OKOLONA – The City of Okolona has a history of supporting military personnel and soldiers. Long-time resident, Pat Sistrunk, said the city logo, “The Little City that Does Big Things,” is based on one such example. “During World War II, the town of Okolona sold more war bonds per capita than any other town in […]
Tag Archives | Iraq
MAYSVILLE, N.C. – Sgt. Philip Stephen Shook, 29, passed away on Saturday, Nov. 9, 2013, at New Hanover Medical Center after injuries sustained in a motorcycle accident. He was a dedicated and decorated Marine who served two tours in Iraq and one in Japan with 10 years of service. His last unit assignment was with the […]
At the eleventh hour on the eleventh day of the eleventh month in 1918, an armistice, or cease-fire, went into effect ending the fighting in World War I. After four long years, the “Great War” was over. President Woodrow Wilson had called it the “war to end all wars” and the war “to make the […]
Halloween is over and that means next stop is Thanksgiving. I noticed several churches in the area are doing some kind of “Days of Thanksgiving” countdown to Nov. 28. Life is hard, but a quick look around shows we truly do have a lot to be thankful for in Chickasaw County. I get so fed […]
OKOLONA – They are sending in Mississippi boys to tidy up Afghanistan as the draw-down in the war there wraps up in 2014. The 858th Engineering Company/Horizontal, with a depot and armory in Okolona and headquartered in Calhoun City, will leave for final training at Camp Shelby around the first of August as they prepare […]
- Parents reminded that school attendance is mandatory for children January 20, 2015
- BIRTH: Sawyer Blayre Yeatman January 24, 2015
- Alford earns ICC scholarship January 24, 2015
- Do legislators really know better than voters? January 24, 2015
- Deputies raid underage party in Mooreville, adult charged January 24, 2015
- Arrested party host identified January 27, 2015
- United needs to fill 300 jobs – quickly January 27, 2015
- Battle of Okolona re-enactment set January 27, 2015
- Comer is chairman of ICC Trustees January 26, 2015
- Houston ponders tourism tax January 26, 2015
- Royal Chocolate: Great to see progress in my hometown!...
- Cherry Walker: I had heard this woman's name before so I did som...
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...