By Dennis Seid Daily Journal A little more than a week before schools reopen, retailers and shoppers are gearing up for the fifth annual back-to-school sales tax holiday. Mississippi’s sales tax holiday starts Friday at 12:01 a.m. and ends Saturday at midnight. The sales tax break will help shoppers on clothing and shoes that are […]
Tag Archives | holiday
Daily Journal Northeast Mississippi’s unemployment rate was 8.4 percent in January, up from December’s 7.6 percent rate. But the figure isn’t a cause for alarm. Despite the increase, the rate was almost two percentage points lower than a year earlier. And January’s rate marked the fourth-lowest unemployment rate for the region since 2008. The numbers […]
HOUSTON – First someone stole the lights that have been draped from the top of the Chickasaw County Courthouse and then aldermen began looking at the cost of hanging snowflakes in the trees on the Courthouse Square. The Houston Board of Aldermen may not pay Natchez Trace Electric Power Association to put up and take […]
HOUSTON – A series of car break-in has prompted local law enforcement to warn local residents not to leave anything of value in their vehicle. Houston Police Chief Billy Voyles said the culprits broke into one car in broad daylight but appear to be cruising city neighborhoods at night looking for unlocked cars. “They broke […]
WOODLAND – In the dark hill country of south Chickasaw County, over a million lights shine each evening in Woodland every night during the holiday season. Now in its fourth year of the festive display, the town has decorated again this year for the delight of children and visitors to the town. The lights officially […]
HOUSTON – In the busiest shopping time of the year Mississippi Attorney General Jim Hood reminds consumers to shop with caution. “Whether you’re shopping at the mall or online, it is important for consumers to get prepared in order to not only save time and money, but also to avoid scams and identity thieves,” said […]
• First Baptist Church Houston will host its annual Singing Christmas Tree at 6:30 on Dec. 14 and 15. The music will be performed by Kantangello and the Kidz Praise Choirs. • The Parkway Baptist Sanctuary Choir will perform the Christmas musical/drama, “The Christmas Offering,” at 10:15 a.m, Dec. 15. • Houston First United Methodist Church […]
HOUSTON – There were clothes, art, food and the finest in holiday fashions at the Second Annual Houston Holiday Bazaar. Six local businesses banded together with Historic Hometown Houston to host the bazaar at First United Methodist Church on Dec. 6, with the public invited in to look at what is on sale this […]
HOUSTON – This is a season of gifts and giving but there are some who want to take and steal. The Christmas holiday season usually sees an increase in crime as homes and cars fill with gifts and crooks start looking for easy targets to fill out their own Christmas list. “We just urge people […]
Houston Holiday Bazaar and Fashion Show is set for Friday, Dec. 6 at the First United Methodist Church Family Life Center on North Jackson Street. The event is open to the public and will feature the latest styles and fashions and all the trendy gifts and items on sale at local business this holiday season. […]
Here it is the latter part of November and I found myself raking leaves at the Ingram Plantation in a t-shirt on Saturday. It rained Sunday, but that only made things muggy and humid. The sun even poked it’s head out Sunday afternoon to end the day on a beautiful note. But Thanksgiving is around […]
HOUSTON – Pat Jones knew Mike Wall, as did many in this close-knit community in the spring of 1970. Wall was a lieutenant in the U.S. Air Force when was shot down in Vietnam piloting an intelligence gathering EC-47 and died in the crash. Jones, who also flew in the 1970’s and currently flies for […]
HOULKA – The little town of Houlka hosted one of the biggest Christmas parades the community has seen in years last week. A dozen floats, fire trucks, antique cars and horses and carriages paraded down Highway 32 and through downtown Houlka Saturday night Dec. 8. The parade was capped by a float featuring Santa Claus […]
- Process of returning stolen property is detailed. April 20, 2015
- Hilltoppers eye playoffs April 23, 2015
- FLOYD INGRAM: Flywheel fun starts Friday April 23, 2015
- Houston honors best and brightest April 23, 2015
- Houston hosts Flywheel Festival April 24, 2015
- Pugh Inducted Into Alpha Chi April 27, 2015
- Candidates cautioned on placing signs April 27, 2015
- DANIEL GARDNER: Presidential politics for 2016 April 26, 2015
- Locals serve on Indian Delegation April 25, 2015
- State benefits from Natchez Trace Parkway visitors April 24, 2015
- Kansas and Mississippi become 8th and 9th states to allow carrying without a permit - Crime Prevention Research Center: […] The Kansas and Mississippi governors hav...
- Tg007.net: if you want the town to grow stop taxing the busin...
- i’m engaged, you can be too | architecture | equality: […] the design and related impacts of a new...
- Royal Chocolate: Great to see progress in my hometown!...
- Cherry Walker: I had heard this woman's name before so I did som...