June 1, 2013, 12:45 a.m. Bill was born February 24, 1917 in Houston, Mississippi. He attended 13 schools throughout Texas and Mississippi before graduating from Houston (Miss.) High School in 1934. In May of 1937, Bill returned to Texas where the Corsicana-based contracting firm of E.W. Hable and Sons provided him with an invaluable apprenticeship […]
Tag Archives | Texas
HOUSTON – The Houston Solar Race team is once again preparing for national competition and residents and visitors to Houston will soon see the 12-time champion car around town and the area. The team is competing in the Winston Solar Challenge which this year will run from Texas to Los Angeles and have been […]
The Associated Press LAKE CHARLES, La. — A man arrested in a 51-year-old killing is being held in the Calcasieu Parish jail without bond. Authorities arrested 73-year-old William Felix Vail Friday for the October 1962 killing of his wife, Mary Horton Vail. Calcasieu Parish District Attorney John DeRosier says he intends to seek Felix Vail’s […]
HOULKA – They only allow 10 people per team at the Mississippi Organ Recovery/Donate Life Mississippi 5K. So the team from Houlka picked 10 people, formed a cheer-leading squad and even carried their own fans who sat in chairs and pulled for the home team as they honored the memory of Mekenzie Young, an 8-year-old […]
There are lots of furniture factories in Chickasaw County but few that have been around since 1976. Dixieland Furniture Manufacturing opened 37 years ago making sofas, loveseats and chairs and has found their niche in a industry with lots of ups and downs. The company continues to make upholstered furniture at the factory east of […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal Mr. and Mrs. Charles Daniel Williams of Columbus are pleased to announce the engagement of their daughter Meryl Kate Williams to Brinton Barrett Fisackerly of Flower Mound, Texas. Miss Williams is the grand-daughter of the late Dr. and Mrs. Frank B. Hays, formerly of Columbus and the late […]
BRAZORIA, Texas – Alfred “Ross” Young, 79, passed away Monday, March 11, 2013, at his home. He was born June 15, 1933, in Houlka to Ross and Amy Chrestman Young. He was a retired Teamsters driver for Chemical Leaman with 25-plus years service and an excess of 2 million safely-driven miles. He was a loving […]
- DANIEL GARDNER: The “Good News” in Russia July 25, 2015
- Houlka’s Hobson on rise July 29, 2015
- Suspicious mailers sent before Primary Election July 29, 2015
- Victoria Wofford awarded Yates Scholarship July 29, 2015
- Quality Iron announces expansion in Houston July 30, 2015
- Houlka aldermen updated on water, sewer issues July 31, 2015
- Man arrested following assault with knife July 31, 2015
- Two charged in Calhoun County death July 31, 2015
- County elections are Tuesday, Aug. 4 July 31, 2015
- Ole Miss begins season No. 15 in coaches poll July 30, 2015
- Jimmie Hardin: I for one cared that it was a week late. I live in...
- Daniel Drown: Great article about this timeless masterpiece that...
- Greg Schmidt: This is good news because this is one of the most ...
- Barbara Swanson: I found this amazing site to make a living online....
- Kansas and Mississippi become 8th and 9th states to allow carrying without a permit - Crime Prevention Research Center: […] The Kansas and Mississippi governors hav...