By Jeff Amy Associated Press JACKSON – A co-defendant of former Mississippi Corrections Commissioner Christopher Epps wants to withdraw his guilty plea in a bribery case, a lawyer said Monday. Epps had been scheduled for sentencing Monday after he pleaded guilty alongside Cecil McCrory to money laundering and filing false tax returns related to $1.47 […]
Tag Archives | prison
Special to the Chickasaw Journal TUPELO – A Pontotoc man is in the Lee County Jail, accusing of owing $28,000 in child support payments. Joe Oscar Coptane, 35, of Pontotoc, was arrested Monday after a Lee County grand jury indicted him for two counts of failure to pay child support. An investigation by the […]
By William Moore Daily Journal CALHOUN CITY – A Calhoun County couple is facing the death penalty in connection with a fatal shooting in Bruce. Calhoun County sheriff Greg Pollan said capital murder charges were filed against JaShon Coleman, 21, of Derma, and Breanna Westmoreland, 17, of Banner. If convicted of capital murder, the only […]
By Patsy R. Brumfield Special to the Daily Journal JACKSON – Former state prisons chief Christopher B. Epps faces sentencing April 11 for his admissions to a kickback-bribery scheme, which allegedly netted him nearly $2 million for choosing contract favorites. His attorneys and federal prosecutors agreed to the new date after meeting Tuesday before U.S. […]
By Jack Elliott Jr. Associated Press JACKSON – A Mississippi death row inmate is back before the state’s high court to challenge the evidence and his lawyer’s performance during his trial in the slayings of two elderly women. Willie Jerome Manning is appealing an Oktibbeha County judge’s denial of his post-conviction challenges related to evidence […]
OKOLONA – Rev. Lesley Mabry said his children are fortunate to have a mother and father in the home but he pointed to hundreds of homes in Chickasaw County and thousands of homes across the state headed by a single mom. “Men have relinquished their responsibility to be the leader and the head of their […]
JACKSON (AP) – A Mississippi man convicted in the death of a Dutch cyclist has died in a federal prison hospital in North Carolina. Chris Burke, a spokesman for the U.S. Bureau of Prison, says Wendell G. Blount, died Wednesday in the prison hospital in Butner, N.C. Burke says it appears Blount died of natural […]
CHICKASAW COUNTY – The father often plays a shadowy role in the bulk of teen pregnancies, but the numbers show that when men are active fathers the child, the mother and the man all do better. There was a day and age of shotgun weddings and social rules that said a boy and girl […]
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON — Both Republican Gov. Phil Bryant and Democratic Attorney General Jim Hood said they believe that changes to the state’s criminal justice system need to be enacted during the 2014 session to control costs while ensuring the people who are truly dangerous to society get long prison […]
- Group digruntled by principal change April 22, 2016
- HLES names 3rd nine week honor roll April 26, 2016
- Pellet gun prompts Middle School lockdown April 26, 2016
- Hamby recognized for driving safety April 27, 2016
- FAFSA Fridays April 27, 2016
- Drug disposal day is Saturday April 28, 2016
- Rams fall short on Senior Night April 28, 2016
- Lady Toppers tripped by Lady Wolverines April 28, 2016
- A perfect festival April 28, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Collecting old fines, collecting on promises April 28, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...