OKOLONA – They are sending in Mississippi boys to tidy up Afghanistan as the draw-down in the war there wraps up in 2014. The 858th Engineering Company/Horizontal, with a depot and armory in Okolona and headquartered in Calhoun City, will leave for final training at Camp Shelby around the first of August as they prepare […]
Tag Archives | National Guard
BRUCE – William David Bray, 75, died Wednesday, July 24, 2013, at his home. He was born Aug. 30, 1937, in Pontotoc. He served in the National Guard. He was a retired plant superintendent from Bruce Telephone Company with 35 years of service. He was an active member and deacon of Lighthouse Baptist Church. Services […]
OXFORD – Judge Edwin H. Roberts Jr., 65, died on Monday, July 1, 2013, at his home in Lafayette County. He practiced law in Lafayette County for 30 years. He served as Lafayette County prosecutor and was elected as Chancery Court judge for the 18th Chancery Court District of Mississippi in 2002. He served 32 years […]
HATTIESBURG – The Army National Guard has to be ready at a moment’s notice to handle emergency situations of various types and annual training is one way they keep their skills honed. The 288th Sapper Company, based in Houston, just completed a two-week training session at Camp Shelby in Hattiesburg and Capt. Seth Davidson said […]
NETTLETON – Jamie L. Westmoreland, 24, passed away Friday, June 7, 2013, at his residence. He was born Dec. 4, 1988, to Johnny and JoAnn Lynn Westmoreland in Tupelo. He was a Baptist in belief. He honorably served his country with the National Guard for six years. He enjoyed hunting, fishing, disc golf, canoeing, being […]
HOUSTON – Josh Voyles of Houston made a life-changing choice when he dropped out of high school. He gave up the opportunity to graduate and pursue a higher education, but he got another chance through the C.O.P.E.S and National Guard Youth ChalleNGe programs. After his junior year at Houston High School, Voyles made the decision […]
- TEE IT UP: Week 1 High School Football Capsules August 21, 2015
- Season of new beginnings August 24, 2015
- Monroe County deputy shot following traffic stop August 24, 2015
- Sweet potato field day will be held Aug. 27 August 25, 2015
- MSU professor to lead national beef organization August 25, 2015
- MSU student threats lead to lockdown, arrest August 28, 2015
- Two solar farms sprout in Chickasaw County August 28, 2015
- Potential + Effort = Success August 26, 2015
- Reward offered in Monroe County deputy shooting case August 26, 2015
- ICC names 2015 Spring graduates August 26, 2015
- Randy Wanat: Change "Christianity" to "Islam" and suddenly ...
- TRSmith: What happens to students who reside in the distric...
- Beth: The only way to protect ourselves and our benefits...
- Jimmie Hardin: I for one cared that it was a week late. I live in...
- Daniel Drown: Great article about this timeless masterpiece that...