The Memorial Day ceremony held on Monday, May 26, was a wonderful opportunity to pay tribute to those who sacrificed so much for all of us. It was good to see so many people take the time to attend this year. Thanks to everyone who was there. Memorial Day is accompanied by the appearance of […]
Tag Archives | Memorial Day
HOUSTON – Major Danny Blanton told of that fateful day in July 2005 when he performed CPR on a Marine sergeant fatally wounded when a bomb exploded under the vehicle that sergeant was riding in on a road in Anbar Province Iraq. Blanton also told of the son of that sergeant who turned down an […]
We have just enjoyed Memorial Day Week-end. I hope it was more that just a holiday for us. I regret I did not do this column before Memorial Day but I believe it has something to say to all of us about honoring our military people. An anonymous email tells a story we need to […]
I hung an American Flag up at my house Monday. It will stay up 24-hours a day, seven-days a week. Yes, I was a Boy Scout. And, yes I know flags are to be taken down at dusk and raised every morning at dawn – unless artificially lighted at night. I once pointed out this […]
By JB Clark and Floyd Ingram Special to the Chickasaw Journal OKOLONA – A warehouse fire Monday night will put a small damper on production at one of United Furniture’s Okolona locations this week. Around 4 p.m. Monday, firefighters responded to the Warren Street location after an employee found what seemed to be a small […]
The Chickasaw Journal will be closed Monday in observance of Memorial Day. This will prompt the newspaper to move advertising and news deadlines up 24-hours this week. The deadline for scheduling an advertisement or classified in the Wednesday, May 28 Chickasaw Journal is 3 p.m. Thursday. The editorial deadline for community events is also 3 […]
HOUSTON – Anyone who has ever put one on celebrates Memorial Day a little different from everybody else. Paul Olenski, a U.S. Marine, Vietnam veteran and Silver Star recipient has donated his uniform to the Chickasaw County Heritage Museum and his gift will be formally recognized at Houston’s annual Memorial Day service Monday. The community […]
HOUSTON – Pat Jones knew Mike Wall, as did many in this close-knit community in the spring of 1970. Wall was a lieutenant in the U.S. Air Force when was shot down in Vietnam piloting an intelligence gathering EC-47 and died in the crash. Jones, who also flew in the 1970′s and currently flies for […]
I turned the corner Friday morning on the way to work and spotted the Flags on the Courthouse Square. Just a moment watching dozens of grand ole red-white-and-blue slowly move in the morning breeze made my day. I hope there were others who drove by and were also filled with pride and appreciation for […]
- Some say it’s hot July 17, 2014
- Letter RAY GARRETT July 20, 2014
- Houston FFA places at State Contest Day July 20, 2014
- City seeks infrastructure funding July 21, 2014
- Staten meets with city, county July 21, 2014
- Foard receives 2014 DEKALB award July 23, 2014
- District eye suit to fund MAEP July 23, 2014
- Houston Solar Race team out in front July 23, 2014
- Natchez Trace has $139M impact July 22, 2014
- Houston man arrested for rustling July 22, 2014
- Pat Southerland: It is interesting to see that Mrs. Dendy is resign...
- Michael Mcalpin: So glad to have this service back locally....
- Pat Burgess: Congratulations to Jim for the award and for all t...
- Chip Ingram: My son Daniel was given a Bobbie Gentry album by ...
- Pam Dendy: I have that first album. My Daddy bought it for me...