Special to the Chickasaw Journal STARKVILLE – Mississippi State University’s police force arrested a freshman Thursday after he made threats to harm himself and others on campus, which led to a campus lockdown. Authorities later said, however, they found no gun and believed no shots were ever fired at the university. Phu-Qui Cong “Bill” Nguyen, […]
Tag Archives | homicide
Special to the Chickasaw Journal TUPELO – Law enforcement in Calhoun County and the city of Baldwyn continue to look into the manner of death after two bodies were found last weekend. Baldwyn police were notified around 7 p.m. Friday that there was a body in some bushes along South Second Street. Officials found Jessie […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal CALHOUN COUNTY – A man’s body with multiple gunshot wounds was found this morning on County Road 308 in Calhoun County. Around 10:30 a.m. Saturday, two people were traveling east on CR 308 when they noticed what they thought was an unconscious person in a ditch next to the […]
The Clay County Sheriff’s Department Investigators have charged Brittania Smith, 24, of 904 Hillside Park, West Point with capital murder. Clay County Sheriff Eddie Scott said the arrest stemmed from the death of her 2-month-old infant, Brinston Smith. Scott said authorities were notified on Monday, April 7 by the Mississippi Crime Lab that the infant […]
HOUSTON – A Circuit Court docket that held 91 cases at the first of 2013 has been whittled down to 63 during the final term of court this year. Judges, attorneys and court personnel were busy in the September term of Chickasaw County Circuit Court, disposing of more than a third of the cases on […]
WOODLAND – The Chickasaw County Sheriff’s Department is investigating a domestic dispute that apparently turned into a homicide about 7:30 p.m. Tuesday night. Authorities were called to an accident on Highway 15 south of Houston and found a black male deceased and have taken a black female into custody. Investigators are not releasing the names […]
HOUSTON – Authorities continue to investigate leads and gather evidence in the death of Ray “Shorty” Bevill, but have yet to make an arrest. Bevill was found dead in his 206 Aberdeen Road home of stab wounds on April 15 after relatives had not seen him in two days. “We are getting closer to making […]
HOUSTON – Preliminary autopsy reports and other evidence has been returned to local law enforcement concerning the death of Ray “Shorty” Bevill at his home east of town over the weekend. The state crime lab has finished their initial investigation and has said Bevill died from multiple stab wounds and that he suffered defensive type […]
HOUSTON – Authorities are investigating an apparent murder at a home east of town and are asking the community for help in gathering information. The Houston Police Department was called to the home of Ray “Shorty” Bevill, 75, at 206 Aberdeen Road Monday after friends and family could not get him to come to the […]
HOUSTON – A Chickasaw County man has been charged with murder and could face arson charges stemming from two incidents just east of the Natchez Trace on Highway 8 Sunday morning. Authorities were initially called to a report of a car on fire near Pumphrey’s Grocery about 5:30 a.m., and their investigation led to a […]
- Snag it November 19, 2015
- WEDDING: Rushing / King November 22, 2015
- Houlka Trustees address leave, texting policy November 23, 2015
- Parents reminded that school attendance is mandatory November 24, 2015
- Okolona urges parents to keep kids in school November 24, 2015
- Topper season finale November 26, 2015
- FLOYD INGRAM: A reason to be thankful November 26, 2015
- County upgrades fingerprint machine November 26, 2015
- EDITORIAL: Shop local November 26, 2015
- FBI to investigate incident at Ole Miss game November 25, 2015
- Harvey Birdman, Esq.: You're going to rely on 90's era litigation in o...
- Firebug2006: "What will be law here, is an impossibly, deliber...
- Harvey Birdman, Esq.: The petition suggests a phase-in period, but the p...
- Nancy Young: Thank you for your lifelong support of public educ...
- DENICE ANNA CONEY: Just what I was looking for. That helped me a lot....