Sp ecial to the Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Republican Trent Kelly won the race for Mississippi’s 1st Congressional District but Chickasaw County Democrats did not give up without a fight. The Saltillo District Attorney easily defeated Democrat Howard Zinn in the overall Northeast Mississippi race and will now fill the post of former Congressman […]
Tag Archives | Saltillo
HOUSTON – The Houston High School cross country team recently ran in two Northeast Mississippi events with local trekkers posting solid times and taking home honors for the Hilltoppers. “The weather has gotten cooler and we should see times pickup,” said Patricia Ellison, Houston High School cross country coach. “I also want to point out […]
SALTILLO – Shirley Rouse Pierce died Wednesday, June 11, 2014, at North Mississippi Medical Center after an extended illness. She was born in Lee County to Noel and Christine Nichols Robbins. For more than 25 years, she was an agent and district coordinator for AFLAC Insurance and previously worked as the Human Resource Manager for […]
More than 50 additional indictments from the Union County April 15-16 grand jury session have been released by the circuit clerk’s office. Indictments remain secret until defendants are taken into custody (if they are not already jailed) and formally served with the indictment papers. Officials said about 40 more indictments remain unreleased. Typically, the last […]
BELDEN – Lynette Dobbs, 72, died Wednesday, May 7, 2014, at North Mississippi Medical Center after a brief illness. She was born Jan. 18, 1942, in Calhoun County to Rosco and Rebecca Hill. She was a homemaker and a member of Chesterville Calvary Baptist Church. She loved fishing, camping, hunting, gardening, flowers, family gatherings, cooking […]
Furniture Brands Wind Down Inc., the remnant of bankrupt Furniture Brands International, has reached a deal with its creditors and the federal Pension Benefit Guaranty Corp. The settlement, which still needs court approval, has the PBGC reducing its claim against the company from $340 million to $300 million. In November,the PBGC said it would pay […]
TUPELO – For some laid-off and soon-to-be laid off employees of Lane Furniture Industries, shock and disappointment have given way to some hope. At least for a few. Last month, Lane’s parent company stunned the employees at Lane’s Saltillo plant, announcing it would be closed by March 21. Heritage Home Group said “business circumstances” forced […]
TUPELO – When Ronnie Bishop opened his first barbecue restaurant in Saltillo six years ago, he envisioned having more than one store. In 2011, he opened a second restaurant on McCullough Boulevard in Tupelo, and last year, he added a third location in Booneville. In a matter of weeks, he’ll be opening the fourth Bishop’s […]
SALTILLO – An Okolona woman was charged by Saltillo Police with shoplifting. The Sept. 27 charge against Toronto Spratt, 31, of Okolona, stems from a Sept. 21 incident in which she allegedly took a $35 dress from Emi Lou’s Boutique in Saltillo. Spratt’s bond was set at $500 in the Lee County Justice Court. Her […]
SALTILLO – Jeffrey Allen “Jeff” Franks, 46, died Friday, July 12, 2013, at his residence. A native of Zion, Ill., he was born June 26, 1967, to Aruthur V. and Barbara Funderburk Franks. He lived most of his life in Saltillo. He loved to tinker, do woodworking and carpentry work. Services will be at 1:30 […]
SALTILLO – Tina Yvonne Witcher, 45, died Wednesday, April 17, 2013, at North Mississippi Medical Center. She was born in Okolona on Jan. 6, 1968. She was a 1986 honor graduate of Okolona High School. She received her degree in accounting from the University of Mississippi and worked as an accountant for 25 years with […]
- EDITORIAL: Collecting Fines July 23, 2015
- Summer details handled by Okolona trustees July 28, 2015
- Unusually high absentee voting activity reported July 28, 2015
- Fusion Furniture expanding in Ecru July 28, 2015
- Area trio earns ICC scholarships July 28, 2015
- Woman charged with trying to sell her baby July 30, 2015
- Run right! Go long! July 30, 2015
- County will keep inmates for free July 30, 2015
- EDITORIAL: Who deserves your vote? July 30, 2015
- Quality Iron announces expansion in Houston July 30, 2015
- Jimmie Hardin: I for one cared that it was a week late. I live in...
- Daniel Drown: Great article about this timeless masterpiece that...
- Greg Schmidt: This is good news because this is one of the most ...
- Barbara Swanson: I found this amazing site to make a living online....
- Kansas and Mississippi become 8th and 9th states to allow carrying without a permit - Crime Prevention Research Center: […] The Kansas and Mississippi governors hav...