The Commission on Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks has approved dates for the 2013-14 dove season. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service provides a window of dates from which states may select specific season dates. The 2013-14 dove season will be similar to previous seasons with a few minor changes. Once again, Mississippi hunters will enjoy […]
Tag Archives | hunting
All of us have watched with interest the legal wranglings of the George Zimmerman trial and a little closer to home the latest filings of our very own Attorney General Jim Hood concerning Mississippi’s new open-carry law. As a hunter, reporter, husband, father and red-blooded American, I have to say I am a little concerned […]
Landowners, sportsmen, and professionals can learn techniques to manage Mississippi’s white-tailed deer population during four upcoming workshops. Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks with Mississippi State University’s (MSU) Extension Service and the College of Forest Resources will offer the two-day workshops in Starkville and Biloxi. The first set of workshops is July 12 and […]
Over the past several hunting seasons, Mississippi deer hunters have harvested some of the largest white-tailed deer on record. Mississippi is beginning to be acknowledged as one of the top white-tailed deer states in the nation. This was recently highlighted in the June/July issue of Outdoor Life magazine. Outdoor Life ranked Mississippi seventh in the […]
HOULKA – Loyd Carrol Warren, Sr., 81, passed away at his home, surrounded by his family, on Sunday, Feb. 17, 2013. He was born on Oct. 6, 1931, in Pontotoc County. He was retired from Franklin Corporation where he had held many jobs. He was a member of Shiloh Baptist Church but had attended First […]
Will Miller checks a snare he set in hopes of trapping a wild hog in Western Clay County. The wild hog population in Clay County has grown exponentially within the past decade. Wild hogs, sometimes referred to as feral pigs, are swine that were once domesticated and were released or escaped into the wild. (AP […]
Mississippi’s third white-tailed deer gun hunting season opened Dec. 24 and will run through January 17. Hunting with dogs is allowed during this season. Legal deer include either-sex on private lands and legal bucks only on open public lands. Open public lands may include National Forests and Corps of Engineers lands that have statewide seasons […]
- Pearson to be honored by state October 22, 2014
- Futral hired as Houston City Clerk October 21, 2014
- County revisits dog law October 17, 2014
- Public wants access to school facilities October 23, 2014
- Houston clicks on all cylinders October 23, 2014
- Field day planned for forages, beef October 24, 2014
- Crash ruptures gas line, blocks traffic on Hwy. 8 October 24, 2014
- Hebron downs Central Academy, 38-6 October 24, 2014
- FLOYD INGRAM: Sticks and stones . . . October 24, 2014
- Houston investigates racial slur October 24, 2014
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...
- Sad for Our Kids: Bravo! You've done your job as an advocate for a...
- Tammy Pettit: I get that you and I know several others are upset...
- Lolette: Well since most people work during the week dont y...