By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Will Porter plead guilty to murder and was sentenced to life in Chickasaw County Circuit Court on the last day of the March term. The case stems from the death of Amanda Porter, 23, who was found stabbed at her home in Houston in January 2013. Porter, 29, […]
Tag Archives | Porter
By William Moore Daily Journal TUPELO – The term “big election” really applies to the races for Monroe County circuit clerk and Chickasaw County sheriff. Neither incumbent has chosen to seek re-election and just half-way through the qualifying period, each race already has eight candidates. Qualifying will continue until 5 p.m. on Feb. 27. In […]
HOUSTON — Dorothy Guien “Cricket” Huffman King, 76, died Sunday, June 8, 2014, at Sanctuary Hospice House in Tupelo. She was born June 6, 1938, in the Enon Community to Ralph Elzo Huffman and Elizabeth Sisk Huffman. She was retired from Dixieland Furniture and was a member of Enon Primitive Baptist Church. Services are Tuesday, […]
HOUSTON – The May term of Chickasaw County Circuit Court in Houston saw a number of probation revocations and five guilty pleas accepted by the court. Eight persons already under the courts purview for previous convictions saw their probation revoked or extended after being charged with new crimes or failing to report or pass drug […]
HOUSTON – Brecker Johnson, 39, pled guilty to the reduced charge of manslaughter and was sentenced as a habitual offender to 20-years with no opportunity for parole by Chickasaw County Circuit Court Judge Robert Elliott Monday. Johnson had initially been charged with the murder of John L. Wofford, who was stabbed at their Woodland residence […]
HOUSTON – Gretchen Marie Morrison, 86, died Sunday, Feb. 9, 2014, at Floy Dyer Manor in Houston. She was born June 28, 1927, in Ashland, Wis. to Lyle Tolliver and Marion Albright Tolliver. She was the eldest of 10 children. After graduating from Ashland High School, she moved to Mississippi to live with relatives and […]
Ruble Parker CALHOUN CITY – Ruble Parker, 83, died Friday, May 3, 2013, at Trace Regional Hospital in Houston. He was born Nov. 8, 1929, in Calhoun County. He was a retired from Tension Envelope in Memphis after 35 years. He was a captain in the U.S. Army during the Korean conflict. He was a […]
HOUSTON — Amanda Atkins Porter, 23, died Feb. 24, 2013, at home. Services were at 3 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 28 at Dowdle Funeral Home Chapel in Millport. Burial followed in Bethlehem Baptist Church Cemetery in Pickens County with Dowdle Funeral Home of Millport directing. She was preceded in death by her father, Ricky Atkins. Survivors […]
HOUSTON – A Chickasaw County man has been charged with murder and could face arson charges stemming from two incidents just east of the Natchez Trace on Highway 8 Sunday morning. Authorities were initially called to a report of a car on fire near Pumphrey’s Grocery about 5:30 a.m., and their investigation led to a […]
- TEE IT UP: Week 1 High School Football Capsules August 21, 2015
- Monroe County deputy shot following traffic stop August 24, 2015
- Sweet potato field day will be held Aug. 27 August 25, 2015
- MSU professor to lead national beef organization August 25, 2015
- Alabama man indicted in fatal Trace wreck August 25, 2015
- WEEK 2: High School Football Capsules August 28, 2015
- Training for the worst August 28, 2015
- MSU student threats lead to lockdown, arrest August 28, 2015
- Two solar farms sprout in Chickasaw County August 28, 2015
- Potential + Effort = Success August 26, 2015
- Randy Wanat: Change "Christianity" to "Islam" and suddenly ...
- TRSmith: What happens to students who reside in the distric...
- Beth: The only way to protect ourselves and our benefits...
- Jimmie Hardin: I for one cared that it was a week late. I live in...
- Daniel Drown: Great article about this timeless masterpiece that...