By William Moore Daily Journal District 18 Chancery Court voters will have plenty of options when the Nov. 4 general election comes around with five candidates seeking two judge positions. Three female challengers hope to unseat male incumbents Glenn Alderson, Place 1, and Robert Whitwell, Place 2. District 18 covers Benton, Calhoun, Lafayette, Marshall and […]
Tag Archives | Marshall
HOUSTON – Austin Marshall has always planned to live life to the fullest and now he has a little help. Marshall, a Houston native and senior at Mississippi State University, was raised as a normal child but his blindness presented challenges as he moved about this world. “My parents raised me as a sighted child […]
BIG CREEK – John Allen Hughes, 79, died Tuesday, April 22, 2014, at Calhoun Health Services in Calhoun City. He was born Sept. 6, 1934, in Calhoun City to John Hughes and Beatrice Blackwelder Hughes. He was a machinist for Harrelson Manufacturing for 50 years. He was a member of Baileyville Baptist Church.He is survived […]
GRENADA – Margaret Olivea Baker Simmons, 81, died Saturday, Feb. 22, 2014, at her home. She was born March 12, 1932, and was the daughter of William Baker and Elsie Mae Nichols Baker of Calhoun City. She was a loving mother, wife and sister; homemaker; and a member of Hebron Baptist Church in Grenada. Services […]
CALHOUN CITY – Mavis Nell Hood Orr, 79, died Tuesday, Jan. 21, 2014, at Calhoun Health Services Nursing Home in Calhoun City. She was born June 4, 1934, in Webster County. She was a seamstress, a lifelong animal guardian and a member of Southern Grace Baptist Church in Calhoun City. Services will be at 11 […]
ABERDEEN – Tonya Leigh Howell, 44, died Sunday, Oct. 6, 2013, at Baptist Memorial Hospital in Columbus. She was born May 20, 1969, in Aberdeen. She was a lifelong resident of Aberdeen and was employed at United Furniture. Services will be at 11 a.m. Wednesday, Oct. 9, in the Tisdale-Lann Memorial Chapel in Aberdeen with […]
By JB Clark NEMS Daily Journal TUPELO – Trooper Matthew Hood of the Mississippi Highway Patrol read a list of names of fallen Mississippi officers at Thursday’s memorial service and paused halfway, “My father, Master Sgt. Steve Hood.” Hood is now a member of Highway Patrol Troop G in Starkville, the troop his father […]
- Fewer snowflakes this Christmas November 17, 2014
- Volunteers need to answer the call November 20, 2014
- Listening to those who served November 21, 2014
- Helping Hands of Houlka November 21, 2014
- Hunting is part of my heritage November 21, 2014
- Houston ready for tipoff and tournament November 23, 2014
- A golfer’s tale November 23, 2014
- BILLY McCORD: As I see it November 23, 2014
- Brand, Wright honored by ICC November 22, 2014
- Mississippi jobless rate at 7.6 percent in October November 22, 2014
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...
- Sad for Our Kids: Bravo! You've done your job as an advocate for a...
- Tammy Pettit: I get that you and I know several others are upset...