By Melissa Meador Monroe Journal SMITHVILLE – Smithville is hitting its offensive stride deep in the playoffs. The defending champ Noles pounded out double-digit runs for the second game in a row, grabbing a 14-6 win over Houlka to start out 1-0 in their Class 1A baseball semifinal series. “Today our hitting came around just […]
Tag Archives | Smithville
HAMILTON – Madarius Hobson outscored Smithville. The Houlka freshman’s 23 points: one more than the Seminoles in a less-than-dramatic 83-22 win in Thursday’s Division 4-1A semifinals. At that point it was anybody’s guess how far Houlka (23-4) would go, but Smithville and the rest of Class 1A knew the Wildcats were serious about the journey […]
By Brandon Speck Daily Journal HAMILTON – Madarius Hobson outscored Smithville. The Houlka freshman’s 23 points: one more than the Seminoles in a less-than-dramatic 83-22 win in Thursday’s Division 4-1A semifinals. Who knows how far Houlka (23-4) will go, but Smithville and the rest of Class 1A knows the Wildcats are serious about the journey […]
HOULKA – Basketball has always been a key part of the Houlka community and the hometeam did their town proud Friday night with easy wins of the Smithville Seminoles. The Houlka boys are now 19-4 overall and have clinched the district title at 5-0. The Lady Wildcats stand 11-11 on the season and are 3-1 […]
OKOLONA – Houlka had a good first quarter, but a stronger and faster Smithville team came to town Thursday and left with their eyes on their next opponent and a possible state title. The Smithville Semioles (8-3, 6-2) were met with a stingy Wildcat defense but as the game wore on the Houlka (1-9, 1-7) […]
HOULKA – In slow-pitch softball they are going to get their hits, but Smithville has a tendency to hit them harder and farther. The Smithville Lady Seminoles topped the Lady Houlka Wildcats 15-0, Thursday after coming of a Tuesday night jaunt with Hamilton that saw Smithville hit 13 home runs. “We knew they were a […]
Associated Press Here are Mississippi’s top high school football teams in each class as selected by a panel of Associated Press state sports writers. Class Overall School W-L Pts Prv 1. Starkville (12) (5-0) 138 1 2. South Panola (2) (5-0) 128 2 3. Tupelo (5-0) 100 3 4. Picayune (4-0) 78 4 5. Oxford […]
HOUSTON – It all started in Chickasaw County for Brenda Whitlock and she brought her latest songs back for the people who know her music best. Whitlock sang “Not Gonna Let Nobody Take My Crown” and also sang “Double Dose (of the Holy Ghost)” to the delight of the crowd in attendance at Live in […]
Smithville woman charged with sale of controlled substance A Smithville woman has been charged with selling a controlled substance. According to a statement from the Amory Police Department, the North Mississippi Narcotics Unit, assisted by the Amory and Smithville police departments, served a warrant for the arrest of Sherry A. Harris, 42, of Smithville […]
SMITHVILLE – Jimmie Frances Cantrell Kennedy, 74, died on Tuesday, Feb, 11, 2014, at North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo. Born on Sept. 28, 1939, in Smithville, she was a daughter of the late Charles Edward and Frances Beatrice Lantrip Cantrell. She was a graduate of Smithville High School, Class of 1957. On Feb. 9, […]
SMITHVILLE – Donald Gene Davis, 76, died on Tuesday, Nov. 19, 2013, at North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo. Born June 13, 1937, in Okolona, he was a son of Gilbert and Jewel Gray Davis. He was a graduate of Becker Schools. Before his retirement, he worked as a carpenter and painter. Guided by his […]
Northeast Mississippi’s three defending state champions – Corinth (4A), Hamilton (2A) and Smithville (1A) – opened the MHSAA slow pitch softball playoffs Tuesday with victories. Corinth rallied to beat Houston 9-2 and 14-10 after losing the best-of-three series opener 11-1. Hamilton, which moved down to 1A this season, swept Broad Street 14-0 and 23-0 while […]
- Florida largemouth bass stocked into Tennessee-Tombigbee Waterway lakes June 24, 2015
- First National Bank changes name to First Choice Bank June 27, 2015
- TERRI TURNER: 2015 Woman Of The Year June 28, 2015
- JAMES MEYERS: 2015 Man Of The Year June 28, 2015
- TWO TOOTS: 2015 Business Of The Year June 28, 2015
- Houston, Okolona airport improvements funded July 1, 2015
- Local talent attends ICC camp June 30, 2015
- United Way seeks support for backpacks June 30, 2015
- GED offered at WIN, Excel June 29, 2015
- Chickasaw jobless rate plummets June 29, 2015
- Daniel Drown: Great article about this timeless masterpiece that...
- Greg Schmidt: This is good news because this is one of the most ...
- Barbara Swanson: I found this amazing site to make a living online....
- Kansas and Mississippi become 8th and 9th states to allow carrying without a permit - Crime Prevention Research Center: […] The Kansas and Mississippi governors hav...
- Tg007.net: if you want the town to grow stop taxing the busin...