HOUSTON – The men and women who fought in the Civil War in Chickasaw County are long gone, but their photographs, letters and history live on at the Chickasaw County Museum. The Museum unveiled its new Civil War display last week and is urging the community to come by and see if they know some […]
Tag Archives | Society
OXFORD – University of Mississippi student Hayden Hendrix of Maben was among 127 students inducted into the UM chapter of Phi Kappa Phi in a campus ceremony April 10 at the Gertrude C. Ford Center for the Performing Arts. Membership in Phi Kappa Phi is the university’s highest academic honor across all disciplines. Hendrix is […]
HOUSTON – Chickasaw County is dotted with Indian mounds with the Owl Creek, Bynum and Thelma mounds giving a little insight on how people lived in this area thousands of years ago. The Chickasaw County Historical & Genealogical Society hosted Dr. Janet Rafferty, professor of the Department of Anthropology and Middle Eastern Culture at […]
The Chickasaw County Historical and Genealogical Society meet each third Thursday night at the new Chickasaw County Museum on Woodland Circle at Joe Brigance Park at 7 p.m. All are invited to attend. The Chickasaw County Historical & Genealogical Society, Inc. is a private not-for-profit organization established to preserve historical documents, artifacts, photographs and anything […]
Sara and I celebrated our Silver Wedding Anniversary on Tuesday. That may not seem like much to the Golden Anniversary crowd but we are sort of proud of our 25-year mark. We went out to eat and there was a gift. Marriage and age have changed us, but she is still the most special human […]
BLUE MOUNTAIN – Kelsey Danielle Nelson of Vardaman has been invited to join the Pi Tau chapter of Beta Beta Beta, the National Biological Honor Society, at Blue Mountain College. Beta Beta Beta is a society for students dedicated to improving the understanding and appreciation of biological study and extending boundaries of human knowledge through […]
by Jean Dendy Special to the Chickasaw Journal I would like to extend a big “thank you” to everyone who helped make this year’s Relay for Life such a great success. The committee, team captains and team members all did an exceptional job this year. Carol Koutroulis and those who assisted her again provided […]
HOUSTON – A dream that began more than 30 years ago opens its doors to Chickasaw County Saturday. The Chickasaw County Genealogical and Historical Society hosted a two-hour preview of the Chickasaw Museum in Joe Brigance Park last week, in preparation for the crowds they expect at Saturday’s Flywheel Festival. “We really are proud of […]
HOUSTON – The annual Chickasaw County Relay for Life event is set for May 3 at Joe Brigance Park in Houston and local teams are gearing up their fundraising efforts for the American Cancer Society. In an effort to involve more people from different walks of life, teams are planning new and different events to […]
- Houlka Community Thanksgiving is Nov. 22 November 19, 2014
- BILLY McCORD: As I see it November 23, 2014
- A golfer’s tale November 23, 2014
- Houston ready for tipoff and tournament November 23, 2014
- Chieftains to stand tall on court November 24, 2014
- Come in from the cold November 26, 2014
- Mississippi producing big bucks November 25, 2014
- CHICKASAW COUNTY: Luther wins Circuit Judge, Pettit wins Houston trustee November 25, 2014
- Houlka ready for another run this season November 25, 2014
- Bells will be ringing November 25, 2014
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...
- Sad for Our Kids: Bravo! You've done your job as an advocate for a...
- Tammy Pettit: I get that you and I know several others are upset...