By William Moore Daily Journal TUPELO – The term “big election” really applies to the races for Monroe County circuit clerk and Chickasaw County sheriff. Neither incumbent has chosen to seek re-election and just half-way through the qualifying period, each race already has eight candidates. Qualifying will continue until 5 p.m. on Feb. 27. In […]
Tag Archives | Simmons
By William Moore Daily Journal SHANNON – A head-on collision between two vehicles south of Shannon claimed the life of a Tupelo man. The wreck occurred around 8 a.m. on Highway 245 south of Shannon, near County Road 54, according to the Mississippi Highway Patrol. Michael Simmons Jr., 32, of Tupelo, was the driver of […]
HOUSTON – An early morning disturbance landed two men in jail Tuesday. Chickasaw County Sheriff Jimmy Simmons said a fight inside a home on Pittsboro Street near the Hwy. 15 bypass drew officers attention when a firearm came into play. “Two boys got into it and the third boy shot a gun to break it […]
By Lynn West New Albany Gazette UNION COUNTY — New Albany police had taken 46 suspects into custody Wednesday out of 48 indicted as part of “Operation Fish Net” and expected to get the other two soon. The operation was a mass roundup of people charged with selling drugs in New Albany. Michael Erby, head […]
HOUSTON – The loss of revenue at the county E-911 department due to a cancelled contract for dispatching services to the City of Houston had immediate effects, according to Sheriff Jimmy Simmons. “We had to let go two people,” Simmons said. Simmons said the best-case scenario would be to have a minimum of two […]
GRENADA – Margaret Olivea Baker Simmons, 81, died Saturday, Feb. 22, 2014, at her home. She was born March 12, 1932, and was the daughter of William Baker and Elsie Mae Nichols Baker of Calhoun City. She was a loving mother, wife and sister; homemaker; and a member of Hebron Baptist Church in Grenada. Services […]
HOUSTON – Barbara Soucoup, 72, died Sunday, Jan. 12, 2014, at Trace Regional Hospital in Houston. She was born Oct. 12, 1941, in Houston to Albert Simmons and Avis Griffin Simmons. She was an insurance agent for Liberty National Life Insurance Company She was known for working at Moore’s Restaurant for many years. Services […]
HOUSTON – Boys from first grade through age 10 can find entertaining and educational activities every week at the Scout Hut in Houston. Cub Scout Master, Greg Simmons, said currently there are two packs of Scouts and enrollment is still open for 2014. Simmons has a history in Scouting and is ready to share it […]
AMORY – Jerry Lamar Lee, 83, formally of Carrollton, died Tuesday, Oct. 3, 2013, at Golden Living Center in Amory. He was born March 1, 1930, to Walter and Maggie Simmons Lee. He was a retired truck driver. He was a member of Old Union Church of Christ. Services will be 11 a.m. Saturday, Oct. […]
STARKVILLE – Several students from the readership area were candidates for graduation following the spring 2013 term at Mississippi State University. Graduates and their degrees are listed below with recognition for honor graduates. * Kevin Burdine of Houlka, College of Arts and Sciences, MPPA * Denise Crape of Okolona, College of Arts and Sciences, BS […]
HOUSTON – The Chickasaw County Board of Supervisors is looking at different methods of adding security and safety to both Courthouses in the county. EMA Director Linda Griffin brought quotes to the May 6 meeting for fire alarm systems for the courthouses and panic buttons to be installed in the offices of the Circuit and […]
- DANIEL GARDNER: Love and Hate July 22, 2015
- All weather walkers July 26, 2015
- Area students earn ICC scholarships July 26, 2015
- Houlka trustees Ok demolition, infrastructure details July 27, 2015
- FLOYD INGRAM: It’s time to consider your choices July 27, 2015
- Area residents graduate ICC program July 28, 2015
- Area trio earns ICC scholarships July 28, 2015
- Fusion Furniture expanding in Ecru July 28, 2015
- Unusually high absentee voting activity reported July 28, 2015
- Summer details handled by Okolona trustees July 28, 2015
- Jimmie Hardin: I for one cared that it was a week late. I live in...
- Daniel Drown: Great article about this timeless masterpiece that...
- Greg Schmidt: This is good news because this is one of the most ...
- Barbara Swanson: I found this amazing site to make a living online....
- Kansas and Mississippi become 8th and 9th states to allow carrying without a permit - Crime Prevention Research Center: […] The Kansas and Mississippi governors hav...