The Houston Hilltoppers snagged their first district win on the road Jan. 11, defeating Caledonia 80-53. Anquan Russell led for the Toppers with 21 points, followed by Sharone Wright with 19. Chris Jones had 16 and Caleb Morgan posted 12 in the win. Lafayette tops Toppers ECRU – Montreal Nabors and Brandon Mack’s 15 points […]
Tag Archives | schools
By Bobby Harrison NEMS Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – Numerous Northeast Mississippi legislators, both Republicans and Democrats, are not completely sold on charter schools as a tool to help improve the state’s educational outcomes. In interviews during the opening week of the 2013 session with 20 Northeast Mississippi legislators, a majority said they […]
HOUSTON – The Houston Board of Aldermen named Daniel Heeringa as its 2013 appointment to the Houston School Board of Trustees last week. Heeringa will now fill out a full term and be up for re-appointment to his post on the Houston School Board in February 2018. Heeringa had been appointed by the city in […]
The photo that ran in last week’s Chickasaw Journal showed new Okolona Municipal School District trustees standing in a circle and all their hands placed on a Bible as they took the oath of office. The photo showed Okolona now has their school back under local control The picture showed a group of people who […]
HOUSTON – The Houston High School cheer squad had a long, long day of competition in Jackson Dec. 15, but were successful in placing third in their division at the MHSAA State competition. This year, the format changed from competing in divisions 1-6 as other sports do. “It’s based on how many members you have […]
HOUSTON – Students with no office discipline referrals (ODR) for the second nine weeks at Houston Lower Elementary School recently enjoyed a mini-rodeo. “The purpose of this event was to reward those boys and girls who did not get an ODR second nine weeks. We also hoped to motivate those who did receive a referral […]
by Bobby Harrison/NEMS Daily Journal JACKSON – The issues have been clearly defined for the Mississippi Legislature’s 2013 session, which begins at noon Tuesday. Most believe the primary focus of the session will be education – particularly charter schools and possibly other Republican proposals dealing with school choice options. Part of that focus will be […]
OKOLONA – The “dream team,” as they have been called around town, was sworn into office as the newest Board of Education Trustees for the Okolona Municipal School District Dec. 18. Okolona Mayor Louise Cole addressed the new trustees, and the public gathered for the ceremony, to thank them for their service to the school […]
A story is told about the childhood of former president Teddy Roosevelt. One Sunday morning, as Teddy was getting ready for church, his father came into the room. He saw that Teddy had his slingshot in one pocket and was attaching a knife to his belt. The father, who was confused, asked Teddy why he […]
Dore Program will be implemented as part of partnership with Mississippi State educators. HOUSTON – A cutting edge study implementing a new learning initiative and research study will begin in the Houston Upper Elementary School after the first of the year. Dore – an individualized, cerebellar development program – will be brought to Houston […]
OKOLONA – After almost three years, Okolona now has a school board and trustees that will direct local schools. The Okolona Mayor and Board of Aldermen named five people to the school board at their meeting last week. The five Okolona School Board Trustees and background are: • Sara L. Jenkins – Retired school counselor. • Dr. […]
HOUSTON – The school shooting in Newtown, Conn., that killed 20 children and six adults has stunned the nation and prompted local school officials to look at security measures. Houston Superintendent Dr. Steve Coker said the district has a security policy – but the schools in Newtown did too – and will make changes. “As […]
- LOCAL FOCUS: Rutherford Chiropractic March 5, 2014
- Senior night March 7, 2014
- All runs come to an end March 7, 2014
- Reading is learning March 7, 2014
- WINTER JAM: Christian music festival sells out at BancorpSouth Arena March 7, 2014
- Lenten lunches begin Wednesday March 11, 2014
- HOSA students moving on to State March 11, 2014
- Friends of Scouting dinner coming March 11, 2014
- Lady Toppers softball camp March 29 March 11, 2014
- Topper football pictures sought March 11, 2014
- Marathon set for Tanglefoot Trail | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Trail opening was top story for 2013 [...
- Tickets issued for dogs in Okolona | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Robertson speaks to Okolona Aldermen [...
- DOCKET: Circuit Court in Okolona | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Circuit Court verdicts imposed in Okolon...
- WEDDING: Earnest/Morgan | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] E.J. Earnest […]...
- 60th ANNIVERSARY: Rad & Betty Clark | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Ralph Coggins […]...