HOUSTON – Chickasaw County is dotted with Indian mounds with the Owl Creek, Bynum and Thelma mounds giving a little insight on how people lived in this area thousands of years ago. The Chickasaw County Historical & Genealogical Society hosted Dr. Janet Rafferty, professor of the Department of Anthropology and Middle Eastern Culture at […]
Tag Archives | history
HOUSTON – The Indian mounds in Chickasaw County probably raise more questions than they can ever answer. But the Chickasaw County Historical & Genealogical Society will offer some answers at a program set for 7 p.m. Oct. 17 at the Chickasaw County Heritage Museum on Woodland Circle in Joe Brigance Park. Historical Society President […]
A book signing will be held with Jan Dyson from 1 to 3 p.m. Thursday at the Houston Carnegie Library. Dyson, a Houston native, will be signing copies of “Turning Clay Into History: The Story of W.D. Suggs Pottery” recently published by Dyson. The book chronicles Dyson’s connection to one of the first industries in […]
HOUSTON – One hundred years ago, O.E. Baird and E.E. Baird bought a shop downtown and this month the third generation of Bairds will celebrate a century of work at that location. Bobby, Doug and Rob Baird still go to work at the shop at 221 North Jefferson each day turning parts, forging fittings and […]
HOUSTON – Genetic data and technology won’t help you find out about your relatives, but it can help tell you where they came from and who they are kin to. Dr. Henry Outlaw, retired professor of chemistry at Delta State University, spoke at the Chickasaw County Heritage Museum last week about ways to use this […]
OKOLONA – When administration at Okolona High School approached Autumn Bankhead with a request to direct the choir for the Black History program in February, she was in her element. Bankhead, currently the Assistant Librarian, taught music in the district for over five years and has volunteered her assistance with the marching band’s color guard. […]
HOUSTON — The Chuquatonchee Chapter of the DAR has awarded Cameron Byrne, its top honor for her grades in history at Houston High School. Byrne earned the chapter’s Outstanding Work in American History Award with a 98.7 grade in the class. “We are always so proud to recognize those students who excel in history,” said […]
Dear Readers, Hi! My name is Chloe S. I am a fifth grade student at Harlan Intermediate School in Harlan, Iowa. My class is studying the history and geography of the United States. I am so excited I picked your state. I would really appreciate it if you would send me pictures, maps and a […]
By Jan Dyson Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON — The ladies of the Chickasaw County Homemakers Club were surprised at the history, records and artifacts that fill seven rooms in the Chickasaw County Historical and Genealogical Society. Houston’s best kept secret lighted the faces of the ladies as they strolled through the building […]
- Mary Walker December 10, 2013
- BILLY McCORD: As I See It December 7, 2013
- Primitive weapons season underway December 7, 2013
- Five generations December 7, 2013
- Debra Thompson December 7, 2013
- Mary Walker December 10, 2013
- Take a bite out of Christmas crime December 10, 2013
- Quail season is open December 10, 2013
- Bobby Barrentine December 9, 2013
- BUCK SHOT: Garrett Benson December 9, 2013
- Iggy: I am from the uk and just watching worlds strictes...
- Houlka Homecoming is tonight! | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Look who’s reading now! […]...
- Houlka Homecoming is tonight! | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Houlka gym renovation […]...
- Linda: He does NOT make it right. I ordered beef from him...
- Reed Jones: Greenwood's division record is 5-0....