HOUSTON – September 30 came and went this year and, well, like the song goes, it was just “another sleepy, dusty Delta day.” But in 1967 more than 2,000 people jammed the Square in downtown Houston to catch a glimpse of country music star Bobbie Gentry as the community honored the Chickasaw County native with […]
Tag Archives | Ode to Billie Joe
by Leslie Criss NEMS Daily Journal It was 1967, and our smal l-town Mississippi lives seemed peaceful, though we were in the midst of a war in a place called Vietnam. Our days were divided, unevenly, between learning in classrooms and playing hard during recess. At night, we watched family-friendly TV, some of us still […]
- City Clerk resumes reviewed August 18, 2014
- Color For A Cause seeks runners August 20, 2014
- School bells ring at Houlka August 14, 2014
- City changes procedures for Parks & Rec cash receipts August 18, 2014
- CDF lands Carl Small Town Center help August 19, 2014
- WEEK ONE: High school football schedules August 21, 2014
- Mobile Vet Center coming to Houston August 21, 2014
- Houston runs over Bessemer August 21, 2014
- BROWN: LETTER TO THE EDITOR August 21, 2014
- INGRAM: Paying the price at the pump August 21, 2014
- Carol Mac: I went to the Tupelo run, and I have some advice f...
- Candace R.: If that isn't nepotism, what is??? The solution ...
- Linda Huffman: Our home school policy is a joke. Some of these ch...
- Pat Southerland: It is interesting to see that Mrs. Dendy is resign...
- Michael Mcalpin: So glad to have this service back locally....