HOUSTON – Chickasaw County Circuit Clerk Sandra Willis died Sunday after a bout with cancer and is being remembered by the community as a firm, caring teacher and efficient county official. A special moment of silence was held on the opening day of Circuit Court at the Chickasaw County Courthouse in Houston Monday morning where […]
Tag Archives | Willis
SHERMAN – Frances Ruth Ballard Bruce, 78, died Friday, May 9, 2014, at her residence in Sherman. She was born Feb. 2, 1936, in Okolona to Ernest Carl Ballard and Mary Inez Willis Ballard. She lived in the Dallas, Texas, area many years before returning to her native Northeast Mississippi 32 years ago. Her working […]
CHICKASAW COUNTY – Local school districts have traditionally handled their own school board elections at various times, but a new state law makes it a countywide event in November this year. “They used to conduct their own elections with their own people and everything,” said Chickasaw County Circuit Clerk Sandra Willis. “That won’t be […]
CHICKASAW COUNTY – A new state law requires voters to be able to identify themselves to poll-workers and has prompted a new photo ID card to be be made available from local circuit clerks. The new technology and equipment were provided to the Chickasaw County Circuit Clerk’s office earlier this year and went on-line […]
WHITFIELD – Timothy Willis, 53, died Tuesday, Feb. 11, 2014, at Mississippi State Hospital at Whitfield. A native of Calhoun County, he was the son of Frank Silas Sr. and Annie Mae Willis. Services will be 2:30 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 15, at Pontotoc Second Baptist Church. Elder Glenn Huggins will officiate. Burial will be in […]
Open letter to the Houston Fire Department, Thank you, thank you, thank you for saving the Willis family from our own stupid mistakes. You saved our Christmas season! So naturally you were the topic of conversation at our Christmas gatherings. Relief washed over us when all those big red fire trucks arrived. Your prompt, professional […]
HOUSTON – They call it The Square. There are many towns in Northeast Mississippi built on a square but few rival the beauty and visionary design of Houston. “Houston’s downtown was laid out by our founder, Mr. (Joel) Pinson, who was also a surveyor,” said Joyce East, executive director of Historic Hometown Houston. “The square […]
- Gas goes under $2 January 23, 2015
- United needs to fill 300 jobs – quickly January 27, 2015
- Arrested party host identified January 27, 2015
- NEMCC students nominated to Who’s Who. January 27, 2015
- State Auditor recovers $70,000 For City of Greenville January 28, 2015
- Knight turn out lights on Houston January 29, 2015
- FLOYD INGRAM: The culture of the Super Bowl January 29, 2015
- EDITORIAL: A tough job January 29, 2015
- County seeks to refinance jail bonds January 29, 2015
- Locals serve on Indian Delegation January 28, 2015
- Royal Chocolate: Great to see progress in my hometown!...
- Cherry Walker: I had heard this woman's name before so I did som...
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...