The Memorial Day ceremony held on Monday, May 26, was a wonderful opportunity to pay tribute to those who sacrificed so much for all of us. It was good to see so many people take the time to attend this year. Thanks to everyone who was there. Memorial Day is accompanied by the appearance of […]
Tag Archives | Memorial Day
HOUSTON – Major Danny Blanton told of that fateful day in July 2005 when he performed CPR on a Marine sergeant fatally wounded when a bomb exploded under the vehicle that sergeant was riding in on a road in Anbar Province Iraq. Blanton also told of the son of that sergeant who turned down an […]
We have just enjoyed Memorial Day Week-end. I hope it was more that just a holiday for us. I regret I did not do this column before Memorial Day but I believe it has something to say to all of us about honoring our military people. An anonymous email tells a story we need to […]
I hung an American Flag up at my house Monday. It will stay up 24-hours a day, seven-days a week. Yes, I was a Boy Scout. And, yes I know flags are to be taken down at dusk and raised every morning at dawn – unless artificially lighted at night. I once pointed out this […]
By JB Clark and Floyd Ingram Special to the Chickasaw Journal OKOLONA – A warehouse fire Monday night will put a small damper on production at one of United Furniture’s Okolona locations this week. Around 4 p.m. Monday, firefighters responded to the Warren Street location after an employee found what seemed to be a small […]
The Chickasaw Journal will be closed Monday in observance of Memorial Day. This will prompt the newspaper to move advertising and news deadlines up 24-hours this week. The deadline for scheduling an advertisement or classified in the Wednesday, May 28 Chickasaw Journal is 3 p.m. Thursday. The editorial deadline for community events is also 3 […]
HOUSTON – Anyone who has ever put one on celebrates Memorial Day a little different from everybody else. Paul Olenski, a U.S. Marine, Vietnam veteran and Silver Star recipient has donated his uniform to the Chickasaw County Heritage Museum and his gift will be formally recognized at Houston’s annual Memorial Day service Monday. The community […]
HOUSTON – Pat Jones knew Mike Wall, as did many in this close-knit community in the spring of 1970. Wall was a lieutenant in the U.S. Air Force when was shot down in Vietnam piloting an intelligence gathering EC-47 and died in the crash. Jones, who also flew in the 1970′s and currently flies for […]
I turned the corner Friday morning on the way to work and spotted the Flags on the Courthouse Square. Just a moment watching dozens of grand ole red-white-and-blue slowly move in the morning breeze made my day. I hope there were others who drove by and were also filled with pride and appreciation for […]
- City Clerk resumes reviewed August 18, 2014
- Color For A Cause seeks runners August 20, 2014
- City, CDF discuss Tanglefoot trailhead August 15, 2014
- Aldermen discuss street worker pay August 19, 2014
- Sweet potato field day planned for Aug. 20 August 19, 2014
- WEEK ONE: High school football schedules August 21, 2014
- Mobile Vet Center coming to Houston August 21, 2014
- Houston runs over Bessemer August 21, 2014
- BROWN: LETTER TO THE EDITOR August 21, 2014
- INGRAM: Paying the price at the pump August 21, 2014
- Carol Mac: I went to the Tupelo run, and I have some advice f...
- Candace R.: If that isn't nepotism, what is??? The solution ...
- Linda Huffman: Our home school policy is a joke. Some of these ch...
- Pat Southerland: It is interesting to see that Mrs. Dendy is resign...
- Michael Mcalpin: So glad to have this service back locally....