Special to the Chickasaw Journal Ms. Mickey M. Latham and Mr. John H. Clark, Jr., together with their families, are pleased to announce their forth coming marriage. Mickey is the daughter of Mrs. Alma and the late Walter L. Tumblin of Houston. John is the son of Mrs. Dora Ree and […]
Tag Archives | Houston School District
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal VAN VLEET – It is the kind of event emergency responders hope never happens, but one they must be ready to respond to at the highest level. Area firefighters, ambulance crews, police and sheriff’s deputies were part of a school bus wreck training exercise hosted by the […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Attorney’s have begun taking depositions from both sides involved in a lawsuit between the Houston school district and the contractor and architect responsible for re-roofing the Houston School of Science and Technology. Former school board trustees, contractors and those involved in the 2010 decision to […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Third grade is a big challenge for kids and the state mandated Third Grade Reading Gate has made is a challenge for some school districts. But not Houston. The Houston School District, and specifically the Upper Elementary School, saw 95 percent of the third graders who […]
HOUSTON – Public school are open to all, but Houston School District will be monitoring where students live this fall. The first day of school will be Aug. 6 and district officials are urging parents and guardians to attend Open House from 4-7 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 5, to pick up schedules and iron out any […]
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – Mississippi Board of Education Chair Wayne Gann of Corinth and state Superintendent of Education Carey Wright issued statements Friday defending the enactment of national Common Core academic standards after Gov. Phil Bryant called them “a failed program.” In a statement released Friday, Gann, the former superintendent […]
This is the time of year when we take a look back at 2013 and at the same time look forward to 2014. It’s a bittersweet time of year. There have been weddings and funerals, cars bought and trucks crashed, profits and losses, good times and sad times. I try not to dwell too much […]
HOUSTON – In today’s technological world, quick and easy communication is always at one’s fingertips and the Houston School District is offering parents one more way to stay in touch. The district revamped their website this year to offer more information and services including site-specific updates from each school. By going to the district website […]
The Chickasaw County 4-H Clubs are heading up a community service project called, “Fall Fun and Games Day,” which will be held Oct. 25 at the Chickasaw County Agri-Center in Houston. This day is held for special needs students attending the Houston School District and Chickasaw County School in Houlka. We are now including the […]
Now that school has gotten firmly in the groove, it is common to see our yellow buses, or as they are affectionately called, “the yellow dogs,” on the road morning and afternoon. Our district transports over 1,500 of our 2,000 students twice each day. The drivers crank up early each morning around 5:30 a.m. in […]
HOUSTON – Trustees for the Houston School District are facing lean times with state and federal revenue dropping and the price for everything else going up. The district has proposed a 2013-14 revenue budget of $14,864,728.50 which is down from actual 2012-13 expenditures of $14,948,616. Trustees had proposed a revenue budget of $15,191,446 last year. […]
- Snag it November 19, 2015
- Judgment and experience November 21, 2015
- Welcome home! November 22, 2015
- WEDDING: Rushing / King November 22, 2015
- Houlka Trustees address leave, texting policy November 23, 2015
- EDITORIAL: Shop local November 26, 2015
- FBI to investigate incident at Ole Miss game November 25, 2015
- Mennonite conference bringing influx of visitors to downtown Tupelo November 25, 2015
- MSU Alumni Association announces 2015-16 student delegates, officers November 25, 2015
- Okolona urges parents to keep kids in school November 24, 2015
- Harvey Birdman, Esq.: You're going to rely on 90's era litigation in o...
- Firebug2006: "What will be law here, is an impossibly, deliber...
- Harvey Birdman, Esq.: The petition suggests a phase-in period, but the p...
- Nancy Young: Thank you for your lifelong support of public educ...
- DENICE ANNA CONEY: Just what I was looking for. That helped me a lot....