By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – Parents will be eligible for up to $5,000 per year in state funds to send their children to private schools under legislation pending in both chambers of the Mississippi Legislature. The legislation could be taken up as early as today in either the House or Senate […]
Tag Archives | Phil Bryant
By Chris Kieffer, Bobby Harrison and Errol Castens Daily Journal TUPELO – University of Mississippi Chancellor Dan Jones has been offered a two-year contract extension by the State Institutions of Higher Learning, sources have confirmed to the Daily Journal. Under the offer, Jones would be given a two-year extension, instead of the traditional four-year contract, […]
Daily Journal, wire reports JACKSON – House leaders are giving up on requiring school to start later in August. The House passed Senate Bill 2571 Tuesday, repealing a 2012 law saying public schools can start class no earlier than August’s third Monday. The bill was held for more debate. If House members reject that, it […]
JACKSON – After testing, interviewing and showing at Dixie National competition, C.J. Weddle of Vardaman brought home a nice prize. Weddle was named Premier Exhibitor for showing goats and was awarded a $2,000 scholarship to the college of her choice. The Vardaman High School freshman still has a few years to decide where to use […]
By Emily Wagster Pettus Associated Press JACKSON – Republican Phil Bryant is starting his third year as Mississippi governor, and he says he wants to make public safety the top focus of the 2014 legislative session, which begins at noon Tuesday. He wants to train more state troopers and create “strike force” groups to help […]
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON — Both Republican Gov. Phil Bryant and Democratic Attorney General Jim Hood said they believe that changes to the state’s criminal justice system need to be enacted during the 2014 session to control costs while ensuring the people who are truly dangerous to society get long prison […]
- Houlka streamlines police accounting May 18, 2016
- Rob Marion scholarship established May 22, 2016
- Commission meets, offers concerns on consolidation May 23, 2016
- Houston wins state baseball championship May 23, 2016
- CONSOLIDATION: The Commission May 23, 2016
- Pugh earns WBC Business Award May 25, 2016
- JAY HUGHES: Threats and promises from lawmakers May 24, 2016
- State of the Region meeting set for May 26 May 24, 2016
- Okolona addresses blighted property May 24, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Tourism tax and consolidation May 23, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...