By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON — State. Sen. Chris McDaniel of Ellisville, who narrowly lost Tuesday in the Republican primary runoff in his bid to upend incumbent Thad Cochran indicated late Wednesday he still is not conceding. “In the coming days, our team will look into the irregularities to determine whether a […]
Tag Archives | Senator
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – While a record number of Mississippians turned out for the June 3 Republican primary to vote for either incumbent U.S. Sen. Thad Cochran or challenger Chris McDaniel of Ellisville, that doesn’t necessarily mean there was intense interest in the race statewide. There was in McDaniel’s home […]
By David Espo and Emily Wagster Pettus Associated Press JACKSON – Forced into a Mississippi runoff, challenger Chris McDaniel and veteran Sen. Thad Cochran plunged into a three-week campaign Wednesday to pick a Republican candidate for the fall and settle the tea party’s last, best attempt of the year to topple a pillar of the […]
TUPELO – Movers and shakers from around Northeast Mississippi heard the latest trends in education, economic development and tourism at the 18th Annual State of the Region meeting at the BancorpSouth Conference Center. Chickasaw County was well represented with the local delegation of more than a dozen hearing State Superintendent of Education Carey Wright stress […]
HOUSTON – Thomas Jefferson was the author of the Declaration of Independence, President of the United States, champion for education as the strength of democracy and advocate for a free press and freedom of religion. He also had a spirit of excellence, entrepreneurship, leadership and a heart to give back to America. It is for […]
CHICKSAW COUNTY – A bill to consolidate Chickasaw County Schools in Houlka and Okolona schools was killed in committee in the Mississippi Legislature this month, but the idea, which popped up last year, is far from dead. Mississippi lawmakers were asked to consider administrative school consolidations in several counties this session. The bill affecting […]
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – Four Northeast Mississippi school districts would be consolidated under legislation proposed by Rep. Brad Mayo, R-Oxford. Amory and Aberdeen would be merged, while the Okolona and Chickasaw County districts would be consolidated in Mayo’s proposal, which consolidates 21 districts into 11. He conceded Tuesday the […]
Jolly honored by Farm Bureau Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Sen. Russell Jolly of Houston is the Mississippi Farm Bureau Federation’s 2013 Friend of Agriculture for the Mississippi Senate. The presentation was made during the organization’s annual meeting in December. Sen. Jolly represents Dist. 8, consisting of Chickasaw, Calhoun, Grenada and […]
- Houston proposes tax hike September 12, 2014
- ICC Adult Learner scholars September 16, 2014
- Liquor defeated, beer apparently approved in Pontotoc September 17, 2014
- Houston WalMart target of bomb scare September 17, 2014
- EDITORIAL: Your Hospital September 18, 2014
- Okolona falls hard, 25-24 September 18, 2014
- Lady Hilltoppers pounds Calhoun City September 18, 2014
- FLOYD INGRAM: How about a little change September 18, 2014
- Houston running game rolls September 18, 2014
- ER closes, clinic opens at Trace September 18, 2014
- Tammy Pettit: I get that you and I know several others are upset...
- Lolette: Well since most people work during the week dont y...
- Carol Mac: I went to the Tupelo run, and I have some advice f...
- Candace R.: If that isn't nepotism, what is??? The solution ...
- Linda Huffman: Our home school policy is a joke. Some of these ch...