HOUSTON – September 30 came and went this year and, well, like the song goes, it was just “another sleepy, dusty Delta day.” But in 1967 more than 2,000 people jammed the Square in downtown Houston to catch a glimpse of country music star Bobbie Gentry as the community honored the Chickasaw County native with […]
Tag Archives | Ode to Billie Joe
by Leslie Criss NEMS Daily Journal It was 1967, and our smal l-town Mississippi lives seemed peaceful, though we were in the midst of a war in a place called Vietnam. Our days were divided, unevenly, between learning in classrooms and playing hard during recess. At night, we watched family-friendly TV, some of us still […]
- DANIEL GARDNER: Love and Hate July 22, 2015
- Area students earn ICC scholarships July 26, 2015
- Houlka trustees Ok demolition, infrastructure details July 27, 2015
- FLOYD INGRAM: It’s time to consider your choices July 27, 2015
- ICC offering newNational Guard program July 27, 2015
- Victoria Wofford awarded Yates Scholarship July 29, 2015
- Suspicious mailers sent before Primary Election July 29, 2015
- Houlka’s Hobson on rise July 29, 2015
- Area residents graduate ICC program July 28, 2015
- Area trio earns ICC scholarships July 28, 2015
- Jimmie Hardin: I for one cared that it was a week late. I live in...
- Daniel Drown: Great article about this timeless masterpiece that...
- Greg Schmidt: This is good news because this is one of the most ...
- Barbara Swanson: I found this amazing site to make a living online....
- Kansas and Mississippi become 8th and 9th states to allow carrying without a permit - Crime Prevention Research Center: […] The Kansas and Mississippi governors hav...