Two big community events took place this weekend in Chickasaw County. Okolona hosted the Battle of Okolona on the 150th Anniversary of this historic Civil War engagement. The Houston Community Theatre hosted “Hello, Dolly,” the ninth production for this local acting troupe. Both events drew people to their respective communities and both events showed we […]
Tag Archives | Stacey Parker
HOUSTON – She may not be Mississippi’s oldest resident, but she holds the record in Chickasaw County. Zula Warnick celebrated her 108th birthday Sunday and was treated to a party on Valentine’s Day that saw Houston Mayor Stacey Parker present her with a special proclamation, a box of chocolates and 11 roses. “You may […]
HOUSTON – First someone stole the lights that have been draped from the top of the Chickasaw County Courthouse and then aldermen began looking at the cost of hanging snowflakes in the trees on the Courthouse Square. The Houston Board of Aldermen may not pay Natchez Trace Electric Power Association to put up and take […]
HOUSTON – The Chickasaw Development Foundation came before the Houston Board of Aldermen with their hat in their hand but also a smile on their face and a long list of accomplishments in 2013 last week. CDF approached the Houston Board of Aldermen seeking funding for 2014 and a change in the way revenue is […]
CHICKASAW COUNTY – The opening of the Tanglefoot Trail in mid October was big news across the community and Northeast Mississippi. People gathered in Houston and Houlka Oct. 20, to mark the grand opening of the 44.53-mile trail that stretches from Houston north to New Albany. Ceremonies were also held in Pontotoc, Algoma and […]
HOUSTON – Changes to lunch and break times, paycheck disbursement and communication concerns prompted city workers to attend a city board meeting last week. Eleven employees from city hall offices and the city shop attended the Nov. 5 regular board meeting and while not on the agenda, Mayor Stacey Parker and City Public Works Director […]
HOUSTON – Improvements are being made to the south-end of Joe Brigance Park as part of the city’s master plan for the Parks and Recreation Department. The city tore down the old dugouts and concession stand fronting Starkville Road earlier this summer and a massive tractor and grader was busy this past week leveling up […]
HOUSTON – City leaders chose their next top administrator and bookkeeper at a special called meeting of the Houston Board of Aldermen June 11. Janie Dendy was named the new Houston City Clerk and will replace Bobby Sanderson who is slated to retire later this month. A native of Algoma, Dendy has lived in Houston […]
HOUSTON – The summer construction season has several businesses in and around the Square in Houston in the process of renovation or repair. The biggest job is the renovation of the future home of Watkins, Ward & Stafford CPA on the west side of the Square, with work on water lines by the city […]
- Garner selected as State Champ March 1, 2014
- Lady Rams open season March 6, 2014
- Voter ID available at Clerk’s office March 6, 2014
- EDITORIAL: School Consolidation March 6, 2014
- Claude Johnson March 6, 2014
- WINTER JAM: Christian music festival sells out at BancorpSouth Arena March 7, 2014
- Reading is learning March 7, 2014
- All runs come to an end March 7, 2014
- Senior night March 7, 2014
- Claude Johnson March 7, 2014
- Marathon set for Tanglefoot Trail | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Trail opening was top story for 2013 [...
- Tickets issued for dogs in Okolona | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Robertson speaks to Okolona Aldermen [...
- DOCKET: Circuit Court in Okolona | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Circuit Court verdicts imposed in Okolon...
- WEDDING: Earnest/Morgan | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] E.J. Earnest […]...
- 60th ANNIVERSARY: Rad & Betty Clark | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Ralph Coggins […]...