HOUSTON – City taxpayers will see their millage rate go up but their actual tax bill will probably stay the same. The county’s revaluation of property saw real property values go down this year generating few dollars for city coffers. To offset the drop, the Houston Board of Aldermen are looking to raise the millage […]
Tag Archives | tax
HOUSTON – The Houston Board of Aldermen is considering its first tax increase since 2006 as it eyes next year’s proposed budget. The city will hold a public hearing at 6:30 p.m. Sept. 2, at City Hall to explain a proposed 6.11-mill increase in its ad valorem levy on property in the city limits. While […]
By Dennis Seid Daily Journal A little more than a week before schools reopen, retailers and shoppers are gearing up for the fifth annual back-to-school sales tax holiday. Mississippi’s sales tax holiday starts Friday at 12:01 a.m. and ends Saturday at midnight. The sales tax break will help shoppers on clothing and shoes that are […]
HOUSTON – The Houston School Board of Trustees has voted to borrow up to $1.5 million to purchase seven new buses to compliment its aging fleet of 26 vehicles. The motion to approve the note and sale of bonds was made by Trustee Marvin Beard with a second by Trustee Bart Munlin. Board President Daniel […]
CHICKASAW COUNTY – The secret to taxes is deadlines and telling the truth. And while the government can’t always tell if you are telling the truth, two key deadlines are in April in the form of homestead exemption April 1 and the state and national income tax deadline of April 15. The Chickasaw County Tax […]
Having clients trust the work, advice and value of Keith Pounds CPA has been the key to the success of this local firm. “Building trust with our clients is our first priority,” said Keith Pounds, firm owner. “We are dealing with people’s businesses and finances and they have to know we are going to do […]
HOUSTON – Taxes collected by the City of Houston will increase but city taxes will not. The Houston Board of Aldermen approved the Houston School District’s budget and then set the city’s tax levy in two votes at a special called meeting Thursday night at City Hall. The first vote saw aldermen approve the district’s […]
HOUSTON – Good food and good fellowship for a good cause are the focus of a Boy Scout fundraiser set for next week. The Pushmataha Council of Boy Scouts of America will host its annual fundraiser and meal at 6 p.m. Tuesday, March 19, in the Training Room of the Houston Fire Department in downtown […]
HOUSTON – More than two-dozen people packed the board room at City Hall to hear the pros and cons of downtown Houston being listed on the National Historic Register. Bill Gatlin, of the Mississippi Department of Archives and History, said there is a lot of mis-information about being named to the National Historic Register and […]
HOUSTON – Collecting garbage is critical to any community and it costs to get someone to do it. The Houston Board of Aldermen were notified in December that current garbage pickup provider RES (Resourceful Environmental Services) wants to increase its monthly cart costs to residential customers. On a motion by Alderman Frank Thomas and a […]
- Anchor Alzheimer Challenge September 24, 2014
- WEEK 6: High school football scores September 27, 2014
- WEEK 6: Football Roundup September 27, 2014
- RENEE CUNNINGHAM: Common Core; Do the math September 27, 2014
- Future of farming September 28, 2014
- EPA conducts water quality study on Chico Creek October 1, 2014
- WEEK 6: AP high school football state rankings September 30, 2014
- Senate not only race on November ballot September 30, 2014
- Houston donates bus to Chickasaw EMA September 30, 2014
- Enterovirus D68 confirmed in Calhoun County September 30, 2014
- Tammy Pettit: I get that you and I know several others are upset...
- Lolette: Well since most people work during the week dont y...
- Carol Mac: I went to the Tupelo run, and I have some advice f...
- Candace R.: If that isn't nepotism, what is??? The solution ...
- Linda Huffman: Our home school policy is a joke. Some of these ch...