There are a lot of complaints from parents about the Common Core State Standards, or CCSS, for short. Interestingly, many of the complaints are about the elementary school math. The CCSS is basically the list of what understandings students are to have by the end of the given grade level. The controversy mostly surrounds the […]
Tag Archives | Math
The Common Core State Standards are still the focus of debate of many politicians. Some argue that it is federal government interfering in state education. For the most part those allegations lost traction at the state level through failed court battles. But contention remains within both political parties. Although it seems that it is predominantly […]
EUPORA – Children of America and Youth Fest held summer camp June 26-29 at Kamp Kumbaya in Eupora where the campers had a chance to enjoy many educational and fun activities. There were a total of 40 campers and 15 staff members. Campers participated in a reading contest, math contest, Spanish challenge, arts and crafts, […]
HOUSTON – St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital in Memphis, Tenn., touches lives of children all around the world and some local children did their part to help this spring. The St. Jude Math-a-Thon is an annual event at Houston Lower Elementary School and had more participants than ever this year. “We had 87 kids,” said […]
HOUSTON – Michael and Larry Newman planned and worked hard to get their GED The General Educational Development) test is a group of four subject tests which, when passed, certify that the test taker has high school-level academic skills. “Nothing is hard if you are ready for it,” said Michael, 22, who currently works at […]
HOUSTON – Teachers get homework, too. Teachers at Houston schools were in the classroom recently gearing up for the implementation of Common Core into the district’s curriculum and while the big changes will be seen by teachers, students and parents will see changes, too. “Going to block scheduling for reading and writing at the Middle […]
- Houston investigates racial slur October 24, 2014
- McClain earns Sonic’s Hall of Fame award October 28, 2014
- DAR: Patriotism, God and country October 28, 2014
- Sweater drive underway October 29, 2014
- Number 1 October 29, 2014
- BOO Bash October 31, 2014
- Sweet Potato Festival set for Saturday October 31, 2014
- Wildcats fall to Biggersville October 30, 2014
- Houston eyes playoffs October 30, 2014
- FLOYD INGRAM: Houston isn’t a bad place to live October 30, 2014
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...
- Sad for Our Kids: Bravo! You've done your job as an advocate for a...
- Tammy Pettit: I get that you and I know several others are upset...
- Lolette: Well since most people work during the week dont y...