HOUSTON – September 30 came and went this year and, well, like the song goes, it was just “another sleepy, dusty Delta day.” But in 1967 more than 2,000 people jammed the Square in downtown Houston to catch a glimpse of country music star Bobbie Gentry as the community honored the Chickasaw County native with […]
Tag Archives | Ode to Billie Joe
by Leslie Criss NEMS Daily Journal It was 1967, and our smal l-town Mississippi lives seemed peaceful, though we were in the midst of a war in a place called Vietnam. Our days were divided, unevenly, between learning in classrooms and playing hard during recess. At night, we watched family-friendly TV, some of us still […]
- Mr. Houston January 25, 2015
- EDITORIAL: A tough job January 29, 2015
- FLOYD INGRAM: The culture of the Super Bowl January 29, 2015
- Knight turn out lights on Houston January 29, 2015
- Trustees moving quickly January 30, 2015
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: James Meredith January 31, 2015
- Open posts in Chickasaw, Monroe draw crowd of candidates January 31, 2015
- AG arrests two for false filings January 31, 2015
- Nunnelee’s cancer no longer treatable, spokesman says January 30, 2015
- Supper in the sights January 30, 2015
- Royal Chocolate: Great to see progress in my hometown!...
- Cherry Walker: I had heard this woman's name before so I did som...
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...