The U.S. Department of Interior and National Parks Services has named the Tanglefoot Trail as one of 10 in the nation to be designated as a National Recreation Trail. It has been named one of the Top 10 Attractions by the Mississippi Tourism Board and was recently honored as a “50 Hidden Gems Across America” […]
Tag Archives | Railroad
HOUSTON – There was a day and age when catching a ride to Okolona or Houston was as easy as flagging down the line car on the old OHCC Railroad. Parkersburg was one of about a dozen flag stops on the Okolona, Houston, Calhoun City (OHCC) Railroad and service on the line was not stopped […]
PONTOTOC – Less than six months after its official opening, the Tanglefoot Trail is slated to host several athletic events this spring. The 44-mile paved trail that succeeds the historic GM&O Railroad will host the Altis Endurance Marathon and Half-Marathon on March 30. The event will begin and end in Houston, at the trail’s […]
Drivers who travel Highway 41 through Okolona are being asked to find another route Tuesday morning. The Mississippi Department of Transportation (MDOT) will close Highway 41 at the intersection of Kansas City Southern railroad crossing at 7 a.m. Tuesday to repair the crossing. This is a temporary road closing to allow KCS to improve the […]
David Helms Pontotoc Progress The tentative August 17 opening date for the Tanglefoot Trail has been postponed for at least a few more weeks while the contractor completes last minute work along the 44.5-mile route, which runs from Houston, through Pontotoc, to New Albany. Last week, officials had begun finalizing plans for trail opening ceremonies, […]
In real estate there are three factors that determine the value of a piece of property. Location. Location Location. In the economic development business that attracts industry to a community the three factors are: Infrastructure, infrastructure, infrastructure. That point was hammered home time and time again at Friday’s State of the Region meeting that saw […]
Rails to Trails concerns Dear Editor, If you are pleased with the Rails to Trails waste of taxpayers’ money, you are one of the few. That money could have been spent on the roads for the benefit of the working people so they could get to work safely and not have to spend all their […]
OKOLONA – The theme of the Okolona Area Chamber of Commerce banquet was on business and industry with recognitions going out to existing companies but the largest business recognized was the one that is not there – yet. Randy Kelley, Executive Director of Three Rivers Planning and Development District, announced the Chickasaw County Rail Site, […]
- Teachers to be allowed to paddle September 28, 2015
- CenterStage picks local talent September 28, 2015
- Flywheel Festival was fall fun October 1, 2015
- Hilltoppers rumble October 1, 2015
- Supervisors juggle county positions October 1, 2015
- WEDDING: Adams / Gregory October 4, 2015
- WEDDING: Byrne / Blissard October 4, 2015
- AREA ROUNDUP: Adams scores three touchdowns in limited action October 3, 2015
- Tanglefoot Trail signs destroyed in Pontotoc County October 3, 2015
- DANIEL GARDNER: Politicians parsing words October 3, 2015
- George Edgar Worley: See Sparethekids.com and BeatingBlackKids.com for ...
- George Edgar Worley: WATCH Montel Williams on School Paddling of Studen...
- George Edgar Worley: #BlackLivesMatter ? #srebeducation Students to Sch...
- George Edgar Worley: WATCH Documentary Exposes the Brutally Violent TRU...
- Carolyn Goggans: In the pictures above ( the second from the bottom...