HOUSTON – Nationwide changes and trends in the national healthcare industry have prompted Trace Regional Hospital to begin the process of closing its emergency room and opening a rural health clinic. Trace Regional Hospital Administrator Gary Staten met with the Chickasaw County Board of Supervisors on July 7 and the Houston Board of Aldermen on […]
Tag Archives | Tupelo
CHICKASAW COUNTY – The local job market held steady as Chickasaw County continued to notch double-digit unemployment in May which is traditionally a strong hiring month in agriculture. Chickasaw County had a 10.3 unemployment rate in May with the state average being 8.0 and the national average being 6.1. Northeast Mississippi posted one of the […]
HOUSTON – Senatorial candidate Chris McDaniel is trying to visit ten towns a day in his campaign to unseat longtime incumbent Senator Thad Cochran, and Thursday, one of those stops was Houston. McDaniel dropped in Moore’s Restaurant in Houston and worked the room shaking hands and sitting down in booths with those eating breakfast, asking […]
By Chris Kieffer Daily Journal TUPELO – Mississippi’s lieutenant governor would like to amend the state’s new charter school law. Tate Reeves was among the primary forces behind the 2013 state law that allowed Mississippi’s first charter schools. For it to truly have an impact, he said on Wednesday, it must be changed to allow […]
TUPELO – Gustave “Gus” Victor Crippen, 59, died Monday, June 16, 2014, at North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo. Born in Cairo, Ill., he had lived in the Tupelo area for the last 22 years. He had worked in the foam/furniture industry his entire working life and was currently plant manager at VIP Cinema Seating […]
FULTON/TUPELO – Several area residents were among those who earned Associate of Arts or Associate of Applied Science degrees or certificates at the conclusion of the 2014 spring semester at Itawamba Community College. n Cedarbluff – Jordan Bruce Thompson, A.A.S. n Houlka – Sara E. Zachary, A.A.S.; Ishmuel Terrell Stephens, A.A.S.; Rebecca Lauren Parker, A.A. […]
JACKSON – Friends of Mississippi public schools are working statewide to get signatures on petitions for a constitutional amendment to require the state to adequately fund kindergarten through Grade 12. The petition drive is organized by Better Schools, Better Jobs, a statewide group formed to promote the issue for the November 2015 ballot. Signature collectors […]
More than 50 additional indictments from the Union County April 15-16 grand jury session have been released by the circuit clerk’s office. Indictments remain secret until defendants are taken into custody (if they are not already jailed) and formally served with the indictment papers. Officials said about 40 more indictments remain unreleased. Typically, the last […]
TUPELO – Bishop Milton Allen Clark Sr. died Wednesday, May 28, 2014, at his home. Arrangements are incomplete and will be announced later by Williams Memorial of Okolona.
TUPELO – Herbert Raymond “”Ray”” Goodman died Wednesday, May 21, 2014, in Tupelo. He was born in El Paso, Texas, Oct. 31, 1932, the son of Herbert Hatton Goodman and Hattie Mae Crosby Goodman. They moved to Summerland, his mother’s hometown, when he was five years old. In 1943 they moved to Laurel, where he […]
TUPELO – William Evans “Bull” Doss, 57, died Wednesday, May 21, 2014, at his home.He was born Nov. 2, 1956, in Houston to John William Doss and Betty Jo Prescott Doss.Services will be 10 a.m. Saturday at Houston Funeral Home in Houston with the Rev. Bobby Brock officiating. Burial will follow at Macedonia Cemetery in […]
TUPELO – Aline McFarland Cunningham, 87, died Monday, May 19, 2014, at North Mississippi Medical Center Hospice in Tupelo. She was formally of Houston. She was born April 25, 1927, in Orange County, Texas, to Jay Hugh Davis McFarland and May Maddy McFarland. She was a homemaker. She was a member of First Baptist Church, […]
- EDITORIAL: Collecting Fines July 23, 2015
- Houlka trustees Ok demolition, infrastructure details July 27, 2015
- FLOYD INGRAM: It’s time to consider your choices July 27, 2015
- ICC offering newNational Guard program July 27, 2015
- Summer details handled by Okolona trustees July 28, 2015
- Victoria Wofford awarded Yates Scholarship July 29, 2015
- Suspicious mailers sent before Primary Election July 29, 2015
- Houlka’s Hobson on rise July 29, 2015
- Area residents graduate ICC program July 28, 2015
- Area trio earns ICC scholarships July 28, 2015
- Jimmie Hardin: I for one cared that it was a week late. I live in...
- Daniel Drown: Great article about this timeless masterpiece that...
- Greg Schmidt: This is good news because this is one of the most ...
- Barbara Swanson: I found this amazing site to make a living online....
- Kansas and Mississippi become 8th and 9th states to allow carrying without a permit - Crime Prevention Research Center: […] The Kansas and Mississippi governors hav...