Every community has their own special flavor and activities that set it apart from the rest of the world. Those of you who have grown up here may not realize how unique Houston is and some of the things that make it so different from other places on Earth. They are things like red, sandy […]
Tag Archives | WCPC
HOUSTON – September 30 came and went this year and, well, like the song goes, it was just “another sleepy, dusty Delta day.” But in 1967 more than 2,000 people jammed the Square in downtown Houston to catch a glimpse of country music star Bobbie Gentry as the community honored the Chickasaw County native with […]
HOUSTON – Winds fanned a noon-time fire into one of the hottest blazes local firefighters can remember in some time. The fire was reported at at 687 Pontotoc Street at 11:18 a.m. Thursday with firefighters bringing the blaze under control about 1:45 p.m. and staying on the scene until 2:55 p.m. overhauling the structure and […]
HOUSTON – The three blinking radio towers of WCPC have been a local landmark for more than 50 years, but the view changed last week. A crew from Electronic Research, Inc., out of Indiana, dropped the western tower June 25 and then scooped up the steel girders and guy-wires and carted them off. “We […]
HOUSTON – Robin Mathis will be the first to say Houston has been good to him. Mathis and his brother co-founded WCPC radio station in 1955 and though he sold the station several years ago, Mathis, 83, still shows up at the red-brick building on old Highway 15 in Houston five days a week. “Radio […]
by Leslie Criss NEMS Daily Journal It was 1967, and our smal l-town Mississippi lives seemed peaceful, though we were in the midst of a war in a place called Vietnam. Our days were divided, unevenly, between learning in classrooms and playing hard during recess. At night, we watched family-friendly TV, some of us still […]
- EDITORIAL: Collecting old fines, collecting on promises April 28, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- CARA CHISM: Let’s work together for community May 1, 2016
- SCORES: Baseball Saturday, April 30 May 1, 2016
- Mississippi black bears are on the move May 3, 2016
- DAN MULLEN: ‘No intention of ever leaving’ May 3, 2016
- Vardaman sweeps Biggersville May 3, 2016
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings May 3, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...