SPARTA – Every Friday night, the Sparta Opry has about as good a fish fry as one could expect here in the land where folks appreciate a good fish fry. In addition to a delicious meal, something else is appreciated at the Opry – its music and the musicians who perform there. Most of the […]
Tag Archives | Sparta
The 858thth Engineering Company is back home safe in Mississippi. Units made the 19-hour plane ride from the Afghanistan and will now check in equipment, be debriefed and begin the transition back to life in the good ole U.S. of A. A few officers and enlisted men are still doing something close to rear-guard action, […]
CHICKASAW COUNTY – There are more storm shelters around here than just about any county in Northeast Mississippi, but recent bad weather has proved the community needs more. Local storm shelters were packed April 11 when two fast-moving storms raced across Chickasaw County with the first one moving on to slam Tupelo, causing millions of […]
HOUSTON – Charles Edward Below, 70, died Wednesday, April 30, 2014, at Sanctuary Hospice House in Tupelo. A native of Houston, he was the son of William Henry and Bettie Below. He was a member of Norton Spring CME Church in Houston and a member of the Spiritual Harmoneers. He loved fishing, singing, gardening and […]
HOUSTON — Earvin Joseph “E.J.” Earnest, 85, died Monday, Jan. 27, 2014, at Floy Dyer Manor in Houston. He was born March 16, 1928, in Houston. He married his wife of 62 years, Louise Lowry Earnest, on Sept. 16, 1951. He moved to the Sparta Community in Chickasaw County and with his wife worked many […]
It may be the finest product the Chickasaw Journal publishes, it certainly is the most polished. “Come Home to Chickasaw County,” a magazine produced by your hometown newspaper, can be found inside this week’s edition of the Chickasaw Journal. The cover shows a few of those things we cherish so much in this community – […]
SPARTA – This ain’t your typical beauty review, this ain’t typical Sparta Opry entertainment and this ain’t something your eyes will quickly forget. The Southern Survivors Relay for Life Team, the New Century Breast Cancer Support Group and Sparta Opry will host a Womanless Beauty Revue at 6 p.m. Saturday to raise money for the […]
SPARTA – Volunteer firefighters at the Sparta substation are now better prepared to assist with medical calls in their coverage area. The addition of an Automated External Defibrillator was made possible through a grant from the Mississippi Emergency Medical Services Operating fund. The grant money is generated by a $5 assessment of fines to assist […]
HOUSTON – Joseph Jennings, 60, died Sunday, Dec. 30, 2012, at North Mississippi Medical Center. He was born to Vernon Jennings and Eva Lamb Jennings in Sparta. He worked over 30 years at Franklin Corp. He was a member of Amity Baptist Church where he sang in the choir and was a member of the […]
- Parks named to Tombigbee Water Management Board February 24, 2015
- FLOYD INGRAM: Quality of life February 27, 2015
- Agri-Center shaping up February 27, 2015
- GOP federal prosecutor to challenge Hood for AG February 27, 2015
- DANIEL GARDNER: God given rights February 28, 2015
- Mitchell Adair named Hinds 2014 graduate March 3, 2015
- Another winter storm may await March 3, 2015
- Chickasaw United Way allocates dollars March 3, 2015
- Moore to attend Clinton Global Initiative March 2, 2015
- UPDATE: Four hurt, two dead in Calhoun County wreck March 2, 2015
- Royal Chocolate: Great to see progress in my hometown!...
- Cherry Walker: I had heard this woman's name before so I did som...
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...