CALHOUN CITY – While many troops are returning home and the number of American soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan decrease, the The Mississippi National Guard’s 858th Horizontal Construction Company is preparing for what many hope will be their last deployment to Afghanistan. The company was the first engineering company deployed to Iraq in 2003 and […]
Tag Archives | National Guard
OKOLONA – They are sending in Mississippi boys to tidy up Afghanistan as the draw-down in the war there wraps up in 2014. The 858th Engineering Company/Horizontal, with a depot and armory in Okolona and headquartered in Calhoun City, will leave for final training at Camp Shelby around the first of August as they prepare […]
BRUCE – William David Bray, 75, died Wednesday, July 24, 2013, at his home. He was born Aug. 30, 1937, in Pontotoc. He served in the National Guard. He was a retired plant superintendent from Bruce Telephone Company with 35 years of service. He was an active member and deacon of Lighthouse Baptist Church. Services […]
OXFORD – Judge Edwin H. Roberts Jr., 65, died on Monday, July 1, 2013, at his home in Lafayette County. He practiced law in Lafayette County for 30 years. He served as Lafayette County prosecutor and was elected as Chancery Court judge for the 18th Chancery Court District of Mississippi in 2002. He served 32 years […]
HATTIESBURG – The Army National Guard has to be ready at a moment’s notice to handle emergency situations of various types and annual training is one way they keep their skills honed. The 288th Sapper Company, based in Houston, just completed a two-week training session at Camp Shelby in Hattiesburg and Capt. Seth Davidson said […]
NETTLETON – Jamie L. Westmoreland, 24, passed away Friday, June 7, 2013, at his residence. He was born Dec. 4, 1988, to Johnny and JoAnn Lynn Westmoreland in Tupelo. He was a Baptist in belief. He honorably served his country with the National Guard for six years. He enjoyed hunting, fishing, disc golf, canoeing, being […]
HOUSTON – Josh Voyles of Houston made a life-changing choice when he dropped out of high school. He gave up the opportunity to graduate and pursue a higher education, but he got another chance through the C.O.P.E.S and National Guard Youth ChalleNGe programs. After his junior year at Houston High School, Voyles made the decision […]
- Hamby recognized for driving safety April 27, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- Mississippi black bears are on the move May 3, 2016
- DAN MULLEN: ‘No intention of ever leaving’ May 3, 2016
- Vardaman sweeps Biggersville May 3, 2016
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings May 3, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...