HOUSTON – The Houston Volunteer Fire Department held their annual banquet and awards ceremony Thursday, with one of their veteran members taking top honors. Robert Goza was presented the 2014 Roy Gray Firefighter of the Year award. “I’ve been doing this officially for 51 years,” said Goza. “I’ve been responding to fire calls in this […]
Tag Archives | Volunteer
Last week on this page the Chickasaw Journal ran a column by Volunteer Firefighter Bobby Sanderson championing Volunteer Firefighter Robert Goza and his over 50 years of service. Volunteer fire departments may be the best economic development tool ever created for rural communities. While there are many beautiful places to build houses in the country, […]
On Page One of this week’s Chickasaw Journal you will find photos and a story about the Color Run held at Joe Brigance Park on Saturday. The community gathered to run and be dusted with colored powder and approximately $10 of their $40 entry fee was allocated one of eight local charities. A quick read […]
HOULKA – When firefighters typically gather in bunch there is usually a fire and Saturday’s community event in downtown Houlka was no different. “We are good at putting out fire and here we are trying to start one,” said Houlka Fire Chief Terry Short. “We are cooking hamburgers, hotdogs and we’ve got all the trimmings. […]
HOUSTON – Steve Duncan was so glad to be at Thursday’s Houston Volunteer Fire Department Annual Awards Banquet. Duncan, 44, passed out at his father’s shop on Okolona Cutoff on Nov. 7 and the Houston Fire Department and local EMTs revived him and transported him to Trace Regional Hospital. He was later taken to Northeast […]
HOUSTON – The foundation has been poured and contractors are looking for a couple of days of good weather to start erecting steel for a new fire station in Houston. Workers were busy last week placing pipe for plumbing, digging footings and pouring concrete for the new 50X52-foot structure. The three-bay metal building will keep […]
HOUSTON – Ashley Bass is confined to a wheel chair, but her art knows no bounds. “My art allows me to express myself,” said said Bass. “A lot of people like my art and I can’t tell you how important that is when they look at one of my paintings, smile and tell me […]
When tornadoes swept through Chickasaw County two years ago many in the community found out the value of insurance. Those with good insurance saw their homes repaired promptly. Sadly, fire destroys more homes in our community than tornadoes and we are fortunate to have municipal fire departments and county volunteer fire departments ready to come […]
On Page One of this week’s Chickasaw Journal you will find a photo and story about the Upward Youth Basketball program that just recently wrapped up another successful season. Kids gathered at Houston First United Methodist Church each Saturday this winter to play a little basketball, learn a little about sportsmanship and have a little […]
- Vardaman softball coach arrested April 18, 2015
- CenterStage to perform at ICC April 22, 2015
- Cyclist dies on Natchez Trace Parkway April 22, 2015
- EDITORIAL: Voice your vote April 23, 2015
- Testing time April 23, 2015
- State benefits from Natchez Trace Parkway visitors April 24, 2015
- Houston hosts Flywheel Festival April 24, 2015
- Houston honors best and brightest April 23, 2015
- FLOYD INGRAM: Flywheel fun starts Friday April 23, 2015
- Hilltoppers eye playoffs April 23, 2015
- Kansas and Mississippi become 8th and 9th states to allow carrying without a permit - Crime Prevention Research Center: […] The Kansas and Mississippi governors hav...
- Tg007.net: if you want the town to grow stop taxing the busin...
- i’m engaged, you can be too | architecture | equality: […] the design and related impacts of a new...
- Royal Chocolate: Great to see progress in my hometown!...
- Cherry Walker: I had heard this woman's name before so I did som...