Special to the Chickasaw Journal Wednesday’s near-record snowfall began melting Thursday and Friday as warmer weather helped clear roads and allowed power crews to restore electricity across the region. Tupelo came within an inch of setting the all-time record for snow in a 24-hour period. The National Weather Service estimated Houston received 9-inches. The snow measured 8-inches deep […]
Tag Archives | Roads
By Joe Rutherford Daily Journal Northeast Mississippians should expect winter storm conditions Wednesday, with snow accumulations of 4 inches near Tupelo and 5 to 6 inches in counties to the south, the National Weather Service in Memphis forecast late Tuesday afternoon. A light rain began in Houston about 9 a.m. Wednesday morning. All Chickasaw County schools […]
By W. Derek Russell Daily Journal TUPELO – “Treacherous travel conditions” were predicted for roads Tuesday in parts of Northeast Mississippi, according to the National Weather Service in Memphis. Marlene Mickelson, a meteorologist with the NWS, said that with Monday’s mixed precipitation, it makes for a big travel nightmare leading into today. “Overnight freezing from […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal Freezing rain was reported in some parts of Northeast Mississippi Monday creating slick roadways, but no major problems had developed. The University of Mississippi delayed opening until 10 a.m. Oxford Schools ran buses and opened two hours later than usual but intend to stay open all day. Lafayette County Schools […]
OKOLONA – After a lawsuit, court costs and controversy the Chickasaw County Board of Supervisors signed off on work on County Road 4 last week. Supervisors were approached by County Engineer Ed Springer at their regular board meeting Tuesday, June 24 with documents that will close out work that resurfaced 1.39 miles of County Road […]
MEMPHIS – The National Weather Service has issued a Winter Storm Warning that covers much of Northeast Mississippi from 9 p.m. Tuesday to 6 p.m. Wednesday. The warning updates an earlier winter storm watch. Counties included in this region are Alcorn, Benton, Calhoun, Chickasaw, Itawamba, Lee, Monroe, Pontotoc, Prentiss, Tippah, Tishomingo and Union. Forecasters expect […]
Most school districts across Northeast Mississippi are closed this morning due to the risk of driving on icy roads. With an inch or so of snow having fallen overnight, whatever traffic there is often turns the inch or so of snow that fell overnight into a layer of ice on bridges, overpasses and shaded slopes. […]
Daily Journal HOLLY SPRINGS – The Mississippi Department of Transportation reports that icy conditions have been reported in Marshall and Benton counties of Northeast Mississippi. Bridges and overpasses are especially hazardous. NATCHEZ TRACE TRAVEL ADVISORY: A traveler advisory has taken effect for portions of the Natchez Trace in northeast Mississippi. The advisory is in effect […]
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – A task force created by the state Senate to look at Mississippi’s transportation needs tentatively plans to hold at least three public hearings throughout the state to garner input. The public hearings will have to be held soon to give the Transportation Task Force time to […]
- COPES: Super Moms honored May 20, 2015
- Hill named to National Society of Collegiate Scholars May 19, 2015
- Okolona graduates urged to excel May 21, 2015
- East Webster toppled by inside-the-park HR in Game Two May 21, 2015
- Houston aldermen discuss Park & Recreation funds May 22, 2015
- Click It or Ticket! May 25, 2015
- Monday morning Memorial Day May 24, 2015
- Looking at the future May 24, 2015
- Spring squirrel season opens May 23, 2015
- EDITORIAL: Summer is a time to grow May 23, 2015
- Barbara Swanson: I found this amazing site to make a living online....
- Kansas and Mississippi become 8th and 9th states to allow carrying without a permit - Crime Prevention Research Center: […] The Kansas and Mississippi governors hav...
- Tg007.net: if you want the town to grow stop taxing the busin...
- i’m engaged, you can be too | architecture | equality: […] the design and related impacts of a new...
- Royal Chocolate: Great to see progress in my hometown!...