Special to the Chickasaw Journal COPES has been a part of the community in Chickasaw County for years and has repeatedly helped youth and families who have fallen on hard times or between the cracks of traditional human service program. And COPES is always looking for volunteers or those with resources – financial, educational or […]
Tag Archives | volunteers
Volunteer fire departments may be the best economic development tool ever created for rural communities. While there are many beautiful places to build houses in the country, banks are hesitant to loan money to construct a home unless the investment is covered by insurance. And while hardworking country folk can often afford the cost of […]
Two people died in a house fire near West Point on Thursday night. The fire at 2090 Dr. Sears Road killed Alvin Tallie Sr., 54, and his wife Fatenia Tallie, 54, said Clay County Coroner Alvin Carter Jr. Another adult and a child also were in the house and escaped, Carter said. The child was […]
HOUSTON – Nine years ago Dr. Victor Horn opened a simple free clinic with the goal that it offer quality care and be free to those is served. Horn, and a staff of volunteers who now operate the clinic one Saturday a month at First Baptist Church of Houston, have been named the recipients […]
Dear Editor, I serve on the board of the Thorn Volunteer Fire Department, and I know how important a fire department is to the community. However, when my family was on the receiving end of your service, I was overwhelmed at how thrilled I was to see you driving up, and how I felt everything […]
The Salvation Army Kettle campaign kicks off in Houston Nov. 25 at Grocer’s Pride and Nov. 29 at Walmart 411. Volunteers are needed to ring the bells for two-hour shifts at both local stores to help the less fortunate. Funds raised during the Kettle Campaign help the Salvation Army provide assistance to local residents throughout […]
HOUSTON – Rick Burgess watched kids straddle a horse for the first time and smile at the 14th Annual Fall Fun and Games day the Chickasaw County Agri-Center. And that made him smile. “I’ve been doing it for that reason since this started,” said Burgess. “It’s not a real big thing in the world of […]
HOUSTON – Another season of Upward basketball is in the bag, or in the basket, as the case may be and organizers are thankful for the support they received from the community, although more is always needed. The ninth season of the Christian-based youth basketball season saw a drought of volunteers that resulted in cutting […]
- CRIME ROUNDUP: Houston resident arrested for sexual assault May 16, 2015
- Blissard is 4A state tennis champ May 19, 2015
- COPES: Super Moms honored May 20, 2015
- HELP WANTED: Mentors, volunteers sought for COPES May 20, 2015
- Big fish, big smile May 20, 2015
- Houlka Homecoming 2015 is this weekend May 22, 2015
- Houston aldermen discuss Park & Recreation funds May 22, 2015
- East Webster toppled by inside-the-park HR in Game Two May 21, 2015
- Okolona graduates urged to excel May 21, 2015
- Police seek Dollar General bandit May 21, 2015
- Kansas and Mississippi become 8th and 9th states to allow carrying without a permit - Crime Prevention Research Center: […] The Kansas and Mississippi governors hav...
- Tg007.net: if you want the town to grow stop taxing the busin...
- i’m engaged, you can be too | architecture | equality: […] the design and related impacts of a new...
- Royal Chocolate: Great to see progress in my hometown!...
- Cherry Walker: I had heard this woman's name before so I did som...