After four long years, the “Great War” was over. President Woodrow Wilson had called it the “war to end all wars” and the war “to make the […]
CALHOUN CITY – John Quincy Aven, 91, died Tuesday, July 9, 2013, at his home. He was born Feb. 3, 1922, in Big Creek to John Q. Aven Sr. and Alice Litten Aven. He was a retired U.S. Postal mail carrier. He was a retired sergeant and a veteran of World War II in the […]
- Garner selected as State Champ March 1, 2014
- Lady Rams open season March 6, 2014
- Voter ID available at Clerk’s office March 6, 2014
- EDITORIAL: School Consolidation March 6, 2014
- Claude Johnson March 6, 2014
- WINTER JAM: Christian music festival sells out at BancorpSouth Arena March 7, 2014
- Reading is learning March 7, 2014
- All runs come to an end March 7, 2014
- Senior night March 7, 2014
- Claude Johnson March 7, 2014
- Marathon set for Tanglefoot Trail | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Trail opening was top story for 2013 [...
- Tickets issued for dogs in Okolona | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Robertson speaks to Okolona Aldermen [...
- DOCKET: Circuit Court in Okolona | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Circuit Court verdicts imposed in Okolon...
- WEDDING: Earnest/Morgan | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] E.J. Earnest […]...
- 60th ANNIVERSARY: Rad & Betty Clark | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Ralph Coggins […]...