CHICKASAW COUNTY – Local school districts have traditionally handled their own school board elections at various times, but a new state law makes it a countywide event in November this year. “They used to conduct their own elections with their own people and everything,” said Chickasaw County Circuit Clerk Sandra Willis. “That won’t be […]
Tag Archives | Vote
JACKSON – Mississippi’s roughly 30,000 classroom teachers will have a better idea Tuesday about whether they will get a pay raise during the upcoming school year. The Senate Education and Appropriations committees must pass a pay raise proposal by Tuesday for the issue to remain alive during the 2014 session. It is beginning to look […]
HOUSTON – Taxes collected by the City of Houston will increase but city taxes will not. The Houston Board of Aldermen approved the Houston School District’s budget and then set the city’s tax levy in two votes at a special called meeting Thursday night at City Hall. The first vote saw aldermen approve the district’s […]
JACKSON – Almost 50 cities have failed to certify election results with the Secretary of State’s office, including more than a dozen from Northeast Mississippi. State law requires cities to submit certified election results to the Secretary of State’s Office within five days of the general election, which for the general election was June 11. […]
HOUSTON – Voters put incumbent city leaders back into office as Tony Uhiren and Frank Thomas reclaimed their seats on the Houston Board of Alderman. Neither race was close in the only two contested races in Chickasaw County that pitted Republicans and Democrats in municipal elections June 4. Thomas ran as a Republican for his […]
I turned the corner Friday morning on the way to work and spotted the Flags on the Courthouse Square. Just a moment watching dozens of grand ole red-white-and-blue slowly move in the morning breeze made my day. I hope there were others who drove by and were also filled with pride and appreciation for […]
OKOLONA – Okolona’s race for mayor came down to the wire, with absentee ballots determing the winner in a close contest. At the close of voting, former Mayor Sherman Carouthers led incumbent Mayor Louise Cole, 455-450, but once absentees and affadavits were counted and certified, Cole had retained her seat by a margin of 507-477. […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal CHICKASAW COUNTY – Paychecks for aldermen in Chickasaw County’s four municipalities vary based on population and tax base. Okolona pays its mayor and city marshal the best, but aldermen are paid less than cities of similar size. Okolona’s mayor is paid $32,000 a year or $2,666.67 a month. The city […]
The deadline to qualify to run for a spot in city government in Okolona, Houston, Houlka and Woodland was Friday. The candidates have stepped up and filed the appropriate paperwork, paid their fees and tossed their hat in the ring. Let us be the first to say we thank every candidate for the courage and […]
- LOCAL FOCUS: Rutherford Chiropractic March 5, 2014
- Senior night March 7, 2014
- All runs come to an end March 7, 2014
- Reading is learning March 7, 2014
- WINTER JAM: Christian music festival sells out at BancorpSouth Arena March 7, 2014
- Lenten lunches begin Wednesday March 11, 2014
- HOSA students moving on to State March 11, 2014
- Friends of Scouting dinner coming March 11, 2014
- Lady Toppers softball camp March 29 March 11, 2014
- Topper football pictures sought March 11, 2014
- Marathon set for Tanglefoot Trail | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Trail opening was top story for 2013 [...
- Tickets issued for dogs in Okolona | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Robertson speaks to Okolona Aldermen [...
- DOCKET: Circuit Court in Okolona | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Circuit Court verdicts imposed in Okolon...
- WEDDING: Earnest/Morgan | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] E.J. Earnest […]...
- 60th ANNIVERSARY: Rad & Betty Clark | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Ralph Coggins […]...