There’s just no way around it. Sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse, but they don’t ever stay the same. About ten years ago, I had a house full of kids a lot of the time. My son and my three nephews all traveled together in a pack, much like wolf pups. Depending on […]
Tag Archives | Lisa Voyles
My son asked me about Santa Claus the other day. Now, at 14, he made up his mind about the existence of big man several years ago, but any time he or the nephews ask me, I always tell them I believe. This time he really tried to pin me down. “Do you really think […]
The Chickasaw Development Foundation, along with area businesses and organized groups, are partnering to bring the children and youth of Houston a “bootiful” night of fun on the Square Oct. 31. Local merchants, business owners and members of Houston First United Methodist Church will be offering candy and treats and children are encouraged to enter […]
During my tenure here at the Chickasaw Journal, I’ve had the opportunity to meet some interesting people and attend some really cool events. I’ve even said, more than once, “That was the coolest thing I’ve ever seen.” But this time – it really is. Last week, students from Houston, Houlka and Okolona carried a cross […]
The summer home improvement project is complete! Ok, so that’s a tiny little fib. It’s not quite complete but it’s close enough to count and mark off the list. Our summer project was to paint the outside of our house, facia board, wood trim, shutters and doors. We started this right after school was out […]
OKOLONA – The mission of the National Council of Negro Women, Okolona Chapter is to lead, develop and advocate for families and youth of the community and the women in the civic group take their role seriously. The group hosts a multitude of educational and character-building programs in and around Okolona, forming partnerships with other […]
HOUSTON – The staff and administration of Houston Middle School issued a challenge last school term and their students rose to the challenge. The goal for the school was to raise their QDI ranking to 200 and, while school rankings have not yet been released, individual student efforts on the MCT2 tests and eighth-grade science […]
Everyone travels during the summer, some more and further than others. And we’ve all had travelers on our prayer lists for youth trips and missions and things such as that. I was taking things pretty well in stride until it hit too close to home. My nephew, Charlie Hopson, joined three other youth and three […]
BILOXI – Recognition for a job well done is always appreciated and the staff of the Chickasaw Journal received eight nods for work produced during 2012 at the Mississippi Press Association’s Better Newspapers Contest this past June in Biloxi. MPA sponsors the contest in which newspaper staffs enter their best works for the previous calendar […]
HOULKA – Students at Houlka Attendance Center ran, jumped and played all in the name of good health and good fun May 20 as the staff hosted Olympic Day again this year. The annual field day in May has been revamped to include more than just games and helps children become more active on the […]
HOUSTON – A potential partnership is in the beginning stages for the repair of County Line Road in Okolona following the Jan. 22 meeting of the Chickasaw County Board of Supervisors. The road is under the jurisdiction of both Monroe and Chickasaw counties and Monroe County Supervisor Robert Tomey approached the Chickasaw board with a […]
- High school state test scores released November 18, 2015
- WEEK 14: High School Football Capsules November 20, 2015
- Topper hoopers fall to Bulldogs November 20, 2015
- Judgment and experience November 21, 2015
- Welcome home! November 22, 2015
- MSU Alumni Association announces 2015-16 student delegates, officers November 25, 2015
- Okolona urges parents to keep kids in school November 24, 2015
- Parents reminded that school attendance is mandatory November 24, 2015
- Houlka Trustees address leave, texting policy November 23, 2015
- WEDDING: Rushing / King November 22, 2015
- Harvey Birdman, Esq.: You're going to rely on 90's era litigation in o...
- Firebug2006: "What will be law here, is an impossibly, deliber...
- Harvey Birdman, Esq.: The petition suggests a phase-in period, but the p...
- Nancy Young: Thank you for your lifelong support of public educ...
- DENICE ANNA CONEY: Just what I was looking for. That helped me a lot....