News last week that the one of the first major deadlines in the Mississippi Legislature had killed a bill that would consolidate Houlka and Okolona School has been met with cheers and jeers by folks across this community. Senator Russell Jolly’s comment that joining a failing school district with a passing school district is not […]
Tag Archives | taxes
CHICKSAW COUNTY – A bill to consolidate Chickasaw County Schools in Houlka and Okolona schools was killed in committee in the Mississippi Legislature this month, but the idea, which popped up last year, is far from dead. Mississippi lawmakers were asked to consider administrative school consolidations in several counties this session. The bill affecting […]
Having clients trust the work, advice and value of Keith Pounds CPA has been the key to the success of this local firm. “Building trust with our clients is our first priority,” said Keith Pounds, firm owner. “We are dealing with people’s businesses and finances and they have to know we are going to do […]
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – A task force created by the state Senate to look at Mississippi’s transportation needs tentatively plans to hold at least three public hearings throughout the state to garner input. The public hearings will have to be held soon to give the Transportation Task Force time to […]
HOUSTON – The Chickasaw County Board of Supervisors will not increase taxes for citizens in the upcoming year, although residents in the Chickasaw County School District will see a slight increase in school taxes. The Chickasaw County School District (Houlka schools) has requested an increase of one mil (about $8-9,000 total) for debt consolidation services. […]
HOUSTON – Trustees for the Houston School District are facing lean times with state and federal revenue dropping and the price for everything else going up. The district has proposed a 2013-14 revenue budget of $14,864,728.50 which is down from actual 2012-13 expenditures of $14,948,616. Trustees had proposed a revenue budget of $15,191,446 last year. […]
This country was founded by people in tax revolt. Our forefathers threw off the reigns of Mother England not because of human rights abuses, boundary disputes, political differences or religious views, but because they felt they were being unfairly taxed by a king thousands of miles away. That righteous and rebellious mindset still runs in […]
A guy drives into a ditch, but luckily, a farmer is there to help. He hitches his horse, Buddy, up to the car and yells, “Pull, Nellie, pull!” Buddy doesn’t move. “Pull, Buster, pull!” Buddy doesn’t budge. “Pull, Coco, pull!” Nothing. Then the farmer says, “Pull, Buddy, pull!” And the horse drags the car out […]
- FSA disaster applications available March 4, 2014
- Virginia Dopson March 6, 2014
- Player of the Week March 6, 2014
- Man convicted of killing cyclist dies in prison March 6, 2014
- The sports cycle March 6, 2014
- Lottie Perry March 10, 2014
- In the bleachers March 10, 2014
- Circuit Court verdict rendered in Okolona March 10, 2014
- Big Bass! March 8, 2014
- Spring forward! March 8, 2014
- Marathon set for Tanglefoot Trail | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Trail opening was top story for 2013 [...
- Tickets issued for dogs in Okolona | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Robertson speaks to Okolona Aldermen [...
- DOCKET: Circuit Court in Okolona | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Circuit Court verdicts imposed in Okolon...
- WEDDING: Earnest/Morgan | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] E.J. Earnest […]...
- 60th ANNIVERSARY: Rad & Betty Clark | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Ralph Coggins […]...