By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – United Way of Chickasaw County will host its backpack giveaway again this year, but they need volunteers to help with the event and donors to step up and fund it. United Way and local volunteers gave away over 700 backpacks filled with paper, pencils and school supplies, […]
Tag Archives | volunteers
Special to the Chickasaw Journal COPES has been a part of the community in Chickasaw County for years and has repeatedly helped youth and families who have fallen on hard times or between the cracks of traditional human service program. And COPES is always looking for volunteers or those with resources – financial, educational or […]
Volunteer fire departments may be the best economic development tool ever created for rural communities. While there are many beautiful places to build houses in the country, banks are hesitant to loan money to construct a home unless the investment is covered by insurance. And while hardworking country folk can often afford the cost of […]
Two people died in a house fire near West Point on Thursday night. The fire at 2090 Dr. Sears Road killed Alvin Tallie Sr., 54, and his wife Fatenia Tallie, 54, said Clay County Coroner Alvin Carter Jr. Another adult and a child also were in the house and escaped, Carter said. The child was […]
HOUSTON – Nine years ago Dr. Victor Horn opened a simple free clinic with the goal that it offer quality care and be free to those is served. Horn, and a staff of volunteers who now operate the clinic one Saturday a month at First Baptist Church of Houston, have been named the recipients […]
Dear Editor, I serve on the board of the Thorn Volunteer Fire Department, and I know how important a fire department is to the community. However, when my family was on the receiving end of your service, I was overwhelmed at how thrilled I was to see you driving up, and how I felt everything […]
The Salvation Army Kettle campaign kicks off in Houston Nov. 25 at Grocer’s Pride and Nov. 29 at Walmart 411. Volunteers are needed to ring the bells for two-hour shifts at both local stores to help the less fortunate. Funds raised during the Kettle Campaign help the Salvation Army provide assistance to local residents throughout […]
HOUSTON – Rick Burgess watched kids straddle a horse for the first time and smile at the 14th Annual Fall Fun and Games day the Chickasaw County Agri-Center. And that made him smile. “I’ve been doing it for that reason since this started,” said Burgess. “It’s not a real big thing in the world of […]
HOUSTON – Another season of Upward basketball is in the bag, or in the basket, as the case may be and organizers are thankful for the support they received from the community, although more is always needed. The ninth season of the Christian-based youth basketball season saw a drought of volunteers that resulted in cutting […]
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings April 25, 2016
- SCORES: Thursday, April 28 softball and baseball April 29, 2016
- Magazine available to community April 29, 2016
- NFL DRAFT: Tunsil falls to Miami in coach pay scandal, Jones misses 1st Round April 29, 2016
- Tunsil says he took money from an Ole Miss coach April 29, 2016
- SCORES: Baseball Saturday, April 30 May 1, 2016
- CARA CHISM: Let’s work together for community May 1, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...