HOUSTON – The men and women who fought in the Civil War in Chickasaw County are long gone, but their photographs, letters and history live on at the Chickasaw County Museum. The Museum unveiled its new Civil War display last week and is urging the community to come by and see if they know some […]
Tag Archives | Society
OXFORD – University of Mississippi student Hayden Hendrix of Maben was among 127 students inducted into the UM chapter of Phi Kappa Phi in a campus ceremony April 10 at the Gertrude C. Ford Center for the Performing Arts. Membership in Phi Kappa Phi is the university’s highest academic honor across all disciplines. Hendrix is […]
HOUSTON – Chickasaw County is dotted with Indian mounds with the Owl Creek, Bynum and Thelma mounds giving a little insight on how people lived in this area thousands of years ago. The Chickasaw County Historical & Genealogical Society hosted Dr. Janet Rafferty, professor of the Department of Anthropology and Middle Eastern Culture at […]
The Chickasaw County Historical and Genealogical Society meet each third Thursday night at the new Chickasaw County Museum on Woodland Circle at Joe Brigance Park at 7 p.m. All are invited to attend. The Chickasaw County Historical & Genealogical Society, Inc. is a private not-for-profit organization established to preserve historical documents, artifacts, photographs and anything […]
Sara and I celebrated our Silver Wedding Anniversary on Tuesday. That may not seem like much to the Golden Anniversary crowd but we are sort of proud of our 25-year mark. We went out to eat and there was a gift. Marriage and age have changed us, but she is still the most special human […]
BLUE MOUNTAIN – Kelsey Danielle Nelson of Vardaman has been invited to join the Pi Tau chapter of Beta Beta Beta, the National Biological Honor Society, at Blue Mountain College. Beta Beta Beta is a society for students dedicated to improving the understanding and appreciation of biological study and extending boundaries of human knowledge through […]
by Jean Dendy Special to the Chickasaw Journal I would like to extend a big “thank you” to everyone who helped make this year’s Relay for Life such a great success. The committee, team captains and team members all did an exceptional job this year. Carol Koutroulis and those who assisted her again provided […]
HOUSTON – A dream that began more than 30 years ago opens its doors to Chickasaw County Saturday. The Chickasaw County Genealogical and Historical Society hosted a two-hour preview of the Chickasaw Museum in Joe Brigance Park last week, in preparation for the crowds they expect at Saturday’s Flywheel Festival. “We really are proud of […]
HOUSTON – The annual Chickasaw County Relay for Life event is set for May 3 at Joe Brigance Park in Houston and local teams are gearing up their fundraising efforts for the American Cancer Society. In an effort to involve more people from different walks of life, teams are planning new and different events to […]
- Sundancer seeks 14th national title: Houston racers head to Texas for Solar Car Challenge July 18, 2014
- Aldermen mull vendor permits July 22, 2014
- Taking their game on the road July 22, 2014
- MDOT changes weight limits on county bridges July 22, 2014
- Houston man arrested for rustling July 22, 2014
- Sales tax holiday starts after midnight July 24, 2014
- Better Schools petitions available July 24, 2014
- Houston Solar Car has 160 mile lead July 24, 2014
- Houston schools prep for registration July 24, 2014
- Emergency July 24, 2014
- Pat Southerland: It is interesting to see that Mrs. Dendy is resign...
- Michael Mcalpin: So glad to have this service back locally....
- Pat Burgess: Congratulations to Jim for the award and for all t...
- Chip Ingram: My son Daniel was given a Bobbie Gentry album by ...
- Pam Dendy: I have that first album. My Daddy bought it for me...