CHICKASAW COUNTY – Nationally the number of teen pregnancies reported each year is falling but Mississippi and Chickasaw County are still above the national average in births to girls ages 15 to 19. The factors driving the drop in teen pregnancy on the national level are mixed and local professionals said Chickasaw County numbers also […]
Tag Archives | Welfare
By Emily Wagster Pettus Associated Press JACKSON – Republican Phil Bryant is starting his third year as Mississippi governor, and he says he wants to make public safety the top focus of the 2014 legislative session, which begins at noon Tuesday. He wants to train more state troopers and create “strike force” groups to help […]
Pull your weight, work for entitlement Dear Editor, The long dreaded automatic spending cuts of the sequester have now taken effect. Yet the sky did not fall despite the ominous warnings of Chicken Little and company. In realty these very modest reductions in government spending are all our elected officials have done to actually […]
By Bro. Derrick Whitfield Shady Grove Missionary Baptist Church “Go to the ant, thou sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise.” Proverbs 6:6 When we want to view ourselves, when we want to view how well we are doing, often times we tend to look at our next door neighbor. We tend to compare […]
- Making the grade December 12, 2014
- Take a bite out of Christmas crime December 16, 2014
- United Furniture to expand in former Lane building December 16, 2014
- Topper Old Timer December 16, 2014
- Houston superintendent’s contract not renewed December 17, 2014
- Board hears report on HUES December 18, 2014
- FLOYD INGRAM: Christmas in Houston, Mississippi December 18, 2014
- EDITORIAL: Change December 18, 2014
- Houston considering fire chief December 18, 2014
- Tupelo man killed in Tuesday morning wreck December 17, 2014
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...
- Sad for Our Kids: Bravo! You've done your job as an advocate for a...
- Tammy Pettit: I get that you and I know several others are upset...