Dear Editor, The Pilot Club, VFW, and American Legion wish to thank all of the people who attended and helped with the Memorial Day Ceremony. So many individuals and groups contributed to this event. Thanks to Bobby Sanderson and Sandy Garner for the music, to Mary Beth Dendy of the Houlka-Houston Mississippi Homemaker Volunteers for […]
Tag Archives | Memorial Day
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Memorial Day will be a little more solemn this year as organizers move the annual event to the morning when things are a little quieter. Memorial Day ceremonies in Houston will be held at 10 a.m. Monday on the east side of the Chickasaw County Courthouse where […]
The Memorial Day ceremony held on Monday, May 26, was a wonderful opportunity to pay tribute to those who sacrificed so much for all of us. It was good to see so many people take the time to attend this year. Thanks to everyone who was there. Memorial Day is accompanied by the appearance of […]
HOUSTON – Major Danny Blanton told of that fateful day in July 2005 when he performed CPR on a Marine sergeant fatally wounded when a bomb exploded under the vehicle that sergeant was riding in on a road in Anbar Province Iraq. Blanton also told of the son of that sergeant who turned down an […]
We have just enjoyed Memorial Day Week-end. I hope it was more that just a holiday for us. I regret I did not do this column before Memorial Day but I believe it has something to say to all of us about honoring our military people. An anonymous email tells a story we need to […]
I hung an American Flag up at my house Monday. It will stay up 24-hours a day, seven-days a week. Yes, I was a Boy Scout. And, yes I know flags are to be taken down at dusk and raised every morning at dawn – unless artificially lighted at night. I once pointed out this […]
By JB Clark and Floyd Ingram Special to the Chickasaw Journal OKOLONA – A warehouse fire Monday night will put a small damper on production at one of United Furniture’s Okolona locations this week. Around 4 p.m. Monday, firefighters responded to the Warren Street location after an employee found what seemed to be a small […]
The Chickasaw Journal will be closed Monday in observance of Memorial Day. This will prompt the newspaper to move advertising and news deadlines up 24-hours this week. The deadline for scheduling an advertisement or classified in the Wednesday, May 28 Chickasaw Journal is 3 p.m. Thursday. The editorial deadline for community events is also 3 […]
HOUSTON – Anyone who has ever put one on celebrates Memorial Day a little different from everybody else. Paul Olenski, a U.S. Marine, Vietnam veteran and Silver Star recipient has donated his uniform to the Chickasaw County Heritage Museum and his gift will be formally recognized at Houston’s annual Memorial Day service Monday. The community […]
HOUSTON – Pat Jones knew Mike Wall, as did many in this close-knit community in the spring of 1970. Wall was a lieutenant in the U.S. Air Force when was shot down in Vietnam piloting an intelligence gathering EC-47 and died in the crash. Jones, who also flew in the 1970’s and currently flies for […]
I turned the corner Friday morning on the way to work and spotted the Flags on the Courthouse Square. Just a moment watching dozens of grand ole red-white-and-blue slowly move in the morning breeze made my day. I hope there were others who drove by and were also filled with pride and appreciation for […]
- Houlka eyes old fines as revenue July 24, 2015
- Fusion Furniture expanding in Ecru July 28, 2015
- Area trio earns ICC scholarships July 28, 2015
- Area residents graduate ICC program July 28, 2015
- Houlka’s Hobson on rise July 29, 2015
- Ole Miss begins season No. 15 in coaches poll July 30, 2015
- Woman charged with trying to sell her baby July 30, 2015
- Run right! Go long! July 30, 2015
- County will keep inmates for free July 30, 2015
- EDITORIAL: Who deserves your vote? July 30, 2015
- Jimmie Hardin: I for one cared that it was a week late. I live in...
- Daniel Drown: Great article about this timeless masterpiece that...
- Greg Schmidt: This is good news because this is one of the most ...
- Barbara Swanson: I found this amazing site to make a living online....
- Kansas and Mississippi become 8th and 9th states to allow carrying without a permit - Crime Prevention Research Center: […] The Kansas and Mississippi governors hav...