EDITOR’S NOTE: Houston school test scores, as released by the Mississippi Department of Education last week, can be found in the Wednesday, August 28, 2013 edition of the Chickasaw Journal. HOUSTON – Superintendent Dr. Steve Coker believes nothing spurs success like success. The Mississippi Department of Education released high school test scores last week […]
Tag Archives | Steve
A guy drives into a ditch, but luckily, a farmer is there to help. He hitches his horse, Buddy, up to the car and yells, “Pull, Nellie, pull!” Buddy doesn’t move. “Pull, Buster, pull!” Buddy doesn’t budge. “Pull, Coco, pull!” Nothing. Then the farmer says, “Pull, Buddy, pull!” And the horse drags the car out […]
During the summer, my mother would always send my brother and me up the gravel road each day to wait for the mail. So we rode our bikes up to the gaggle of mailboxes and waited for old Mr. Jones. The problem occurred when Mr. Jones got to the mail box. He would not give […]
I can’t help but notice that when we have programs for our Lower Elementary children what great attendance we have from the parents. These little ones are cute and cuddly and certainly need our care and guidance. But what happens as these precious children begin to go forward in their growth? As children move into […]
HOUSTON – At-Large Houston School District Board Member Zack Huffman has resigned as trustee prompting the district to begin a search to fill the post. Huffman, who represents county voters in the Houston School District but who live outside the city limits tendered his resignation March 7 but will not officially step down until June […]
HOUSTON – They are undefeated over the past 11-years in a high-tech field filled with teams that are better funded and come from much larger communities. The Houston Solar Car team was presented to the Mississippi Senate Thursday and after a brief presentation explaining their vehicle and their accomplishments was given a standing ovation by […]
Lenten lunch at Houston FUMC Family Life Center will be held at noon today with Sr. Pat Hinton of Immaculate Heart of Mary Catholic Church as guest speaker. Light lunch will be served. There is no charge for lunch, but donations will be given to the Greater Houston Ministerial Association to help the less fortunate. […]
Years ago, I heard how Dad and his father would fill the back of the old pick-up truck with Irish potatoes for market. On the way to town, which was 30 miles away, they would take the longest, roughest road to get there. By the time they got to market, the potatoes had sorted themselves […]
Principals give Houston Trustees school updates HOUSTON – The Houston School Board received a mid-year update on where each school in the district is on reaching goals and teaching students this school year. Principals from the district’s five schools set goals at the beginning of the school year in an effort to bring […]
- Houlka streamlines police accounting May 18, 2016
- Toppers commit four errors in loss May 22, 2016
- Rob Marion scholarship established May 22, 2016
- Commission meets, offers concerns on consolidation May 23, 2016
- Houston wins state baseball championship May 23, 2016
- JAY HUGHES: Threats and promises from lawmakers May 24, 2016
- State of the Region meeting set for May 26 May 24, 2016
- Okolona addresses blighted property May 24, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Tourism tax and consolidation May 23, 2016
- CONSOLIDATION: The Commission May 23, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...