HOUSTON – Positive re-enforcement and strong directions from teachers, aides and administrators have prompted positive results at Houston Upper Elementary School. Houston trustees heard a report from Houston Upper Elementary principal John Ellison Monday, Dec. 8, that the school for third-, fourth- and fifth-graders has cut it discipline referral rate in half and is working […]
Tag Archives | PACE
HOUSTON – The gifts ranged from $100 bills and Ipods to snowcones, pizza and a trip to the movies, but the real reward was a smile and the satisfaction of a job well done. Houston Upper Elementary School and the PACE Foundation presented awards to more than 350 students recently for high achievement on last […]
HOUSTON – “B, bat, buh, C, cat, cuh,” were the sounds coming from the children’s reading room at the Houston Carnegie Lilbrary recently. Tekela Spraggins was leading the youngsters through sounding out the alphabet during the opening of the EARS program at the facility. Spraggins was joined by several other teachers, active and retired, who […]
WREN – Betty Dixon McAfee, 72, died on Wednesday, Feb. 12, 2014, at North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo. Born on June 10, 1941, in Wren, she was the daughter of the late Raymond and Josie Moss Dixon. She attended Wren School and graduated from Amory High School, Class of 1960. On June 12, 1960, […]
HOUSTON — Schools get grades, too. Houston Upper Elementary School recently was recognized as a Champion of Change by the Mississippi Department of Education for going from a D to a B in state testing scores. ”This means a lot of each of us at this school,” said Linda Heair, a fifth grade teacher at […]
We are pleased the Mississippi Department of Education chose to reward Houston Upper Elementary School academic achievement. A story on Page One of this newspaper explains the Champions of Change designation and how much it should mean to Houston School District and both our city and our county. We would like to point out some […]
HOUSTON – The gifts ranged from $100 bills and Ipods to snowcones and an extra recess, but the real reward was a smile and the satisfaction of a job well done. Houston Upper Elementary School and the PACE Foundation presented awards to more than 350 students Thursday for high achievement on last year’s MCT2 (Mississippi […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – On May 1, Tom Byrne, representing the P.A.C.E. Foundation, visited Houston Upper Elementary School. He awarded cash prizes to thirty-three deserving students in grades 3 through 5 for their achievement in the Accelerated Reading Program for the second semester. The AR Program is a voluntary program that encourages […]
- Schools announce Wednesday closings February 25, 2015
- DANIEL GARDNER: God given rights February 28, 2015
- Happy Birthday Miss Zula March 1, 2015
- Lenten Luncheon continues this week March 2, 2015
- UPDATE: Four hurt, two dead in Calhoun County wreck March 2, 2015
- Ice, sleet accumulation expected tonight in region March 4, 2015
- Bats go cold in Bulldogs’ first loss March 4, 2015
- Habitat seeks potential homeowners March 4, 2015
- Mitchell Adair named Hinds 2014 graduate March 3, 2015
- Another winter storm may await March 3, 2015
- Royal Chocolate: Great to see progress in my hometown!...
- Cherry Walker: I had heard this woman's name before so I did som...
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...