The U.S. Department of Interior and National Parks Services has named the Tanglefoot Trail as one of 10 in the nation to be designated as a National Recreation Trail. It has been named one of the Top 10 Attractions by the Mississippi Tourism Board and was recently honored as a “50 Hidden Gems Across America” […]
Tag Archives | Railroad
HOUSTON – There was a day and age when catching a ride to Okolona or Houston was as easy as flagging down the line car on the old OHCC Railroad. Parkersburg was one of about a dozen flag stops on the Okolona, Houston, Calhoun City (OHCC) Railroad and service on the line was not stopped […]
PONTOTOC – Less than six months after its official opening, the Tanglefoot Trail is slated to host several athletic events this spring. The 44-mile paved trail that succeeds the historic GM&O Railroad will host the Altis Endurance Marathon and Half-Marathon on March 30. The event will begin and end in Houston, at the trail’s […]
Drivers who travel Highway 41 through Okolona are being asked to find another route Tuesday morning. The Mississippi Department of Transportation (MDOT) will close Highway 41 at the intersection of Kansas City Southern railroad crossing at 7 a.m. Tuesday to repair the crossing. This is a temporary road closing to allow KCS to improve the […]
David Helms Pontotoc Progress The tentative August 17 opening date for the Tanglefoot Trail has been postponed for at least a few more weeks while the contractor completes last minute work along the 44.5-mile route, which runs from Houston, through Pontotoc, to New Albany. Last week, officials had begun finalizing plans for trail opening ceremonies, […]
In real estate there are three factors that determine the value of a piece of property. Location. Location Location. In the economic development business that attracts industry to a community the three factors are: Infrastructure, infrastructure, infrastructure. That point was hammered home time and time again at Friday’s State of the Region meeting that saw […]
Rails to Trails concerns Dear Editor, If you are pleased with the Rails to Trails waste of taxpayers’ money, you are one of the few. That money could have been spent on the roads for the benefit of the working people so they could get to work safely and not have to spend all their […]
OKOLONA – The theme of the Okolona Area Chamber of Commerce banquet was on business and industry with recognitions going out to existing companies but the largest business recognized was the one that is not there – yet. Randy Kelley, Executive Director of Three Rivers Planning and Development District, announced the Chickasaw County Rail Site, […]
- Okolona celebrates graduation May 20, 2016
- State of the Region meeting set for May 26 May 24, 2016
- JAY HUGHES: Threats and promises from lawmakers May 24, 2016
- Pugh earns WBC Business Award May 25, 2016
- NEWS BRIEFS: Feeding program, driver’s license and county election commissioners May 25, 2016
- The best we can produce May 27, 2016
- Vardaman packs gym for graduation May 27, 2016
- Hebron clinches MAIS championship May 26, 2016
- Toppers’ Smith shuts out Newton May 26, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Helping those who help us May 26, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...