We have a new dog at our house. She was found at First Baptist Church Sunday morning. She’s a husky/Irish setter/spaniel/collie/German shepherd/pitbull/terrier/golden retriever mix according to the canine experts at FBC. She looks like a long-haired, yellow dog to me. I’m used to turning down the boys’ request for pets. Tarantulas, iguanas, birds, white mice, […]
Tag Archives | newspaper
Don’t tell anyone, but I think I saw a hint of spring last weekend. Shhh, maybe if we all stay really quiet we won’t scare it away. Let’s face it, we’ve had a long, cold, dreary winter and I, for one, am ready for it to be over. I know the calendar is turning over […]
I thank each of you who have asked about my health recently. While visiting with a man I know quite well, he startled me when he said, “In only a few years, newspapers will be no more.” Almost in the same breath he said, “In only a few years, there will be no Post Office […]
Once again the merits of doing public business in public has been put to the test. And those living in the Houston School District have gotten an “A.” The Houston School District Board of Trustees dismissed their attorney’s earlier this month after they were made aware of some type of alleged conflict of interest involving […]
The gowns, masks, surgical instruments and newspaper clippings about the old Houston Hospital on display at the Chickasaw County Museum will come down at the end of January. The exhibit was created for the opening of the Museum at 304 Woodland Circle in Joe Brigance Park in September and was an immediate hit. The artifacts […]
By George A. McLean The good newspaper should be a catalyst in its community, oiling the efforts of widely varying groups to achieve a reasonably smooth, balanced flow of progress. It seeks to provide coherence to scattered and sometimes conflicting objectives, enabling its community to get a better view of priorities and ways in which […]
I’ve been around the newspaper business for about 43 of my 53 years, having started out in this profession throwing papers at the tender age of ten in West Point. Delivering newspapers every afternoon five days a week and then trying to collect for your services on weekends will teach you a lot about business […]
Effective Friday, Nov. 15, a full-priced subscription to the Chickasaw Journal will allow unlimited, free access to the Chickasaw Journal’s website, chickasawjournal.com. Non-subscribers will be asked to pay for frequent use of the Chickasaw Journal’s digital products, and for the first time there will be a digital-only subscription offered. Asking readers to pay for digital […]
The Chickasaw Journal offices and all city, county, state and federal offices will be closed Monday in observance of Labor Day. Houston, Okolona and Chickasaw County schools will also be closed. The closing of the Chickasaw Journal offices has prompted us to move our deadlines for news and advertising up 24 hours. All Calendar of […]
BILOXI – Recognition for a job well done is always appreciated and the staff of the Chickasaw Journal received eight nods for work produced during 2012 at the Mississippi Press Association’s Better Newspapers Contest this past June in Biloxi. MPA sponsors the contest in which newspaper staffs enter their best works for the previous calendar […]
The Christmas holidays have pushed the delivery date for this week’s Chickasaw Journal from Wednesday to Thursday. The newspaper was printed a day late to allow production crews to spend Christmas Day with their families and the staff and employees of the Chickasaw Journal appreciate your patience. If you do not have a newspaper in […]
- Garner selected as State Champ March 1, 2014
- Lady Rams open season March 6, 2014
- Voter ID available at Clerk’s office March 6, 2014
- EDITORIAL: School Consolidation March 6, 2014
- Claude Johnson March 6, 2014
- WINTER JAM: Christian music festival sells out at BancorpSouth Arena March 7, 2014
- Reading is learning March 7, 2014
- All runs come to an end March 7, 2014
- Senior night March 7, 2014
- Claude Johnson March 7, 2014
- Marathon set for Tanglefoot Trail | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Trail opening was top story for 2013 [...
- Tickets issued for dogs in Okolona | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Robertson speaks to Okolona Aldermen [...
- DOCKET: Circuit Court in Okolona | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Circuit Court verdicts imposed in Okolon...
- WEDDING: Earnest/Morgan | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] E.J. Earnest […]...
- 60th ANNIVERSARY: Rad & Betty Clark | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Ralph Coggins […]...