STARKVILLE – Mississippi State University has released the 2014 spring graduation list for students from the readership area. Honor graduates include all bachelor-degree candidates with exceptional scholastic averages and at least half the total required course hours earned at MSU. Their specific levels of recognition and the minimum required averages for each, based on a […]
Tag Archives | Spring
OXFORD – The University of Mississippi has released the names of students on its Spring 2014 honor roll. Undergraduate students who earn a semester GPA of 3.50-3.74 will be listed on the Dean’s Honor Roll; those who earn a semester GPA of 3.75-4.00 will be listed on the Chancellor’s Honor Roll. To be eligible for […]
CHICKASAW COUNTY – He rolled the Tanglefoot Trail from Algoma to Houston Thursday in about six hours, which is just under half the length of the 44-mile trail. Robbie Pipkin, 44, of Houston, rolled his wheelchair from Algoma to Houston last week in preparation for a fundraiser that will see him go the entire length […]
One of my very favorite trees in this area is the “River Birch.” It is cherished because of the beautiful flakey white bark that it exhibits year ’round and because its leaf foliage is of such a nature that grass will grow under it. The other day as I tipped several limbs that were too […]
CHICKASAW COUNTY – It is supposed to rain in Mississippi in the springtime and wet fields are not yet a concern for farmers looking to get seed in the ground this season. Good crops last fall has prompted most commodities prices to drop this year, but as all farmers know, that will change before harvest. […]
PONTOTOC – Less than six months after its official opening, the Tanglefoot Trail is slated to host several athletic events this spring. The 44-mile paved trail that succeeds the historic GM&O Railroad will host the Altis Endurance Marathon and Half-Marathon on March 30. The event will begin and end in Houston, at the trail’s […]
March 20 is the first day of Spring and if the sun is shining we will all get that primordial urge to clear, dig and plant. Women have conducted Spring cleaning in this community since pioneer days when their ancestors heralded the first warm weather as a sign to wash, sweep and clear the house […]
Don’t tell anyone, but I think I saw a hint of spring last weekend. Shhh, maybe if we all stay really quiet we won’t scare it away. Let’s face it, we’ve had a long, cold, dreary winter and I, for one, am ready for it to be over. I know the calendar is turning over […]
HOUSTON – The city is seeking to cut costs and may ask homeowners to cut their yards out to the street next spring. The Houston Board of Aldermen discussed a proposal last week that would require property owners to be responsible for the upkeep of property in front of their home and also to mow […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Eight members of the Houston Middle School band were awarded for achievement following the HMS spring concert. The band is under the direction of William Shirey and Josh Robinson and is comprised of sixth, seventh and eighth grade students. Students who received awards include: Beginning band most improved […]
From spring sports to state testing, time is about to fly! Just a few days ago one of my teachers said, “Okay, everyone pull out your group assignments from August.”. Not only had I thrown mine away, but I was shocked by how fast time has flown. It seems like just yesterday we were all […]
- EDITORIAL: Emergency Service September 11, 2014
- Parents urged to immunize September 9, 2014
- Rewarding excellence in education September 12, 2014
- Topper Zone grand opening September 13, 2014
- RENEE CUNNINGHAM: Common Core: Prepared for education anywhere September 13, 2014
- ICC Adult Learner scholars September 16, 2014
- County opens bids for AgriCenter roof September 16, 2014
- Rebels on road to open SEC hoops September 15, 2014
- City changes procedures for Parks & Rec cash receipts September 15, 2014
- BILLY McCORD: As I see it September 14, 2014
- Tammy Pettit: I get that you and I know several others are upset...
- Lolette: Well since most people work during the week dont y...
- Carol Mac: I went to the Tupelo run, and I have some advice f...
- Candace R.: If that isn't nepotism, what is??? The solution ...
- Linda Huffman: Our home school policy is a joke. Some of these ch...