HOULKA – Chickasaw County School Board Trustees adopted a $4.4 million budget Monday night that will require them to dip into their fund balance to balance the books. On a motion by Trustee Pam Butler and a second by Michelle Collums, the district voted to approve the 2014-15 budget. Trustees Kenneth Linton, Jamie Earp and […]
Tag Archives | Preston Sullivan
OKOLONA – 100 years ago, Okolona attorney, A.T. Stovall, wrote to the Carnegie Corporation requesting funds to build a library for the City of Okolona. The foundation, created by Andrew Carnegie to advance teaching and education, granted the request with a donation of $7,500 to construct a building. The City of Okolona partnered with the […]
News last week that the one of the first major deadlines in the Mississippi Legislature had killed a bill that would consolidate Houlka and Okolona School has been met with cheers and jeers by folks across this community. Senator Russell Jolly’s comment that joining a failing school district with a passing school district is not […]
OKOLONA – Lorene Tacker Hill, 94, died Wednesday, Jan. 15, 2014, at her home surrounded by her loving family. She was born May 8, 1919, to William David and Sally Witt Tacker. A lifelong resident of Chickasaw County, she graduated from Egypt School in 1938. She married Edward Hill on Dec. 14, 1938, the marriage […]
OKOLONA – Aldermen would love to have a Mississippi driver’s license office at Rockwell Auditorium, but the demands of the Mississippi State Highway Patrol won’t make it easy. The Okolona Board of Aldermen received a list of office requirements the state needs before it can establish a driver’s license testing location in town. The […]
HOUSTON – The whistles will blow Sunday afternoon and the Tanglefoot Trail will officially open for Houston, Houlka and points north. The old railroad bed of the former GM&O railroad has been turned into a bike and walking path after years of work by the communities located along the trail and Sunday’s 30-minute ceremony begins […]
Consider this predicament: For a Chickasaw County resident to get a license to drive on the state’s highways they have to drive out of the county to be tested and photographed to obtain that privilege. But a bill before the Mississippi Legislature may soon require the Mississippi Department of Public Safety to have a driver’s […]
- Mr. Houston January 25, 2015
- EDITORIAL: A tough job January 29, 2015
- FLOYD INGRAM: The culture of the Super Bowl January 29, 2015
- Knight turn out lights on Houston January 29, 2015
- Trustees moving quickly January 30, 2015
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: James Meredith January 31, 2015
- Open posts in Chickasaw, Monroe draw crowd of candidates January 31, 2015
- AG arrests two for false filings January 31, 2015
- Nunnelee’s cancer no longer treatable, spokesman says January 30, 2015
- Supper in the sights January 30, 2015
- Royal Chocolate: Great to see progress in my hometown!...
- Cherry Walker: I had heard this woman's name before so I did som...
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...