(Courtesy Photo) Ray and Jonathan Laney bagged two turkey on the same day for the second year in a row. Ray’s tom has a 10-inch beard and nine-year-old Jonathan’s had a 7-1/2-inch beard. The two were hunting in Chickasaw County near Houlka on March 26, 2015.
Tag Archives | turkey
Hoyt Smith killed his first turkey on March 11, 2015 while hunting with his Daddy. The turkey had a 10-inch beard. Hoyt is the 11-year-old son of Andy and Deanna Smith of Houston.
JACKSON – For Mississippi’s nearly 50,000 turkey hunters, the day they have been anticipating is almost at hand. Spring turkey season opens March 14 and ends May 1. For hunters age 15 and under, the youth season began a week earlier on March 7. Expectations for the 2015 season are mixed. On one hand, much […]
JACKSON — Landowners, managers and hunters wanting to learn how to develop their land for turkey and quail can take part in a seminar on Feb. 27. The Mississippi State University Extension Service and the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks are organizing the workshop, which will begin at 8:30 a.m. at the Mississippi […]
HOUSTON – A 15-year-old boy was airlifted from Chickasaw County with a bullet wound to the head following what is believed to be a hunting accident Thursday. Chickasaw County Sheriff’s Department Chief Deputy James Myers said the incident occurred about noon off of Enon Road in Eastern Chickasaw County after the […]
WEST POINT – Floyd Theron “Turkey” Vaughn Sr., 82, passed away on Monday, Dec. 2, 2013, at the State Veterans Home in Kosciusko. He was born Sept. 19, 1931, in Prairie to Thelma Jane Thornton Vaughn and James Other “Shorty” Vaughn. He was a retired U.S. Air Force technical sergeant for 22 years. He first served during […]
OKOLONA – The three first grade classes from Okolona Elementary School held a Thanksgiving Feast Nov. 21 and, in the true spirit of the season, invited friends to join them. First grade teachers, Mallory Ellis, Sonja Hobson and Michelle Priest, along with first grade students welcomed parents, school board members and principal, Lashanda Hoskins to […]
HOUSTON – The U.S. Commerce Department estimates one in six children in America go to bed hungry at least once a week. And that number has to be higher in Houston and rural Chickasaw County. First Baptist Church Food Pantry gave out 99 turkeys last week at its monthly food ministry. Those in line were […]
Traditional Thanksgiving dinner will be served at the Excel Commons on Main Street in Okolona Nov. 28 at noon. Those who might otherwise be without family on Thanksgiving are invited to join the fellowship meal at the Commons. Limited take outs are available. Volunteers are always welcome and may call Sr. Liz Brown at 456-2030 […]
WATER VALLEY – Charles “Buddy” Simmons, 64, died Saturday, Feb. 16, 2013, at his home. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Monday at the Coleman Funeral Home Chapel. Interment will be in Turkey Creek Baptist Church Cemetery in Calhoun County. Visitation is 5 to 8 p.m. Sunday at the funeral home. Memorials may be […]
LOCAL FOLKS: Kansas turkey hunting trip inspires kidney donation by Chris Kieffer/NEMS Daily Journal Avid turkey hunter Rob Robinson displays his record-setting Eastern turkey at his home near Eupora. Robinson recently donated a kidney to a friend he met while turkey hunting in Kansas. (C. Todd Sherman) WEBSTER COUNTY – Rob Robinson’s first meeting with […]
- CRIME ROUNDUP: Houston resident arrested for sexual assault May 16, 2015
- Blissard is 4A state tennis champ May 19, 2015
- COPES: Super Moms honored May 20, 2015
- HELP WANTED: Mentors, volunteers sought for COPES May 20, 2015
- Big fish, big smile May 20, 2015
- Houlka Homecoming 2015 is this weekend May 22, 2015
- Houston aldermen discuss Park & Recreation funds May 22, 2015
- East Webster toppled by inside-the-park HR in Game Two May 21, 2015
- Okolona graduates urged to excel May 21, 2015
- Police seek Dollar General bandit May 21, 2015
- Kansas and Mississippi become 8th and 9th states to allow carrying without a permit - Crime Prevention Research Center: […] The Kansas and Mississippi governors hav...
- Tg007.net: if you want the town to grow stop taxing the busin...
- i’m engaged, you can be too | architecture | equality: […] the design and related impacts of a new...
- Royal Chocolate: Great to see progress in my hometown!...
- Cherry Walker: I had heard this woman's name before so I did som...