The good newspaper should be a catalyst in its community, oiling the efforts of widely varying groups to achieve a reasonably smooth, balanced flow of progress. It seeks to provide coherence to scattered and sometimes conflicting objectives, enabling its community to get a better view of priorities and ways in which joint efforts may prove […]
Tag Archives | Hope
HOULKA – A stormy night didn’t keep Houlka parents from coming out to learn ways to keep their children safe. HOPE and the School Health Council sponosred a meeting April 14 with Jean Vaughan of the Mississippi Attorney General’s office to discuss Internet safety and how to prevent cyber bullying. “It was a really good […]
CHICKASAW COUNTY – The father often plays a shadowy role in the bulk of teen pregnancies, but the numbers show that when men are active fathers the child, the mother and the man all do better. There was a day and age of shotgun weddings and social rules that said a boy and girl […]
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.” – Martin Luther King Jr. “Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” – Martin Luther King […]
I am the father of four boys and the youngest is trying to get his driver’s license. At age 54, if the mother of my children came to me and said she was pregnant I would probably fall through the floor. I know the hurdles of raising children. I know the demands of a baby. […]
Sara and I celebrated our Silver Wedding Anniversary on Tuesday. That may not seem like much to the Golden Anniversary crowd but we are sort of proud of our 25-year mark. We went out to eat and there was a gift. Marriage and age have changed us, but she is still the most special human […]
HOUSTON – On your mark, get set, help your friends and neighbors. The semi-annual Pink Ribbon 5K will be held Saturday in conjunction with the Spring Flywheel Festival and offers exercise enthusiasts an opportunity to compete for a good cause. The event is sponsored by Team Hope Houston to raise money to assist those affected […]
The boys have gotten a little too old and too cool for the full-blown Easter thing at my house. But don’t worry we will still have Peeps, jelly beans and a ham. We will all get up on Sunday morning and go to church. Then it is off to my mother’s house for lunch and […]
By Emily Wagster Pettus The Associated Press JACKSON — Mississippi Gov. Phil Bryant signed a bill Thursday that could lead to student-led prayer over school intercoms or at graduations or sporting events. The American Civil Liberties Union said the measure, which becomes law July 1, is likely to prompt a lawsuit in the school year […]
- High school state test scores released November 18, 2015
- WEEK 14: High School Football Capsules November 20, 2015
- Topper hoopers fall to Bulldogs November 20, 2015
- Judgment and experience November 21, 2015
- Welcome home! November 22, 2015
- MSU Alumni Association announces 2015-16 student delegates, officers November 25, 2015
- Okolona urges parents to keep kids in school November 24, 2015
- Parents reminded that school attendance is mandatory November 24, 2015
- Houlka Trustees address leave, texting policy November 23, 2015
- WEDDING: Rushing / King November 22, 2015
- Harvey Birdman, Esq.: You're going to rely on 90's era litigation in o...
- Firebug2006: "What will be law here, is an impossibly, deliber...
- Harvey Birdman, Esq.: The petition suggests a phase-in period, but the p...
- Nancy Young: Thank you for your lifelong support of public educ...
- DENICE ANNA CONEY: Just what I was looking for. That helped me a lot....