HOUSTON – There was a day and age when catching a ride to Okolona or Houston was as easy as flagging down the line car on the old OHCC Railroad. Parkersburg was one of about a dozen flag stops on the Okolona, Houston, Calhoun City (OHCC) Railroad and service on the line was not stopped […]
Tag Archives | Railroad
PONTOTOC – Less than six months after its official opening, the Tanglefoot Trail is slated to host several athletic events this spring. The 44-mile paved trail that succeeds the historic GM&O Railroad will host the Altis Endurance Marathon and Half-Marathon on March 30. The event will begin and end in Houston, at the trail’s […]
Drivers who travel Highway 41 through Okolona are being asked to find another route Tuesday morning. The Mississippi Department of Transportation (MDOT) will close Highway 41 at the intersection of Kansas City Southern railroad crossing at 7 a.m. Tuesday to repair the crossing. This is a temporary road closing to allow KCS to improve the […]
David Helms Pontotoc Progress The tentative August 17 opening date for the Tanglefoot Trail has been postponed for at least a few more weeks while the contractor completes last minute work along the 44.5-mile route, which runs from Houston, through Pontotoc, to New Albany. Last week, officials had begun finalizing plans for trail opening ceremonies, […]
In real estate there are three factors that determine the value of a piece of property. Location. Location Location. In the economic development business that attracts industry to a community the three factors are: Infrastructure, infrastructure, infrastructure. That point was hammered home time and time again at Friday’s State of the Region meeting that saw […]
Rails to Trails concerns Dear Editor, If you are pleased with the Rails to Trails waste of taxpayers’ money, you are one of the few. That money could have been spent on the roads for the benefit of the working people so they could get to work safely and not have to spend all their […]
OKOLONA – The theme of the Okolona Area Chamber of Commerce banquet was on business and industry with recognitions going out to existing companies but the largest business recognized was the one that is not there – yet. Randy Kelley, Executive Director of Three Rivers Planning and Development District, announced the Chickasaw County Rail Site, […]
- BOBBY SANDERSON: Service to humanity November 15, 2014
- NEMCC softball named NFCA Top 10 academically November 18, 2014
- Stephens cast in ICC production November 18, 2014
- Houlka Community Thanksgiving is Nov. 22 November 19, 2014
- Defense plays its part in Cal-City’s perfect season November 19, 2014
- A man with a gun November 21, 2014
- Helping Hands of Houlka November 21, 2014
- Listening to those who served November 21, 2014
- Volunteers need to answer the call November 20, 2014
- Holiday stockpile November 20, 2014
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...
- Sad for Our Kids: Bravo! You've done your job as an advocate for a...
- Tammy Pettit: I get that you and I know several others are upset...