Chickasaw County’s unemployment statistics released last week offer an encouraging statement about the area’s economy, perhaps the strongest affirmation so far of a comeback after the Great Recession late in the first decade of the century. After more than eight years of averaging a double digit jobless rate, it looks like folks are going back […]
Tag Archives | quality of life
Winning isn’t everything, but it sure is a lot better than losing. The 2014 Houston Hilltopper baseball team was defeated by St. Stanislaus Friday night and we hated that loss just as much as the boys on the field. If the umpire had seen the Game Two slide at third the way church-going folk in […]
Voters went to the polls yesterday to choose a Congressman and they will head to the polls in just a few short months to select their county leaders for the next four years. With all the problems we have in America, this newspaper and this community realizes the man we send to Washington […]
OKOLONA – They remembered those living veterans and those who have died at cemeteries all across America on Saturday and in Okolona, too. Wreaths Across America saw Okolona begin its ceremony at 11 a.m. sharp to coincide with the noon ceremony at Arlington National Cemetery and more than 100 similar events in all 50 states […]
Everybody is for progress, but no one wants to change. That mindset is just as true in New York City and Washington D.C., as it is in Chickasaw County. Things in this world don’t change unless someone gets out of their comfort zone and goes about the hard work of making a difference in the […]
As part of the continuing “Live in the Park” series sponsored by the Chickasaw Development Foundation, Brenda Whitlock will be in concert in the Master Gardners Park beside Houston City Hall June 5. Whitlock is a native of Okolona and a renowned gospel singer/songwriter whose lastest song “Not Gonna Let Nobody Take My Crown,” was […]
Defining quality of life is difficult, but following planning and zoning ordinances is one way to get there. The complexity of Houston’s ordinances and zoning regulations is not any different from the intricate and involved rules and city laws found in Okolona or Tupelo. Few people know all the details. The best residents can hope […]
I turned the corner Friday morning on the way to work and spotted the Golden Eagle on top of the Courthouse Square. It was just a break in the trees and the sun at the perfect angle to give me a new view of something that I had seen dozens of times. But it was […]
HOUSTON – The Chickasaw Development Foundation voted to change their mission statement and will now focus more on community building, attracting businesses and improving the quality of life for Chickasaw County. CDF bylaws require the organization to have a mission statement and leaders are charged with following it and using it as a guide in […]
HOUSTON – The Houston Solar Race Team has spent the last year hosting fundraising events and soliciting sponsors for their upcoming race and has met their budget goals. The team hosted several events and the Sundancer Steering Committee sent out the call for sponsors and donations and received some extra help from a local business. […]
- DANIEL GARDNER: Love and Hate July 22, 2015
- All weather walkers July 26, 2015
- Area students earn ICC scholarships July 26, 2015
- Houlka trustees Ok demolition, infrastructure details July 27, 2015
- FLOYD INGRAM: It’s time to consider your choices July 27, 2015
- Area residents graduate ICC program July 28, 2015
- Area trio earns ICC scholarships July 28, 2015
- Fusion Furniture expanding in Ecru July 28, 2015
- Unusually high absentee voting activity reported July 28, 2015
- Summer details handled by Okolona trustees July 28, 2015
- Jimmie Hardin: I for one cared that it was a week late. I live in...
- Daniel Drown: Great article about this timeless masterpiece that...
- Greg Schmidt: This is good news because this is one of the most ...
- Barbara Swanson: I found this amazing site to make a living online....
- Kansas and Mississippi become 8th and 9th states to allow carrying without a permit - Crime Prevention Research Center: […] The Kansas and Mississippi governors hav...