Special to the Chickasaw Journal JACKSON – The Commission on Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks finalized regulations for the 2015 alligator hunting season on public waters and private lands in Mississippi at its April meeting. The statewide public waters season will include opportunities in specific public waterways. A total of 920 permits will be […]
Tag Archives | Sparta
Special to the Chickasaw Journal JACKSON — The Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ) awarded Chickasaw County a solid waste assistance grant of $11,717 that will be used by the county for clean up of illegal dumping sites. “The Solid Waste Assistance Grants support a variety of useful solid waste management activities for cities and counties, and this […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal JACKSON – A tradition unlike any other began this month. Grabbling, handgrabbing, handfishing, or noodling – whatever you call it – catching catfish with your hands is a popular way of fishing for a lot of Mississippians. The season opens May 1 and runs through July […]
SPARTA – Every Friday night, the Sparta Opry has about as good a fish fry as one could expect here in the land where folks appreciate a good fish fry. In addition to a delicious meal, something else is appreciated at the Opry – its music and the musicians who perform there. Most of the […]
The 858thth Engineering Company is back home safe in Mississippi. Units made the 19-hour plane ride from the Afghanistan and will now check in equipment, be debriefed and begin the transition back to life in the good ole U.S. of A. A few officers and enlisted men are still doing something close to rear-guard action, […]
CHICKASAW COUNTY – There are more storm shelters around here than just about any county in Northeast Mississippi, but recent bad weather has proved the community needs more. Local storm shelters were packed April 11 when two fast-moving storms raced across Chickasaw County with the first one moving on to slam Tupelo, causing millions of […]
HOUSTON – Charles Edward Below, 70, died Wednesday, April 30, 2014, at Sanctuary Hospice House in Tupelo. A native of Houston, he was the son of William Henry and Bettie Below. He was a member of Norton Spring CME Church in Houston and a member of the Spiritual Harmoneers. He loved fishing, singing, gardening and […]
HOUSTON — Earvin Joseph “E.J.” Earnest, 85, died Monday, Jan. 27, 2014, at Floy Dyer Manor in Houston. He was born March 16, 1928, in Houston. He married his wife of 62 years, Louise Lowry Earnest, on Sept. 16, 1951. He moved to the Sparta Community in Chickasaw County and with his wife worked many […]
It may be the finest product the Chickasaw Journal publishes, it certainly is the most polished. “Come Home to Chickasaw County,” a magazine produced by your hometown newspaper, can be found inside this week’s edition of the Chickasaw Journal. The cover shows a few of those things we cherish so much in this community – […]
SPARTA – This ain’t your typical beauty review, this ain’t typical Sparta Opry entertainment and this ain’t something your eyes will quickly forget. The Southern Survivors Relay for Life Team, the New Century Breast Cancer Support Group and Sparta Opry will host a Womanless Beauty Revue at 6 p.m. Saturday to raise money for the […]
SPARTA – Volunteer firefighters at the Sparta substation are now better prepared to assist with medical calls in their coverage area. The addition of an Automated External Defibrillator was made possible through a grant from the Mississippi Emergency Medical Services Operating fund. The grant money is generated by a $5 assessment of fines to assist […]
HOUSTON – Joseph Jennings, 60, died Sunday, Dec. 30, 2012, at North Mississippi Medical Center. He was born to Vernon Jennings and Eva Lamb Jennings in Sparta. He worked over 30 years at Franklin Corp. He was a member of Amity Baptist Church where he sang in the choir and was a member of the […]
- DANIEL GARDNER: The “Good News” in Russia July 25, 2015
- Suspicious mailers sent before Primary Election July 29, 2015
- Victoria Wofford awarded Yates Scholarship July 29, 2015
- Quality Iron announces expansion in Houston July 30, 2015
- EDITORIAL: Who deserves your vote? July 30, 2015
- NCAA charges Southern Miss, Tyndall August 1, 2015
- Houlka aldermen updated on water, sewer issues July 31, 2015
- Man arrested following assault with knife July 31, 2015
- Two charged in Calhoun County death July 31, 2015
- County elections are Tuesday, Aug. 4 July 31, 2015
- Jimmie Hardin: I for one cared that it was a week late. I live in...
- Daniel Drown: Great article about this timeless masterpiece that...
- Greg Schmidt: This is good news because this is one of the most ...
- Barbara Swanson: I found this amazing site to make a living online....
- Kansas and Mississippi become 8th and 9th states to allow carrying without a permit - Crime Prevention Research Center: […] The Kansas and Mississippi governors hav...