HOUSTON – The winners of state and regional 4-H poultry programs can easily pull down a couple of hundred dollars at the sale – and that ain’t chicken feed for any teenager. Chickasaw County saw 266 chicks delivered to nine kids this summer with youngsters now embarked on the task of getting the best flock […]
Tag Archives | MSU Extension
HOUSTON – Teaching kids to read is a critical skill in school and teaching kids to read early helps kids excel in school. The Houston Carnegie Library is kicking off EARS (Educational Awareness Resource Service) this week, a new program aimed at under-privileged kids but open to all children entering kindergarten or who completed kindergarten […]
CHICKASAW COUNTY – It is supposed to rain in Mississippi in the springtime and wet fields are not yet a concern for farmers looking to get seed in the ground this season. Good crops last fall has prompted most commodities prices to drop this year, but as all farmers know, that will change before harvest. […]
CHICKASAW COUNTY – During the holiday season, many tables are plentiful with food, family and fellowship but others in Chickasaw County can use extra help in providing meals. Several volunteer groups and non-profit agencies are sponsoring food drives throughout Novemember and December in an effort to assist the less fortunate with holiday cheer. Okolona food […]
CHICKASAW COUNTY – Farmers planted late and harvested late, but the crop looks good for most commodities this fall. A late spring delayed planting for just about all crops this year, but a moderate summer without too much rain or heat, allowed fruit to fill out and most fields are sporting good yields in soybeans, […]
HOUSTON – Residents at Floy Dyer Manor Extended Care in Houston will have a new piece of artwork to enjoy. A painting of an angel is now hanging in the entryway thanks to a partnership between John and Peggy Walden and Candace Stephenson. Stephenson created the artwork at the T.K. Martin Center for Technology at […]
HOUSTON – Ashley Bass is confined to a wheel chair, but her art knows no bounds. “My art allows me to express myself,” said said Bass. “A lot of people like my art and I can’t tell you how important that is when they look at one of my paintings, smile and tell me […]
CHICKASAW COUNTY – It is October, but a half-dozen local agencies got an early Christmas present with the Mississippi State Extension Service donating more than $100,000 in used computers to the county. The donation is part of an upgrade of the Extension Service’s computers across the region and state and Chickasaw County Extension Agent Scott […]
HOUSTON – Most people have a vegetable garden each summer, but doing it on a commercial scale and making money at it takes special skills and a lot of sweat equity. Doil Moore and James Earnest tend to roughly 25-acres south of Houston and pull tomatoes, onions, peppers, okra, cucumbers, squash, beans, potatoes and peas […]
- Parents can be fined for truancy July 30, 2014
- Houlka Attendance Center engulfed by fire (w/video) July 30, 2014
- Mississippi’s best and brightest July 31, 2014
- EDITORIAL: Fourteen in a row! July 31, 2014
- FLOYD INGRAM: What I like about Houston July 31, 2014
- Magnolia Fest blooms in Okolona August 1, 2014
- Fall Fun Day seeks volunteers August 1, 2014
- County seeks bids August 1, 2014
- Crime Roundup July 31, 2014
- Lonnie Whitt remembered as man who served. July 31, 2014
- Linda Huffman: Our home school policy is a joke. Some of these ch...
- Pat Southerland: It is interesting to see that Mrs. Dendy is resign...
- Michael Mcalpin: So glad to have this service back locally....
- Pat Burgess: Congratulations to Jim for the award and for all t...
- Chip Ingram: My son Daniel was given a Bobbie Gentry album by ...