FULTON – Several area residents were among those who earned Associate of Arts or Associate of Applied Science degrees or certificates at the conclusion of the 2014 summer semester at Itawamba Community College. They include: Calhoun City – Jessica K. Holland, A.A.; Houlka – Wayne R. Carraway, A.A.S.; Brenda L. Wilkerson, A.A.; Houston – Haley […]
Tag Archives | Summer
CHICKASAW COUNTY – School is out and hundreds of kids who might go hungry in Chickasaw County during the summer break will get two good meals a day. Schools in Okolona and Houlka have embarked on a federal program this week that will see kids 18 and under who were in school last spring get […]
JACKSON – Friends of Mississippi public schools are working statewide to get signatures on petitions for a constitutional amendment to require the state to adequately fund kindergarten through Grade 12. The petition drive is organized by Better Schools, Better Jobs, a statewide group formed to promote the issue for the November 2015 ballot. Signature collectors […]
It’s summer and it’s time for things to grow. We think that also applies to local businesses, industry and service professions in Chickasaw County. We at the Chickasaw Journal are quick to point out we don’t have the expertise, data or credentials to say exactly what you need to make your business grow or when […]
HOUSTON – Teaching kids to read is a critical skill in school and teaching kids to read early helps kids excel in school. The Houston Carnegie Library is kicking off EARS (Educational Awareness Resource Service) this week, a new program aimed at under-privileged kids but open to all children entering kindergarten or who completed kindergarten […]
VARDAMAN — This is the opportunity of a lifetime for a local girl with her eye on a career in nursing, but she needs a little help. Jade Ruth, of Vardaman, has qualified to attend Careers in Medicine, a national youth leadership forum to be held at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore this summer and […]
Anyone who has grown up in the sultry South knows this time of year. It’s those hot, humid, not-a-hint-of-breeze, lazy days of summer. The summer work frenzy is over, we’ve taken our vacation and it’s just too hot to start any major new projects. The fish don’t bite, it’s not the season to hunt, a […]
CHICKASAW COUNTY – School is out and before the children have a chance to get bored, local libraries in and around Chickasaw County are offering summer reading programs full of information and fun. History, archeology and agriculture are just some of the topics offered through the Summer Reading programs in the Dixie Regional Library system […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal The Chickasaw County School District is participating in the Summer Food Service Program. Meals will be provided to all children free of charge and are the same for all children regardless of race, national origin, sex, age or disability, and there will be no discrimination in the course of […]
- Floy Dyer serving community seniors November 22, 2014
- Mississippi producing big bucks November 25, 2014
- Come in from the cold November 26, 2014
- Rams to hoop it up in Vardaman November 26, 2014
- Davis Lake bridge bids opened November 27, 2014
- Who’s No. 1! November 28, 2014
- Monroe authorities need help locating missing man November 28, 2014
- Solar farm shines in Chickasaw County November 28, 2014
- Houlka powers past North Pontotoc November 27, 2014
- Houston nips Wildcats November 27, 2014
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...
- Sad for Our Kids: Bravo! You've done your job as an advocate for a...
- Tammy Pettit: I get that you and I know several others are upset...