All of us have watched with interest the legal wranglings of the George Zimmerman trial and a little closer to home the latest filings of our very own Attorney General Jim Hood concerning Mississippi’s new open-carry law. As a hunter, reporter, husband, father and red-blooded American, I have to say I am a little concerned […]
Tag Archives | hunting
Landowners, sportsmen, and professionals can learn techniques to manage Mississippi’s white-tailed deer population during four upcoming workshops. Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks with Mississippi State University’s (MSU) Extension Service and the College of Forest Resources will offer the two-day workshops in Starkville and Biloxi. The first set of workshops is July 12 and […]
Over the past several hunting seasons, Mississippi deer hunters have harvested some of the largest white-tailed deer on record. Mississippi is beginning to be acknowledged as one of the top white-tailed deer states in the nation. This was recently highlighted in the June/July issue of Outdoor Life magazine. Outdoor Life ranked Mississippi seventh in the […]
HOULKA – Loyd Carrol Warren, Sr., 81, passed away at his home, surrounded by his family, on Sunday, Feb. 17, 2013. He was born on Oct. 6, 1931, in Pontotoc County. He was retired from Franklin Corporation where he had held many jobs. He was a member of Shiloh Baptist Church but had attended First […]
Will Miller checks a snare he set in hopes of trapping a wild hog in Western Clay County. The wild hog population in Clay County has grown exponentially within the past decade. Wild hogs, sometimes referred to as feral pigs, are swine that were once domesticated and were released or escaped into the wild. (AP […]
Mississippi’s third white-tailed deer gun hunting season opened Dec. 24 and will run through January 17. Hunting with dogs is allowed during this season. Legal deer include either-sex on private lands and legal bucks only on open public lands. Open public lands may include National Forests and Corps of Engineers lands that have statewide seasons […]
- Okolona briefed on Trace Regional changes August 25, 2014
- EW downs Vardaman in season opener August 28, 2014
- Eight-man Eagles open season August 28, 2014
- This is the way we roll! August 29, 2014
- Volunteer and make a difference August 29, 2014
- CUNNINGHAM: Common Core linked to federal dollars September 1, 2014
- Hands of Hope September 1, 2014
- BRASSFIELD: Thank you Chickasaw County! August 31, 2014
- ALLEN: First day at new job August 31, 2014
- Jori Abi Boston August 31, 2014
- Lolette: Well since most people work during the week dont y...
- Carol Mac: I went to the Tupelo run, and I have some advice f...
- Candace R.: If that isn't nepotism, what is??? The solution ...
- Linda Huffman: Our home school policy is a joke. Some of these ch...
- Pat Southerland: It is interesting to see that Mrs. Dendy is resign...