HOUSTON – A parent appeared before the Houston School District Board of Trustees asking for details in their investigation into an alleged racial slur by a school bus driver recently. Trustees looked around the room and at each other but made no comment Tuesday Oct. 14, as Aretha Bray said a racial slur was directed […]
Tag Archives | Spence
HOUSTON – Of the approximately 1,800 students in the Houston School District almost 1,600 ride a bus to school at least once a day. The addition of seven new Thomas school buses to the district’s fleet was a big expenditure, but one that will make transportation of students more reliable, safer and ultimately save money, […]
HOUSTON – The district’s non-certified employees and administrators will get raises and the Houston School District will buy buses following a vote by trustees Monday night. The raises will come from the district’s fund balance and total $61,412. Buses are estimated to cost about $75,000 each, with the district seeking up to seven, and they […]
HOUSTON – Tests are nothing new at Houston Middle School and a new form of concrete is being examined by the district. Potholes in the concrete driveway at the Middle School have been a chronic problem for years, but estimates to dig it up, lay a base and pour a new surface have been expensive, […]
HOUSTON – It has nothing to do with educating students but it could be a major expense for the Houston School District next year. The Houston School Board of Trustees heard a proposal from Todd Kilgore, representing K-N-K Construction, on possible options to fix a crumbling driveway in front of the Houston Middle School that […]
HOUSTON – Trustees approved an invoice of $21,629.18 to NewPath Strategy Consultants at a special called meeting Friday morning. The payment of the claim was the sole action item on the agenda, but the school board did conduct a “walk-through” of all district buildings and grounds after the meeting adjourned. The board had sought NewPath’s […]
HOUSTON – In an effort to address a growing societal problem with bullying, students at Houston Middle School participated in an assembly program to learn ways to replace bullying behavior with more positive actions. The assembly was led by Windell Greene, Sr., a long-time educator and currently an associate with the educational consulting firm Empowerment […]
HOUSTON – Parents concerned about alleged bullying at Houston Middle School were not allowed to speak at a board meeting last week because they did not fill out the proper forms. Mid-way through the April 8 Houston School Board meeting parents David Adams and Tonja Turner stood and asked to speak, but were told the […]
Principals give Houston Trustees school updates HOUSTON – The Houston School Board received a mid-year update on where each school in the district is on reaching goals and teaching students this school year. Principals from the district’s five schools set goals at the beginning of the school year in an effort to bring […]
- TIP IT OFF! November 20, 2014
- Houston ready for tipoff and tournament November 23, 2014
- Chieftains to stand tall on court November 24, 2014
- Trustees, judges on ballot November 24, 2014
- ICC scholarships awarded to local students November 24, 2014
- Rams to hoop it up in Vardaman November 26, 2014
- Come in from the cold November 26, 2014
- Mississippi producing big bucks November 25, 2014
- CHICKASAW COUNTY: Luther wins Circuit Judge, Pettit wins Houston trustee November 25, 2014
- Houlka ready for another run this season November 25, 2014
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...
- Sad for Our Kids: Bravo! You've done your job as an advocate for a...
- Tammy Pettit: I get that you and I know several others are upset...