JACKSON — Landowners, managers and hunters wanting to learn how to develop their land for turkey and quail can take part in a seminar on Feb. 27. The Mississippi State University Extension Service and the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks are organizing the workshop, which will begin at 8:30 a.m. at the Mississippi […]
Tag Archives | turkey
HOUSTON – A 15-year-old boy was airlifted from Chickasaw County with a bullet wound to the head following what is believed to be a hunting accident Thursday. Chickasaw County Sheriff’s Department Chief Deputy James Myers said the incident occurred about noon off of Enon Road in Eastern Chickasaw County after the […]
WEST POINT – Floyd Theron “Turkey” Vaughn Sr., 82, passed away on Monday, Dec. 2, 2013, at the State Veterans Home in Kosciusko. He was born Sept. 19, 1931, in Prairie to Thelma Jane Thornton Vaughn and James Other “Shorty” Vaughn. He was a retired U.S. Air Force technical sergeant for 22 years. He first served during […]
OKOLONA – The three first grade classes from Okolona Elementary School held a Thanksgiving Feast Nov. 21 and, in the true spirit of the season, invited friends to join them. First grade teachers, Mallory Ellis, Sonja Hobson and Michelle Priest, along with first grade students welcomed parents, school board members and principal, Lashanda Hoskins to […]
HOUSTON – The U.S. Commerce Department estimates one in six children in America go to bed hungry at least once a week. And that number has to be higher in Houston and rural Chickasaw County. First Baptist Church Food Pantry gave out 99 turkeys last week at its monthly food ministry. Those in line were […]
Traditional Thanksgiving dinner will be served at the Excel Commons on Main Street in Okolona Nov. 28 at noon. Those who might otherwise be without family on Thanksgiving are invited to join the fellowship meal at the Commons. Limited take outs are available. Volunteers are always welcome and may call Sr. Liz Brown at 456-2030 […]
WATER VALLEY – Charles “Buddy” Simmons, 64, died Saturday, Feb. 16, 2013, at his home. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Monday at the Coleman Funeral Home Chapel. Interment will be in Turkey Creek Baptist Church Cemetery in Calhoun County. Visitation is 5 to 8 p.m. Sunday at the funeral home. Memorials may be […]
LOCAL FOLKS: Kansas turkey hunting trip inspires kidney donation by Chris Kieffer/NEMS Daily Journal Avid turkey hunter Rob Robinson displays his record-setting Eastern turkey at his home near Eupora. Robinson recently donated a kidney to a friend he met while turkey hunting in Kansas. (C. Todd Sherman) WEBSTER COUNTY – Rob Robinson’s first meeting with […]
- Weather prompts outages, closings, curfews February 26, 2015
- Lenten Luncheon continues this week March 2, 2015
- UPDATE: Four hurt, two dead in Calhoun County wreck March 2, 2015
- Moore to attend Clinton Global Initiative March 2, 2015
- Chickasaw United Way allocates dollars March 3, 2015
- Ice, sleet accumulation expected tonight in region March 4, 2015
- Bats go cold in Bulldogs’ first loss March 4, 2015
- Habitat seeks potential homeowners March 4, 2015
- Mitchell Adair named Hinds 2014 graduate March 3, 2015
- Another winter storm may await March 3, 2015
- Royal Chocolate: Great to see progress in my hometown!...
- Cherry Walker: I had heard this woman's name before so I did som...
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...