We celebrate Mother’s Day on Sunday. Preacher will extoll the virtues of mothers on Sunday and come back in a few weeks and beat up on men on Father’s Day. Such is Southern culture. Such is the fact that good women can bring out the best in good men. First there was the woman who […]
Tag Archives | Southern
By Jay Reeves Associated Press BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – A national organization is launching a three-year, $8.5 million campaign to promote LGBT equality and push for new legal protections in three Southern states dominated by conservative politics and religion and known for resistance to change: Alabama, Arkansas and Mississippi. Decades after groups used boycotts, marches, sit-ins, […]
HOUSTON – Things are happening in business and industrial development and Chickasaw County economic developer Josh West said he hopes to formally announce a major project soon. Speaking at the Chickasaw Development Foundation annual banquet, West, Regional Economic Developer for Pontotoc, Union and Chickasaw counties, said he is working with TVA to bring a 35-acre […]
CHICKASAW COUNTY – Private John Wiggs was born Western Chickasaw County, fought in the Civil War and was one of the lucky ones who returned home and lived the rest of his life among family and friends. There are still many Wiggs in that part of the county and many can trace their roots […]
HOUSTON – Margaret Ann Baird Lacey, 76, died Saturday, July 27, 2013, at her home. She was born April 16, 1937, to Aubrey Lorette Baird and Ruth Boatman Baird in Turrell, Ark. She was a member of First Baptist Church of Houston and a homemaker. She enjoyed sewing, crafts and quilting, and made Mississippi State […]
Ruble Parker CALHOUN CITY – Ruble Parker, 83, died Friday, May 3, 2013, at Trace Regional Hospital in Houston. He was born Nov. 8, 1929, in Calhoun County. He was a retired from Tension Envelope in Memphis after 35 years. He was a captain in the U.S. Army during the Korean conflict. He was a […]
HOULKA – Berlin Thomas “Buddy” Petty, Jr., 51, died Monday, April 8, 2013 at his home. Mr. Petty was born Nov. 1, 1961 to Berlin Petty, Sr. and Margie Nell Petty. He was a farmer and a mechanic Services will be at 3 p.m. Thursday, April 11, at Southern Funeral Chapel with burial at Rose […]
Harley Langley is quick to say his job is not easy but it is immensely rewarding and helping families through some of their darkest days is the goal of Southern Funeral Home Chapel. “I grew up in Houston and graduated from Houston High School in 1949,” said Langley. “I know most of the people around […]
WOODLAND – There is a saying in politics that wise leaders gather young people around you because youth doesn’t know it can’t be done. The village of Woodland has formed a Mayor’s Youth Council that recently attended the Mississippi Municipal League Statewide Youth Leadership Summit held March 1-2 in Hattiesburg and has returned home looking […]
CALHOUN CITY – Annie Lynette Ferguson, 82, died Friday, Dec. 14, 2012. She was born May 24, 1930, in Calhoun County to Clarence Mathis Griffin and Dewey Mae Hathcock Griffin. She was a seamstress and a Baptist. Services were at 2 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 16, at Southern Funeral Chapel with Bro. Jason Brassfield and Bro. […]
- EDITORIAL: Let’s go to work! June 25, 2015
- FLOYD INGRAM: Giving your very best June 28, 2015
- Chickasaw jobless rate plummets June 29, 2015
- GED offered at WIN, Excel June 29, 2015
- United Way seeks support for backpacks June 30, 2015
- Roberts is Miss Mississippi, Molly May a finalist July 2, 2015
- EDITORIAL: Lines of Liberty July 2, 2015
- Supervisors ponder MDOC moves July 2, 2015
- Houston, Okolona airport improvements funded July 1, 2015
- Local talent attends ICC camp June 30, 2015
- Daniel Drown: Great article about this timeless masterpiece that...
- Greg Schmidt: This is good news because this is one of the most ...
- Barbara Swanson: I found this amazing site to make a living online....
- Kansas and Mississippi become 8th and 9th states to allow carrying without a permit - Crime Prevention Research Center: […] The Kansas and Mississippi governors hav...
- Tg007.net: if you want the town to grow stop taxing the busin...