IUKA (AP) — A standoff in Northeast Mississippi ended with gunfire that killed the suspect and a law enforcement agent and the wounding of three others. Authorities say the gunfight left a Mississippi law enforcement agent dead and three state troopers injured and followed a six-hour standoff, during which a man holed up in his […]
Tag Archives | law enforcement
Most of us have probably “run afoul of the law” and been given a citation that we were required to pay or hauled into court and justice served with a more hefty fee and fine. The good folks of this world, admit their blunder, promise the judge they will be more careful and […]
Classes begin across Chickasaw County last week and if you drive a vehicle we expect you to slow down and be ever mindful that kids are back in school. Those big yellow school buses are painted that color for a reason and even a glimpse of that shade should shout caution to any responsible driver. […]
MEMPHIS – No charges are being filed at this time against a Pontotoc County Sheriff’s deputy who was involved in a shooting on Beale Street on Saturday morning in Memphis. A public information officer with the Memphis Police Department said the details of the shooting were presented to the Shelby County District Attorney’s Office, and […]
OKOLONA – Preparing for any emergency is never an easy task and trying to prepare for an unexpected disaster pushes the envelope even further. But over 40 representatives of local and area entities gathered Feb. 4 to try to do just that. The Chickasaw County Emergency Management office organized a tabletop exercise, facilitated by Todd […]
tipThere are several stories in this week’s newspaper dealing with crime. A Social Security scam, burglaries and a crackdown on curfew in the City of Houston grabbed the headlines. Houston is not in the midst of a crime wave. Okolona, Houlka and even little ole Woodland have their share of crime, too. We hope each […]
Law enforcement uses a lot of tools to track down law breakers and one of the most telling and accurate is DNA profiling. Also called DNA testing, DNA typing or genetic fingerprinting – DNA profiling is a technique employed by forensic scientists and law enforcement to assist in the identification of people by their […]
HOUSTON – Some children and youth struggle with their plans for adulthood, but Tyler Thomas has already set his cap for the future. Thomas, 7, states emphatically he wants to be a policeman when he grows up and has already made friends on the force in Houston. “Every time he sees us, he’s just fascinated,” […]
by Patsy R. Brumfield NEMS Daily Journal HOUSTON – A special judge Monday found Okolona Assistant Police Chief Ramona Robertson guilty on three counts and dismissed a fourth. Judge Ernest Cunningham, from Marshall County, fined Robertson $600 plus court costs after hearing testimony all day surrounding her Dec. 7, 2012, arrest by the Mississippi Highway […]
- EDITORIAL: Tourism Tax Facts May 19, 2016
- Houston wins state baseball championship May 23, 2016
- CONSOLIDATION: The Commission May 23, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Tourism tax and consolidation May 23, 2016
- Okolona addresses blighted property May 24, 2016
- Toppers’ Smith shuts out Newton May 26, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Helping those who help us May 26, 2016
- NEWS BRIEFS: Feeding program, driver’s license and county election commissioners May 25, 2016
- Pugh earns WBC Business Award May 25, 2016
- JAY HUGHES: Threats and promises from lawmakers May 24, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...