OKOLONA – Houlka had a good first quarter, but a stronger and faster Smithville team came to town Thursday and left with their eyes on their next opponent and a possible state title. The Smithville Semioles (8-3, 6-2) were met with a stingy Wildcat defense but as the game wore on the Houlka (1-9, 1-7) […]
Tag Archives | Smithville
HOULKA – In slow-pitch softball they are going to get their hits, but Smithville has a tendency to hit them harder and farther. The Smithville Lady Seminoles topped the Lady Houlka Wildcats 15-0, Thursday after coming of a Tuesday night jaunt with Hamilton that saw Smithville hit 13 home runs. “We knew they were a […]
Associated Press Here are Mississippi’s top high school football teams in each class as selected by a panel of Associated Press state sports writers. Class Overall School W-L Pts Prv 1. Starkville (12) (5-0) 138 1 2. South Panola (2) (5-0) 128 2 3. Tupelo (5-0) 100 3 4. Picayune (4-0) 78 4 5. Oxford […]
HOUSTON – It all started in Chickasaw County for Brenda Whitlock and she brought her latest songs back for the people who know her music best. Whitlock sang “Not Gonna Let Nobody Take My Crown” and also sang “Double Dose (of the Holy Ghost)” to the delight of the crowd in attendance at Live in […]
Smithville woman charged with sale of controlled substance A Smithville woman has been charged with selling a controlled substance. According to a statement from the Amory Police Department, the North Mississippi Narcotics Unit, assisted by the Amory and Smithville police departments, served a warrant for the arrest of Sherry A. Harris, 42, of Smithville […]
SMITHVILLE – Jimmie Frances Cantrell Kennedy, 74, died on Tuesday, Feb, 11, 2014, at North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo. Born on Sept. 28, 1939, in Smithville, she was a daughter of the late Charles Edward and Frances Beatrice Lantrip Cantrell. She was a graduate of Smithville High School, Class of 1957. On Feb. 9, […]
SMITHVILLE – Donald Gene Davis, 76, died on Tuesday, Nov. 19, 2013, at North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo. Born June 13, 1937, in Okolona, he was a son of Gilbert and Jewel Gray Davis. He was a graduate of Becker Schools. Before his retirement, he worked as a carpenter and painter. Guided by his […]
Northeast Mississippi’s three defending state champions – Corinth (4A), Hamilton (2A) and Smithville (1A) – opened the MHSAA slow pitch softball playoffs Tuesday with victories. Corinth rallied to beat Houston 9-2 and 14-10 after losing the best-of-three series opener 11-1. Hamilton, which moved down to 1A this season, swept Broad Street 14-0 and 23-0 while […]
- Houlka Community Thanksgiving is Nov. 22 November 19, 2014
- BILLY McCORD: As I see it November 23, 2014
- A golfer’s tale November 23, 2014
- Houston ready for tipoff and tournament November 23, 2014
- Chieftains to stand tall on court November 24, 2014
- Rams to hoop it up in Vardaman November 26, 2014
- Come in from the cold November 26, 2014
- Mississippi producing big bucks November 25, 2014
- CHICKASAW COUNTY: Luther wins Circuit Judge, Pettit wins Houston trustee November 25, 2014
- Houlka ready for another run this season November 25, 2014
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...
- Sad for Our Kids: Bravo! You've done your job as an advocate for a...
- Tammy Pettit: I get that you and I know several others are upset...