The Memorial Day ceremony held on Monday, May 26, was a wonderful opportunity to pay tribute to those who sacrificed so much for all of us. It was good to see so many people take the time to attend this year. Thanks to everyone who was there. Memorial Day is accompanied by the appearance of […]
Tag Archives | Memorial Day
HOUSTON – Major Danny Blanton told of that fateful day in July 2005 when he performed CPR on a Marine sergeant fatally wounded when a bomb exploded under the vehicle that sergeant was riding in on a road in Anbar Province Iraq. Blanton also told of the son of that sergeant who turned down an […]
We have just enjoyed Memorial Day Week-end. I hope it was more that just a holiday for us. I regret I did not do this column before Memorial Day but I believe it has something to say to all of us about honoring our military people. An anonymous email tells a story we need to […]
I hung an American Flag up at my house Monday. It will stay up 24-hours a day, seven-days a week. Yes, I was a Boy Scout. And, yes I know flags are to be taken down at dusk and raised every morning at dawn – unless artificially lighted at night. I once pointed out this […]
By JB Clark and Floyd Ingram Special to the Chickasaw Journal OKOLONA – A warehouse fire Monday night will put a small damper on production at one of United Furniture’s Okolona locations this week. Around 4 p.m. Monday, firefighters responded to the Warren Street location after an employee found what seemed to be a small […]
The Chickasaw Journal will be closed Monday in observance of Memorial Day. This will prompt the newspaper to move advertising and news deadlines up 24-hours this week. The deadline for scheduling an advertisement or classified in the Wednesday, May 28 Chickasaw Journal is 3 p.m. Thursday. The editorial deadline for community events is also 3 […]
HOUSTON – Anyone who has ever put one on celebrates Memorial Day a little different from everybody else. Paul Olenski, a U.S. Marine, Vietnam veteran and Silver Star recipient has donated his uniform to the Chickasaw County Heritage Museum and his gift will be formally recognized at Houston’s annual Memorial Day service Monday. The community […]
HOUSTON – Pat Jones knew Mike Wall, as did many in this close-knit community in the spring of 1970. Wall was a lieutenant in the U.S. Air Force when was shot down in Vietnam piloting an intelligence gathering EC-47 and died in the crash. Jones, who also flew in the 1970’s and currently flies for […]
I turned the corner Friday morning on the way to work and spotted the Flags on the Courthouse Square. Just a moment watching dozens of grand ole red-white-and-blue slowly move in the morning breeze made my day. I hope there were others who drove by and were also filled with pride and appreciation for […]
- Houlka Community Thanksgiving is Nov. 22 November 19, 2014
- BILLY McCORD: As I see it November 23, 2014
- A golfer’s tale November 23, 2014
- Houston ready for tipoff and tournament November 23, 2014
- Chieftains to stand tall on court November 24, 2014
- Come in from the cold November 26, 2014
- Mississippi producing big bucks November 25, 2014
- CHICKASAW COUNTY: Luther wins Circuit Judge, Pettit wins Houston trustee November 25, 2014
- Houlka ready for another run this season November 25, 2014
- Bells will be ringing November 25, 2014
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...
- Sad for Our Kids: Bravo! You've done your job as an advocate for a...
- Tammy Pettit: I get that you and I know several others are upset...