HOUSTON – The crowd was smaller but the need is greater. The number who showed up on the Courthouse Square for Thursday’s National Day of Prayer was below last year’s count, but the community still prayed for recent storm victims, the country and those suffering sickness and hard times. ”Houston dodged this last storm but […]
Tag Archives | National
HOUSTON – Prayer changes things. The Greater Houston Ministerial Alliance will host the National Day of Prayer on The Square at noon Thursday and is inviting the community to come and pray for their town, state and nation. “We will start just a few minutes after noon and will finish up a before 1 p.m.” […]
The National Day of Prayer will be observed May 1 in Houston at noon on the east side of the Courthouse Square. The public is invited to participate in this time of prayer for our nation and leaders. The 2014 Theme is ONE VOICE, UNITED IN PRAYER which is based on Romans 15:6: “So that […]
JACKSON – Residents and passersby may see some smoke in the air beginning this month when the U.S. Forest Service starts its prescribed fire season to prevent wildfires and promote a healthy forest for plants and animals. Prescribed fire, also known as controlled burning, refers to the controlled use of fire by a team of […]
TUPELO – After days of on-again, off-again forecasts of snow and ice in Northeast Mississippi, the National Weather Service in Memphis on Wednesday afternoon canceled the region’s winter storm warning but extended a downgraded statement for several hours. Light snow was reported during daylight hours Wednesday in places as disparate as Oxford, Itawamba County and […]
By Cody Voyles, Hometown Correspondent MOUNT HOPE, W. Va. – As a local Scout, I will no doubt share the memories of my experience at National Jamboree at the Summit Bechtel Reserve with my kids and grandkids. This camp has been the best place a Scout can be. From the high adventure activities to […]
Solar car team racing for 13th consecutive national title. By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – They head to Texas and will race to California with plans to bring home their 13th national title in the Solar Car Challenge. The Houston Solar Race Team travels to Fort Worth this week to […]
HOUSTON – The Houston Solar Race team is busy getting ready for the upcoming Winston Solar Challenge, a road race from Round Rock, Texas, to Los Angeles, Calif., in July and they have a few boxes left to mark off on their list. The team, comprised of nine students and graduates of Houston High School, […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal OKOLONA – The National Organizations for Youth Safety (NOYS) hosts Global Youth Traffic Safety Month each May during prom, graduation and the beginning of the summer driving season to engage and empower youth to lead traffic safety efforts in their communities. This organization has put together the best practices for […]
OKOLONA – Okolona Superintendent Dexter Green was formally welcomed to town Sunday with a reception for the new head of Okolona schools and his family. Green, who has only been the city’s top educator for 32 days, said Okolona already feels like home and he has already made friends that he calls family. “As […]
CAIRO – Johnnie Gates Newsum, 65, died Monday, April 8, 2013, at St. Francis Hospital in Memphis. He was a member of Cairo Baptist Church. He was retired from Piper Impact and the Mississippi National Guard. He was a security guard at Baptist Memorial Hospital in New Albany. He enjoyed hunting and fishing. Services will […]
HOUSTON – Local 4-H members recently competed at the 2013 Dixie National Junior Round-Up livestock earning a number of ribbons and one taking home a college scholarship. Nicole Abrams was awarded the Dixie National Sale of Champions Scholarship by Gov. Phil Bryant and Commissioner of Agriculture and Commerce Cindy Hyde-Smith at the nationally known event […]
- COPES: Super Moms honored May 20, 2015
- Houston tourism tax vote set for Aug. 11 May 18, 2015
- Cook comes home to Houston May 21, 2015
- East Webster pitching halts Taylorsville May 21, 2015
- GAME ONE: Toppers fall hard in late innings May 21, 2015
- Houlka Homecoming 2015 is this weekend May 22, 2015
- Houston aldermen discuss Park & Recreation funds May 22, 2015
- East Webster toppled by inside-the-park HR in Game Two May 21, 2015
- Okolona graduates urged to excel May 21, 2015
- Police seek Dollar General bandit May 21, 2015
- Barbara Swanson: I found this amazing site to make a living online....
- Kansas and Mississippi become 8th and 9th states to allow carrying without a permit - Crime Prevention Research Center: […] The Kansas and Mississippi governors hav...
- Tg007.net: if you want the town to grow stop taxing the busin...
- i’m engaged, you can be too | architecture | equality: […] the design and related impacts of a new...
- Royal Chocolate: Great to see progress in my hometown!...