By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Voters head to the poll next week to pick their county and state leaders with 53 local candidates vying for 13 posts. The polls open at 7 a.m. Tuesday and close 12-hours later at 7 p.m. with voters needing to bring voting identification. Race results will be posted […]
Tag Archives | Preston Sullivan
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – The state Senate rejected a proposal to phase in full funding of the Mississippi Adequate Education Program over a three-year period and instead sent to Gov. Phil Bryant a bill that increases funding for education by $110 million. The Senate proposal, which passed the House earlier […]
HOULKA – Chickasaw County School Board Trustees adopted a $4.4 million budget Monday night that will require them to dip into their fund balance to balance the books. On a motion by Trustee Pam Butler and a second by Michelle Collums, the district voted to approve the 2014-15 budget. Trustees Kenneth Linton, Jamie Earp and […]
OKOLONA – 100 years ago, Okolona attorney, A.T. Stovall, wrote to the Carnegie Corporation requesting funds to build a library for the City of Okolona. The foundation, created by Andrew Carnegie to advance teaching and education, granted the request with a donation of $7,500 to construct a building. The City of Okolona partnered with the […]
News last week that the one of the first major deadlines in the Mississippi Legislature had killed a bill that would consolidate Houlka and Okolona School has been met with cheers and jeers by folks across this community. Senator Russell Jolly’s comment that joining a failing school district with a passing school district is not […]
OKOLONA – Lorene Tacker Hill, 94, died Wednesday, Jan. 15, 2014, at her home surrounded by her loving family. She was born May 8, 1919, to William David and Sally Witt Tacker. A lifelong resident of Chickasaw County, she graduated from Egypt School in 1938. She married Edward Hill on Dec. 14, 1938, the marriage […]
OKOLONA – Aldermen would love to have a Mississippi driver’s license office at Rockwell Auditorium, but the demands of the Mississippi State Highway Patrol won’t make it easy. The Okolona Board of Aldermen received a list of office requirements the state needs before it can establish a driver’s license testing location in town. The […]
HOUSTON – The whistles will blow Sunday afternoon and the Tanglefoot Trail will officially open for Houston, Houlka and points north. The old railroad bed of the former GM&O railroad has been turned into a bike and walking path after years of work by the communities located along the trail and Sunday’s 30-minute ceremony begins […]
Consider this predicament: For a Chickasaw County resident to get a license to drive on the state’s highways they have to drive out of the county to be tested and photographed to obtain that privilege. But a bill before the Mississippi Legislature may soon require the Mississippi Department of Public Safety to have a driver’s […]
- Teachers to be allowed to paddle September 28, 2015
- DUKE DENTON: Hospitals owe patients a list of procedure costs September 27, 2015
- Huffman, Webb earn ICC scholarships September 30, 2015
- Vardaman wins homecoming, 48-7 October 1, 2015
- EDITORIAL: Let’s get on the Trail October 1, 2015
- AREA ROUNDUP: Adams scores three touchdowns in limited action October 3, 2015
- Tanglefoot Trail signs destroyed in Pontotoc County October 3, 2015
- DANIEL GARDNER: Politicians parsing words October 3, 2015
- WEEK 7: High School Football Scores October 3, 2015
- FLOYD INGRAM: Fall fun in Topper Town October 2, 2015
- George Edgar Worley: See Sparethekids.com and BeatingBlackKids.com for ...
- George Edgar Worley: WATCH Montel Williams on School Paddling of Studen...
- George Edgar Worley: #BlackLivesMatter ? #srebeducation Students to Sch...
- George Edgar Worley: WATCH Documentary Exposes the Brutally Violent TRU...
- Carolyn Goggans: In the pictures above ( the second from the bottom...